Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2016, 07:54   #1

An interesting documnetary thats worth a watch - Chasing Bubbles

Pretty inspiring story about a guy that decided to toss it all in at once and sail around the world. Sorry if it's already been posted, but a Google search did not show any results.

TETO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 08:46   #2

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: An interesting documnetary thats worth a watch - Chasing Bubbles

Not good enough internet here in India to download but kinda know it's about Alex Rust. He had a fast passage 39. Meet him in the Galapagos. He had a great time partying around the world with a multitude of inexperienced crew. A don't worry attitude that worked out for him.
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 12:57   #3

Boat: CSY 44 Walkthrough
Chasing Bubbles - documentary

If you have an hour and a half, check out the YouTube documentary "Chasing Bubbles", you will see what adventuring on a sailboat is all about. Just saw it... 5 out of 5 stars! Here is the trailer:
Old 24-09-2016, 14:17   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Chasing Bubbles - documentary

Already posted in another thread. The mods may like to merge them:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2219547
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 14:56   #5

I caught that on my Utubes feed. was going to post it up, till I got to the last 10 minutes of the movie. the ending sucked. I hated old yeller too.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 14:59   #6

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

Awesome !
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 05:03   #7

... definitely worth to watch!

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 15:16   #8

Re: An interesting documnetary thats worth a watch - Chasing Bubbles

Just watched this tonight and was about to post the link to it. Absolutely inspiring story about a young lad's search for the meaning of life. Highly recommend!
Oli
Toyboata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 15:28   #9

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

Watched it last night. All I can add is that this young man lived his short life to its fullest. Very inspiring, and thought provoking.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 20:17   #10

Boat: Pearson 367

Meh, I thought it was boring. This is more of an in memoriam video than a true doc.

Reasons I didn't like it;
Alex and his crew think that most circumnavigators sail non-stop. This is complete nonsense.

There is a difference between risk and unnecessary risk. I remember a part where a crew member got hit in the head and almost went overboard. The crew member commented that they threw away all the life vests a year ago. Why?

Also the boat almost ran aground on a reef because the skipper wanted to save a few hours. Are you kidding me? I doubt they even had an epirb and the captain is being careless.

Since most of the interviews were conducted after Alex's death, they have a form of "idol worship." which I was a little put off by.

I'm sure my comments will spark a few comments. I just saw someone who was an extreme extrovert and he needed people around to feed his own ego.

Overall this story reminds me a lot of Chris McCandless and the film "Into the Wild." Chris was more of an introvert while Alex is an extrovert.

Alex had a can do attitude which is commendable but what if family and friends hadn't come to his aid to repair the boat when he didn't have any skills?
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:14   #11

Boat: C&C, 27 Mark V

Some of those are valid questions and points.
Alex does say "I've got to be the worst sailor to every sail around the world and make it"
I think what makes it an interesting story, is that Alex represented the other extreme of sailors - inexperienced, underequipped, but fearless about taking the leap, and sail away from a coastline.

In fact, all of these interviews, save one, were shot before Alex died, not after.

And yes, I'd agree Alex was a charismatic, extrovert. Like to have a lot of people around all the time. And yes, in that way he would have been McCandless' opposite. Another thing I thought was interesting.
TopherTopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:46   #12

Was a nice enough fellow who was definitely larger than life and partied hard - if only he didn't kill lizards in Galapagos and protected wildlife.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 11:16   #13

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Well, I have a different take.

I liked the documentary. I liked Alex, on screen. He would be very fun in very small doses.

There was a lot he did without regard to anyone but himself. Perhaps he was even a sometimes bully coercing and cajoling his friends to do what HE wanted to do.

But he was also not afraid to test limits. Of course this can often result in catastrophe but for many of us, we are too held back by the question of "what if' and we allow that question to slide into fear, worry and self recriminations that we call "wisdom and prudence". But, for me at least, the "wisdom and prudence" really just stops me from reach out and testing myself deeper.

In a way, Alex was like an adventurer without cause and goal. I imagine he share characteristics with some of the greatest explorers but without the cause and goal he often pushed for the wrong reasons. Perhaps.

I am not at all like Alex. But I might be improved, or at least my enjoyment of life, might be improved if I had just a little itty bit of Alex's attitude.
Old 26-09-2016, 13:16   #14

Boat: Pearson 367

Anyone else think that Alex got ripped off when buying bubbles? $70k? I really had to go back to the film to make sure he paid that much. I don't know about engine hours but that interior was well worn. I've seen better boats on CL for half the price.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 13:26   #15

Boat: C&C, 27 Mark V

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Anyone else think that Alex got ripped off when buying bubbles? $70k? I really had to go back to the film to make sure he paid that much. I don't know about engine hours but that interior was well worn. I've seen better boats on CL for half the price.
"Bubbles" was a Fast Passage 39' In my limited research making the movie, they often fetch upwards of $100,000.
TopherTopher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men