Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 02:40   #1

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Yachting SUCCEED - Jessica Watson

OK this is the positive Jessica Watson thread!!!

Go Jessica.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Old 05-10-2009, 03:28   #2
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I think I saw quite a bit of envy in the Jessica (and parents) bashing thread. Go Jessica and best wishes.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:31   #3

Safe voyage Jessica.
I have had the pleasure of talking with one of her mentors, and I can assure you that they are not crazy people with no experience.
The breaking of records (damm we are doing that a bit too much lattely if you are worried about your kids) is a human constant. Better to support the willing and reasonably equiped , rather than by "regulation" put it in the hands of the desperate to be noticed.

She is doing it because it is difficult. Very Difficult.

Go Jessica. A Million angry kids are playing kill people games on various "game" machines right now.

I would rather your dream....
Old 05-10-2009, 04:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Safe voyage, Jessica.

Astounding - a thread dedicated to assuring ourselves that we are right, and that all is well; without the messy necessity of legitimate debate.
Let’s all congratulate ourselves on being right - it’s so much easier than seeking truth.

I don’t think we have to set up little battles, where we demonize people with whom we disagree. The beginning of thought is in disagreement; not only with others, but also with ourselves.

Disapproving of the mission does not imply disapproval of the troops.
Pointing out that the troops are ill-equipped for the mission does not imply criticism of the troops.
Doubting that the mission can be successfully & safely carried out, as intended, does not imply a wish for the mission to fail. Fearing failure is not wishing for failure.

In this specific case, fearing for Jessica's safety, is NOT WISHING HER HARM!!!

Patriotism is NOT “My country - right or wrong!"
Patriotism IS: “My Country! When right keep it right; when wrong, set it right!” (Carl Schurz), or as Edward R. Murrow put it: “We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian1956 View Post
... I for one want progress, and positive encouragement in the thread. I'm tired of reading comments from "half empties" I'm a "half Full" person and I recognize a few more like me who have participated in this thread. Let's go and be supportive.
While the glass might be characterized as either half full, or half empty, either fact leads me to believe the glass may be too big.

Fabian may be right - Jessica's glass may be only half full.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:14   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Safe voyage, Jessica.

Astounding - a thread dedicated to assuring ourselves that we are right, and that all is well; without the messy necessity of legitimate debate.
Let’s all congratulate ourselves on being right - it’s so much easier than seeking truth.

I don’t think we have to set up little battles, where we demonize people with whom we disagree. The beginning of thought is in disagreement; not only with others, but also with ourselves.

Pointing out that the troops are ill-equipped for the mission does not imply criticism of the troops.
Doubting that the mission can be successfully & safely carried out, as intended, does not imply a wish for the mission to fail. Fearing failure is not wishing for failure.

Patriotism IS: “My Country! When right keep it right; when wrong, set it right!” (Carl Schurz), or as Edward R. Murrow put it: “We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it.”

While the glass might be characterized as either half full, or half empty, either fact leads me to believe the glass may be too big.

Very well said Gord,
Perhaps when the next anchoring, gun, etc thread appears, some of the same principles you put forth will be seen by all who chose to post a response as well.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:30   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
In the words of some dead yank politician - "we choose to do these and the other things - not because they are easy but because they are hard". Well done young lady for having a go. I hope you succeed but if you dont at least you had a go.

Its an Australian thing Gord - having a go is viewed as far more preferable than having an opinion.

As Wayne Bennet said (again an Australian thing) there are two sorts of people in the world those that play the game - get dirty- get hit - miss tackles and make mistakes, and there are those that sit on the hill and tell the players how to do it better.

On you Jess for playing the game not just talking about it.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:36   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

"and there are those that sit on the hill and tell the players how to do it better."

Sometimes, when you are higher up, you simply have a better view of things,
Old 05-10-2009, 05:47   #8
Marine Service Provider

No mate - you just think you do cause you aint copping the bit hits. Funny how spectators think they know best.

I think the septic term for them is Monday Morning Quarter Back
Old 05-10-2009, 05:52   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
No mate - you just think you do cause you aint copping the bit hits. Funny how spectators think they know best.
Funny how you assume many of the spectators haven't taken the big hits long before the new players ever arrived.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:58   #10
Marine Service Provider

Thats true tellie - I suppose in my world those that have played the game usually dont feel the need to tell the next generation how to do it, they tend to play their game and move on.

We probably shouldn't torture this analogy to much further.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:59   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Thats true tellie - I suppose in my world those that have played the game usually dont feel the need to tell the next generation how to do it, they tend to play their game and move on.

We probably shouldn't torture this analogy to much further.

Fair enough.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:06   #12

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
We have to suspect that the Media had a hand in the hype.
Most cruisers set off without a destination.
She's a little different in declaring her aims but she's done the solo legs by duration before and knows what she's at.
The social workers were right to take the situation into consideration. She is a junior and deserves protection. I hope they found her parents sound, caring and inspirational.
Where did the explorers of the past come from? Darwin from wealthy dis-interested parents. Fitzroy, his captain, was the true explorer, and founder of the UK Weather Bureau. Broke him financially and physically. Where will the future explorers come from if we bind our children in cotton wool. She's making the same decision at thirteen that I'm putting off making at 63.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:14   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Safe voyage, Jessica.

Well said, Gord!
Old 05-10-2009, 06:43   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Its an Australian thing Gord - having a go is viewed as far more preferable than having an opinion.

As Wayne Bennet said (again an Australian thing) there are two sorts of people in the world those that play the game - get dirty- get hit - miss tackles and make mistakes, and there are those that sit on the hill and tell the players how to do it better...
Do I understand correctly, that in your opinion, one can either have an opinion, or have a go.

Robert Benchley, in his Law of Distinction, stated that “There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.”

I believe that there are actually three kinds of people in the world: Those who think there are two kinds of people, those who think it's not that simple, those who know math, those who don’t, and hot naked chicks.

Wolfgang Pauli, an irascible early 20th-century German physicist, had three escalating levels of insult for colleagues he deemed to be talking nonsense: “Wrong!”, “Completely wrong!” and finally “Not even wrong!”. By which he meant that a proposal was so completely outside the scientific ballpark as not to merit the least consideration.

Factor's premise is either a false dichotomy or it isn't.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:50   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
... As Wayne Bennet said (again an Australian thing)...
Who played football, then went on to COACHING the game.

Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson