Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2012, 07:52   #166

Boat: Sailboat
Re: Lightning Strikes

Copy of ABYC TE-4:

http://www.marinesurveyorschool.org/...Protection.pdf
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 08:51   #167

Boat: 1984 Johnson Boatworks Inland Scow, 20' and a 1975 sailMFG Bandit 19 Pocket Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Always wondered if that was what it was, I have never seen it since on any other boat. Somehow I thought it was more.. Well Like flickering orange streamers rather than just a greenish glow. Thanks

It's actually the same effect as the Northern Lights, emission of photons from the ionization of the component gases of the atmosphere.
Old 23-07-2012, 09:26   #168

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe

It's actually the same effect as the Northern Lights, emission of photons from the ionization of the component gases of the atmosphere.
Say what. Okay I have no idea I thought northern lights were mass coronal ejection from the sun. St Elmo's fire was static charge. Both have something to do with ions but really not similar. Or at least I thought interesting so please expand.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 09:49   #169
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

northern lights, aurora borealis, is awesome to watch--very very impressive show. so many colors when i saw in copenhagen----i have never seen st elmos fire.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 09:53   #170

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Some great information here. I'm convinced that my next haul out there will be some lightning bonding. I'm still not a believer in bonding thru-hulls as some people do to the AC ground. But this makes sense when you're talking about lightning blowing holes in my little ship.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 11:03   #171

Boat: 1984 Johnson Boatworks Inland Scow, 20' and a 1975 sailMFG Bandit 19 Pocket Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Say what. Okay I have no idea I thought northern lights were mass coronal ejection from the sun. St Elmo's fire was static charge. Both have something to do with ions but really not similar. Or at least I thought interesting so please expand.
Both are the result of emission of photons due to the exitation of the gases and associated with magnetic fields. The Aurora is associated with the planetary magnetic field and how the excited particles trravel along the ba==magnetic liness, creating energy discharge in form of photons, and SWt Elmo's Fire is photonic emission of gases fluorescing due to surface magnetic fields along the surface of the mast. Both are the result of the same weak force interactions, just different scale and different energizing source.
Old 23-07-2012, 11:18   #172

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24

I woke up this morning to what I'm thinking is some kind of scientific phenomenon...and now i have this question nagging at me and was hoping someone could help....
I looked in the mirror and my head looked bigger and im wondering if gathering too much information in a very short expanse of time could actually make your brain swell? Hmmm....i asked Arnold, beings we're old friends from my body building days and he assured me.....it's not a too-ma!

In any event i would like to say that i can appreciate everyones opinion and have learned alot about lightning! Now i think i'll go get an advil
I
goldiphlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 11:35   #173

Sorry, goldi.....

Occupational hazard of being a science geek.
Old 23-07-2012, 12:19   #174

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Thanks, sounds very nasty, there goes my smug "I don't need to worry 'bout lightnin' I've got a steel boat" look.

Maybe I need to investigate some better protection, I am more scared of lighning at sea than just about anything else.

I wonder what the worst is that could happen to a steel boat, and how bad it would effect anybody aboard?
From American Boat & Yacht Council, Inc, TE-4 "Boats with Metal Hulls. If there is electrical continuity between metal hulls and masts, or other metallic superstructures of adequate height in accordance with the Lightning Protective Mast of this document, then no further protection against lightning is necessary."

I cannot agree with the above from TE-4 because I think an effort should be made to protect electronics with Faraday cages and lightening protection devices such as Industrial Communication Engineers, LTD.
and Lightning Protection . I have to do more reading about Faraday cages. From what I have read so far, the energy from a lightning strike that forms an electromagnetic pulse is below the 1 megahertz frequency (the middle of the AM band, like in your car) and this is what kills the VHF, HF, autopilots, alternators, electronic Diesel engine injection controls, GPS, depth finders, lap top computers, radar any just about anything else with integrated circuits in them.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 13:08   #175

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
I woke up this morning to what I'm thinking is some kind of scientific phenomenon...and now i have this question nagging at me and was hoping someone could help....
I looked in the mirror and my head looked bigger and im wondering if gathering too much information in a very short expanse of time could actually make your brain swell? Hmmm....

No...actually, I think swelling of the head is due to persistent self focusing.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 13:23   #176

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor

No...actually, I think swelling of the head is due to persistent self focusing.
Wrong it's a known phenomena caused by micro polymer thermal expansion of fixed plate substrates. Not sure how I know that.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 13:29   #177

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Wrong it's a known phenomena caused by micro polymer thermal expansion of fixed plate substrates. Not sure how I know that.
Lol
goldiphlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 13:56   #178
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post

I cannot agree with the above from TE-4 because I think an effort should be made to protect electronics with Faraday cages
Isn´t a steel hull just a big faraday cage?

And I'm a bit concerned about faraday overcrowding. If we keep using all the cages then soon the all the faradys will have to be jammed into the last few cages

Poor things.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 19:35   #179

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Isn´t a steel hull just a big faraday cage?
And I'm a bit concerned about faraday overcrowding. If we keep using all the cages then soon the all the faradys will have to be jammed into the last few cages
Poor things.
How long do Faradays live? Maybe they will die out and there will be plenty of room, or are they like Tribbles? Eating everything in the boat stores especially if there is no quadra triticale and born pregnant too. I just dated myself didn't I to 1967 when Captain Kirk delt with the Tribble problem.

As for the steel boat, it is a big Faraday cage, but still the electronics can take a huge hit in there. Could be a power surge comes in on the power supply line, or maybe the antenna and these power surges need be taken out before entry into the big Faraday cage, or maybe the electromagnetic pulse gets into the cage by way of the mast that penetrates the cage caused by the lightning strike, a huge current spike on its way to a grounding plate in seawater.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 20:29   #180

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
How long do Faradays live? Maybe they will die out and there will be plenty of room, or are they like Tribbles? Eating everything in the boat stores especially if there is no quadra triticale and born pregnant too. I just dated myself didn't I to 1967 when Captain Kirk delt with the Tribble problem.

As for the steel boat, it is a big Faraday cage, but still the electronics can take a huge hit in there. Could be a power surge comes in on the power supply line, or maybe the antenna and these power surges need be taken out before entry into the big Faraday cage, or maybe the electromagnetic pulse gets into the cage by way of the mast that penetrates the cage caused by the lightning strike, a huge current spike on its way to a grounding plate in seawater.
A steel boat will not be a perfect faraday cage or even a very good one unless all the portholes are covered with steel plates and the hatches likewise.

Understand that an aluminum boat will not provide the same overall protection as a steel boat. While the aluminum boat will provide the same protection against direct electrical currents, there will be no protection from magnetic fields which can induce electrical currents in conductors already inside the faraday cage.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lightning