Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 21:01   #1

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Only One Thing Can Stop Me Now

For the past year I have been planning to "chuck it all" and go sailing. I had only one thing holding me back and today that has been removed.

Now all that stands in my way is divesting myself of my physical anchors that bind me to the land, house, cars and other "junk".

Plus one other thing. My company has just started a new project that is so interesting and cool that I may stay just to see it get off the ground. It would involve a 1 year stint in Russia, some place I have never been. I would be divesting myself of all my anchors before I go so it would be a year of free pay and expense account living. No bills in the states and all that money going into the bank.

I will know if I get the assignment in the next two weeks. I hate putting off the escape for a year but this might be worth it.
Old 05-02-2011, 21:30   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Good on you Don,
You will feel lighter the more you divest. We do not own material things, they own us. Eventually I hope to condense down to only what is needed for life aboard. Within the next couple of years.
Old 05-02-2011, 23:16   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fareast, Mariner 40'
Welcome aboard CF!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:07   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Hi, Don. I know you from Anything-sailing.com .

If you feel your health and patience can spare the year, I'd go for it, because if you've effectively cut your ties to shore, and will have expenses paid in Russia, the money you earn is 100% cruising kitty, minus the costs of whatever you pay to have your boat stored.

It also means that some of the technologies you might wish to install, like broadband radar, AIS, satphones and GPS-transmitting EPIRBs, might be that much cheaper next year.

The only caution I would have is that you have to be scrupulous about "winterizing" the boat, even in a warm climate. "Pickling" your diesel, water system, waste system and so on, and making sure the electrics don't turn into green mush could take a bit of time, but will be worth it if you can put a bag of loot into your treasure chest in 2012.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 00:14   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good for you. Cruising is getting closer.
kind regards,
Old 10-02-2011, 03:18   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I'd say Welcome aboard as well... but I think I did that last year....lol
Go for the Russia job... its a country of the cruise trail so take the guided tour with pay... good luck mate...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 13:01   #7

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Hi, Don. I know you from Anything-sailing.com .

If you feel your health and patience can spare the year, I'd go for it, because if you've effectively cut your ties to shore, and will have expenses paid in Russia, the money you earn is 100% cruising kitty, minus the costs of whatever you pay to have your boat stored.

It also means that some of the technologies you might wish to install, like broadband radar, AIS, satphones and GPS-transmitting EPIRBs, might be that much cheaper next year.

The only caution I would have is that you have to be scrupulous about "winterizing" the boat, even in a warm climate. "Pickling" your diesel, water system, waste system and so on, and making sure the electrics don't turn into green mush could take a bit of time, but will be worth it if you can put a bag of loot into your treasure chest in 2012.
Very well advised.....except I don't have a boat yet. I am looking at a 40' Columbia though, and it looks good. If I don't go to Russia it may be the boat. It's already on the hard, winterised and shrink wrapped, so I may go for it anyway. I will have the CASH to buy her, but new boats are available every day. Why pay for a year on the hard? It's not like she's the only option out there.