Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 07:23   #1

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
New Toys' Continuing Adventures ....

Well, here it is, a month later. After suffering a fairly nasty knee injury, I was unable to do much at all over the first two weeks of June. But, I finally started to be able to limp around and get my carcass up the ladder, so the new Toy, (Kona Winds) is just about ready to be launched. I was able to get in with a group survey at the club a week or so ago, and got that done with minimal pain. The old gent came out, banged on her with his percussion hammer a few times, took some notes and was done in about an hour and a half. Only problems of note is some delamination of the deck structure, (oddly I've not been able to find where it was) and the missing master switch for the electrical system. (found that underneath a shelf, mounted on the bottom of said shelf). The survey came back with a value of $5000 for the boat, so I had it insured as such, with an additional $200 for the ancient O/B and $1500 for the trailer. At $5000 I'm ahead of the game by a goodly amount.

I've replaced the one missing shroud turnbuckle, and the VHF antenna. A new battery is installed, and she's ready. My only problem is sorting out the mess that is the old Chrysler outboard. It appears that it's cobbled together out of bits from at least 3 different engines. It supposedly works but I'm lost as to how the thing is hooked up as the tiller is gone and the PO supplied me with a throttle control with cables. So, I've done some calling round to find an outboard shop that can put it together and re-label the wiring leads.

First shop I called went into shock when I told them the make and model. They have no idea what to do with it, they only work on new engines, preferably Japanese. Anyway, I found an older gent who remembers them quite well, having been in the business for some 45 years. So its off to the shop on Monday for a check over, puzzling out the linkages and a test run. If all goes well, I should be tossing her in the water next Friday. If the engine proves to be a pig, I'm going to spend the coin on a new Honda 8hp and when I sell off Kona Winds, I'll put back the old Chrysler or sell her without a motor. I'll keep the new Honda for my dink.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:30   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: New Toys' Continuing adventures....

SK, I have a Honda 9.9 4 stroke long-shaft I'm willing to part with on reasonable terms. It needs a carb clean-out, but it's in good condition and served me on a Zodiac RIB for several seasons.

PM me if interested. It's perhaps a smidgen too big for you, however. Weight is about 105 lbs.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote