Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2016, 10:29   #1

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Chasing Bubbles

I recommend the documentary film Chasing Bubbles . The film is 1 hour 24 mins and is free to watch on YouTube.

Following the life of Alex Rust as he tries to find meaning by sailing around the world we share intimate moments behind the facade of a continuous party. Without knowing the ending, right from the film's start we know there has to be a bad ending.

I think any cruiser, aspiring to sail long passages will find some gems in this film. The highs and lows, the breakdowns, the near misses, and the accidents. Above all the friends one makes along the way.

And nope I have nothing at all to do with the film, and had never heard of Bubbles or any her crew until yesterday when I stumbled upon the film under the You Tube recommendations. But I really do think it an excellent film about their 3 year circumnavigation.
Old 27-09-2016, 10:57   #2

Re: Chasing Bubbles

... 'discussed' here too:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ry-173203.html

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 15:28   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Just saw the link and watched it. Incredible person(ality). I would probably be a nervous wreck sailing with him. For Alex, the boat was a vehicle to take him to places where he could live life on the edge.
I'm glad I watched it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 14:00   #4

Boat: Jensen, Cal 25, Tayana 37

Alex is my kindred spirit! He lived and he wrote his own ending!
nnb4oc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:32   #5

Boat: Santana2023

I'm all about an adventurous spirit but seeing the opening with zero knowledge makes me cringe. Yes, we all started somewhere but to not even open the cover of the book to learn the basics, i.e., stopper knot or how to even maneuver is just ridiculous. I've known people who bought their own boat with no experience sailing but they would constantly ring me asking advice and wanting to absorb as much as possible before they actually attempted to sail.
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:38   #6

Also, I'm amazed their reefing job didn't fail and destroy the main.
Old 05-10-2016, 13:14   #7

Sometimes even documentary makers use a little poetic licence.
Being 100% with the truth would likely have made a somewhat duller story.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:55   #8

Personally, I'd love to know how people can fund these ventures. Yes, some sell off all their possessions and persue them, but others from a few documentaries I've seen, including one which resulted in the sinking of the vessel and multiple deaths seem to come from someone financially backing it. My wife made me a deal. I want to sail around the world with other disabled veterans. Sailing is my method of coping with PTSD and I've introduced sailing to other vets in my area. She laughed and said "when you can get someone to pay for it, go right ahead!".
Old 06-10-2016, 11:52   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingOtter View Post
Personally, I'd love to know how people can fund these ventures. Yes, some sell off all their possessions and persue them, but others from a few documentaries I've seen, including one which resulted in the sinking of the vessel and multiple deaths seem to come from someone financially backing it. My wife made me a deal. I want to sail around the world with other disabled veterans. Sailing is my method of coping with PTSD and I've introduced sailing to other vets in my area. She laughed and said "when you can get someone to pay for it, go right ahead!".
Actually, many people, veterans included, have opened all kinds of outdoor schools & programs that help (other) veterans cope with things. Both psychological & physical. So it is possible I think.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingOtter View Post
Personally, I'd love to know how people can fund these ventures. Yes, some sell off all their possessions and pursue them, but others from a few documentaries I've seen, including one which resulted in the sinking of the vessel and multiple deaths seem to come from someone financially backing it. My wife made me a deal. I want to sail around the world with other disabled veterans. Sailing is my method of coping with PTSD and I've introduced sailing to other vets in my area. She laughed and said "when you can get someone to pay for it, go right ahead!".
The people that sail around the world make the choices to do so. They’re usually not rich. Many manage their travels on very little. But you’ve raised the question of your own background. All I know about you is the little bit you’ve mentioned above. But an example of someone in a similar situation was Ronnie Simpson. He was severely injured by driving over a bomb (Iraq from memory), and I think he was the only one that survived. Months in hospital recovering and then he ends up with seriously reduced eye sight. But he didn’t let it get him down.
Bought a little boat and started to sail. He did some races including some blue water. At some point the cruising bug bit deep and so he bought a boat and sailed west. Crossed the Pacific and then decided on a different life course.
He funded his trip with basically nothing. He bought the best boat he could afford, a Cal 27 called Mongo (less than 5K). People on this forum talk about all sorts of gadgets needed before you leave for an ocean trip: water makers, radars, huge outboards for the dinghy, air con, humidifiers, second alternators, battery banks etc etc. Mongo didn’t have any of that sort of stuff, she didn’t even have an engine, she was primitive. For electricity I think she had two old car batteries and a cheap solar panel from Walmart.
To pick up a bit of cash along the way Ronnie did occasional deliveries, and wrote a handful of articles. He may also have had a small pension from the Marines. But he certainly never ate much steak. He also helped develop a Vet sailing charity (in San Diego I think).
I heard that eventually he decided to stop travelling. So he sold his boat in New Zealand and flew back to the US to gain a university degree.
He stopped his web site sometime back, but here's a link to Sailing Anarchy article he wrote. Will give you an idea. He had a few set backs.

Alex with Bubbles obviously did it differently. He had a better budget, although I have no idea how his trip was funded. But it’s not uncommon to find vessels sailing in similar situations, where the friends aboard all contribute towards the cost. Which seems only fair. The food and booze and repairs must be paid for.

And there are costs of course over and above money. Being shut off from family for months at a time is my personal concern (obstacle).

At the end of the day though it’s all about how each individual chooses to live their life.