Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 18:33   #1

Boat: PETERSON 44
Let the celebration begin and anchor techique

Annually I enjoy the summer misnomer called anchoring. This should mean setting ones hook into something that assures the staying power of one's fortunes. The celebration is Independence Day.
Having just witnessed the first display of independence on this soon to come holiday I continue my rehash of how to not get hooked.
One should not in most cases power full steam in search of the great anchorage. Your anchor is not a dart that must hit an exact spot and it need not have velocity to attach itself. Please sweaty man dude let the girl in the bikini push the throttle knobs. You have much greater bulk and will have slightly better luck hanging onto the chain that is flying out of the hold. She will hear you yelling as you should be upwind. Let the anchor find the bottom before you spool out every link of chain. Then allow the chain to fall slow as the boat eases back. We don't go full throttle Balls to wall levers tagging the red back arrows. Dragging the steel thing hoping it finds some lost sunken heavy treasure. After plowing up the harbor don't give up unless you are on my lee side.
Once anchored do some math. If your in 10 feet and the bikini says she saw the first red thing that could mark 20 feet you need her to see about 3 more red things. You will need to know the amount of chain that each red thing marks.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 19:24   #2

Re: Let the celebration begin and anchor techique

I got a call to skipper a Moorings catamaran charter boat tomorrow night, $250 for ~4 hours. I thanked my friend for thinking of me, and I'll be watching the fireworks from the shore with my family!

New Years and 4th of July : no way.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 19:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Let the celebration begin and anchor techique

Personally... I could not be less interested..
But... being stuck in NY against my will I guess I'll have to put up with it...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 19:58   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We are the fire works for down the Bayou!! We ( really me) way over bought on the fire works last year on a trip to see Connies sisters near St Louis. Any way I ended up with over 400 rounds of 2 1/2 and 3 in morters!! Going to have a few folks over for some shrimp, and ribs on the bar-b and fireworks at sunset !! Will be thinking about yall ! Have a happy 4th and stay safe !!
Old 03-07-2013, 20:00   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

And boatie, get yourself to Nawlins, and we will feed ya up for a while if ya wish !!
Old 03-07-2013, 20:23   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Let the celebration begin and anchor techique

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
And boatie, get yourself to Nawlins, and we will feed ya up for a while if ya wish !!
Mon ami... Thanks for the invite..
But I'm just lookin for the 1st boat outa here... no offense... but I'm more comfortable E than W..
Itsa food thing..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:23   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44
I think it's good fun if you take care. Especially for the kids. Really nothing like a good display when the works are right over the boat.
Boaters need to know how to anchor safely. It's not that hard. Even though we keep making it seem like its the most important difficult sailing thing.
I think it's a something to celebrate and recognize. The alternative is we have reliance day. Where no one can do anything without a certificate and approval. That I want no part of.

In the mean time ill be wary and somewhat amused by how some boaters think an anchor is set. Your not Queequeg with an anchor instead of harpoon.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 23:22   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Yup...Going to flight test my new 44lbs. Rocna at Clipper cover behind Treasure Island in S.F. Bay...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:30   #9

We are anchored at our dock in Racine WI. The fireworks happen next to the marina. We are using the ding to go to lunch since the street is block for the parade. Boomer said we have 12 gal of margarita mix this year. I reminded him that we don't have anyone coming down this year. He re-reminded me that he expects each boat to carry their weight...food and drink, we have plenty of that. About 20 of us on the same dock. We all consider this group as family (https://sites.google.com/site/docke7yachtclub/).

Lake Michigan sailors stop in. By the way most of the dock is powerboats. Boy the make good condos.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 13:19   #10

I've anchored for a few fireworks show. ALWAYS up wind. Last time I watched several down wind vessels get covered in burning embers!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote