Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 19:03   #16

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)
Re: Doubting myself

Hi Twoblocktom,

If I can make a suggestion. Before you try to find the right boat, go interview a few different boat brokers and find one that you can work with. Some brokers are excellent, others are not. A good broker is one that will ask you dozens of questions to find out what your needs and limitations are, than will make some recommendations as to suitable boats for you. A bad broker is one that tries to sell you whatever listings he has in house before he knows your last name.

A really good broker should be able to help you better pre-survey a boat before getting to the offer stage and help you from surveying a boat that has issues. Like in real estate the seller not the buyer pays the commission. It really pays to find a top notch yacht broker first, and then go through the process with them working for you. We;ve bought two sailboats this way with few surprises afterwards.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 13:02   #17

Good luck finding the boat of your dreams! Sounds like you will really appreciate it when you do!
Shawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 15:27   #18

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Well here is a thought. Can you leave beautiful Colorado and go live and work in say San Diego? Or the East Coast? Florida? Then join a yacht club sail on several boats see them in the water learn the lines and lingo. There is nothing like good practical experience. Maybe you can even find one to live on for little money and see if you like it. You may not like it. There always seem to be more Sellers than Buyers so don't be in a rush.

I lived in Colorado for many years and was introduced to sailing on the Boulder Reservoir. I even had a couple buddies I knew from Potters, who left Boulder bought a boat in La Push set off to sail around the world. They hit a rock, sank the boat almost drowned and returned beaten, broke and never wanted to sail again. Or even get on a boat. But they did have a good story to tell.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 15:35   #19

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Hey Shawna, good to see you! Glad you are still out in the wild water. I sent you a PM earlier today hope you got it and Merry Christmas. Sunseeker
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 15:49   #20

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
I lived in Colorado for many years and was introduced to sailing on the Boulder Reservoir. I even had a couple buddies I knew from Potters, who left Boulder bought a boat in La Push set off to sail around the world. They hit a rock, sank the boat almost drowned and returned beaten, broke and never wanted to sail again. Or even get on a boat. But they did have a good story to tell.
That's a sad tale Sunseeker. I'm not sure anyone would call it "inspiring".