Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 14:11   #31

Re: I can't stop the leaks!

re: dolphinite

Anyone that says it never hardens is full of it. We spent hours and hours chiseling out old dolphinite from our hull to deck joint. It had hardened to the point that it was like cement. Ask any Westsail owner if they think dolphinite will harden up over time, you'll get an ear full.
Old 08-08-2014, 14:52   #32

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Way View Post
...So what's the purpose of the caulk?...
To seal (really).

A layer of tape, alone, can work its way out, continuing to squeegee out from between the mating surfaces. A bead of caulk both seals and bonds, helping to prevent the butyl tape's migration.

I installed a clear Lexan blanking plate in place of an opening hatch, using butyl tape for the seal. This, to create a place to mount a life raft. After a few years, nearly all the tape has worked its way out of the joint (which can be easily seen through the clear Lexan).
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 14:59   #33

Thanks glen gonna give it a go

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 15:05   #34

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post

Anyone that says it never hardens is full of it. We spent hours and hours chiseling out old dolphinite from our hull to deck joint. It had hardened to the point that it was like cement. Ask any Westsail owner if they think dolphinite will harden up over time, you'll get an ear full.

I agree - 30 years in marine trades... It had its place back when and made for a lot of re-bedding work...
My current boat had all the hardware put down with Dolphinite - it dried out and had leaks galore. Now I'm experimenting with butyl tape from Main Sail to avoid the mess of other materials currently in use (Before using on client boats). After three years... Good so far. I'll report back in 5 yrs... But I think it will be fine. Have come across its successful use with many Canadian boats over the years.
And yes - countersink / chamfer all fastener holes no matter what you use

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-08-2014, 17:40   #35

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
To seal (really).

A layer of tape, alone, can work its way out, continuing to squeegee out from between the mating surfaces. A bead of caulk both seals and bonds, helping to prevent the butyl tape's migration.

I installed a clear Lexan blanking plate in place of an opening hatch, using butyl tape for the seal. This, to create a place to mount a life raft. After a few years, nearly all the tape has worked its way out of the joint (which can be easily seen through the clear Lexan).
Thanks, Terra Nova!

Yes, I've noticed that. It does stop migrating after a while though.

I forgot to add in my previous post about using acetone, always use the gray butyl. Much stickier than the black and smears less. I've used the kind Maine Sail sells, and also some from an RV supplier, both with excellent results. The RV stuff is thicker and wider, so easier to apply to a wide area, like a hull-to-deck join.

Fair winds,
Jack
The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 18:27   #36

Boat: Northstar 8020

Just wondering.....do they NOT sell 4200 down there?
Igotnuthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 18:59   #37
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotnuthin View Post
Just wondering.....do they NOT sell 4200 down there?

4200 is old hat. 4000UV is the flavor of the month.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:56   #38

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post

Interesting. I suppose it's possible if used as a seam sealer, with plenty of exposure to water washing out all the oils - certainly after
30 years exposure it could degrade. Although as a bedding compound It can skim up hard but not solid on the surface where exposed to the weather, if used as a bedding compound. When I replaced the toe rail with bulwarks on my alberg 30 the deck joint was packed with some grey putty originally installed in 1968 that had hardened up to rock solid. A verital terror to chip away. Used 4200 to fill all the voids in the joint but went with dolphinite to bed the new bulwarks and seal the thru deck bolts. No leaks inshallah as they in Abu Dhabi.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:38   #39

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I mounted a few things with butyl tape from Mainsail, and it has worked its way out from under them too. My davits and stanchions both developed leaks and I have grey specs all over my deck (wd40 gets it off easy). Sabre bedded the hull to deck with it too, and I have to clean it off the hull often. Typically, this is when the boat really heats up.

I now use 4000uv just because it is easy to find.

Tags
leaks