Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2009, 08:12   #886

Boat: PETERSON 44
doesn't mean she is not being tracked you just don't know her track.
Old 27-10-2009, 08:16   #887

Boat: C&C 121 40ft - Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Just as there are lingering questions about whether she was under power when she rammed the Silver Yang at 7 kts, there will be questions about why she needs to not be tracked when her only claim to fame is that her position is changing as she supposedly sails around the world, non-stop and un-assisted.

-Sven
First part i agree with still unanswered questions...Second,,They will give out tracking information shortly(they have said this several times already) so you can see where she is at important points along her voyage..(my guess is when she arrives position wise around the equator) other than that no she will not be giving a daily alert for the public to follow.. Dont you understand why they are doing this... you want a day by day video of this to feel at ease... Here is my EXACT LON and LAT so every freeking NUT in the world can plot her!!!!
Old 27-10-2009, 08:22   #888
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt gay rum View Post
First part i agree with still unanswered questions...Second,,They will give out tracking information shortly(they have said this several times already) so you can see where she is at important points along her voyage.. other than that no she will not be giving a daily alert for the public to follow.. Dont you understand why they are doing this... you want a day by day video of this to feel at ease... Here is my EXACT LON and LAT so every freeking NUT in the world can plot her!!!!
Hey, all I am saying is if the fear is about her personal physical safety (i.e. that some cretin is going 1,000 miles out to sea in the middle of the South Pacific to intercept a poor, young maiden), the fear seems overwrought at best. If her safety is such a major concern, why did they let her go in the first place? The family should be much more worried about the weather, her route, her relative inexperience, etc. than about dirty old men.
Old 27-10-2009, 08:29   #889

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
If she wanted to do a private sail around the world she probably shouldn't have made all the PR announcements about how she was going to sail around the world in a shockingly pink boat.

Every potential shot of her boat at sea is additional publicity for her sponsors. The only possible downside would be if she should happen not to be where she claims, or happens to be tied up to another boat, or is clearly under power.

None of these questions would have been very pressing if it weren't for the blatant spin by her handlers and the defamation of the skipper of the Silver Yang when trying to deflect attention from her culpability.

-Sven
Old 27-10-2009, 08:36   #890

Very good point and the only ones that can answer that is the Watson Family,, but the deceision was made and as a father I would make every effort to make this adventure as safe as possiable .. Period.. I'm sure they have checked with the powers to be as what they need to do when to do it and where to do it...But again very good point ...Damn why are women so stubbern... LOL only kidding !!!!
Old 27-10-2009, 09:16   #891
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1965 Cal 30
Position tracking - interesting twist

With all the real - or perceived - technology to determine her location (and the debate about whether she is really making the voyage!), here's something interesting to ponder.

I've been creating these graphics to show her approximate position to the readers of my articles. This has been done to just give a sense of perspective on the immensity of the ocean and how little 100 nautical miles is on her journey up to the equator.

This one is an expansion of the latest article posting. Way up at the upper right, you'll notice two markers. The turquoise marks the equator at this longitude; the pink marks the Line Islands, Kiribati.

In Jessica Watsons website - in the discussion related to her route - she notes that she will round this site before heading down to the south.

Since this is nearly 180nm north of the equator, I wonder whether this is planned to allow some type of physical verification of her crossing the equator.

I have no idea why this would be the case - except to counter the doubters that she is actually making a voyage.

Murph'
Old 27-10-2009, 09:43   #892

Boat: Baba 35
Quote:
Andrew Fraser reported...While her shore team is in contact with her and has precise position information to prevent news media from seeking out Ella's Pink Lady for photography or video enroute. "She just doesn't want to be annoyed with choppers and planes,"

Case in point!!!!!!!!!! and yes any tabloids etc would find a way to reach her...
Now that makes sense.

I would hope in the future once people quiet down a bit that she posts delayed waypoint information so everyone could see where she has been.
Old 27-10-2009, 09:48   #893

Murph,, makes sense to me ,, good observation...
Old 27-10-2009, 10:38   #894
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMurph View Post
This one is an expansion of the latest article posting. Way up at the upper right, you'll notice two markers. The turquoise marks the equator at this longitude; the pink marks the Line Islands, Kiribati.

In Jessica Watsons website - in the discussion related to her route - she notes that she will round this site before heading down to the south.

Since this is nearly 180nm north of the equator, I wonder whether this is planned to allow some type of physical verification of her crossing the equator.

I have no idea why this would be the case - except to counter the doubters that she is actually making a voyage.
Murph'
I believe your assumption that she intends to loop around Kiritimati (Christmas Island) in the Republic of Kiribati (pronounced KEER ih boss) is incorrect Murphy. You've noted how far north of the equator it lies. Your assumption seems to be that Kiribati is only one island - it is, in fact, composed of many islands and is made up of the former Gilbert Islands, the Phoenix Islands and (most of) the Line Islands.

If her website is being completely truthful, it is the Line Islands (comprising the east end of Kiribati) for which she is heading. Only eight of the former Line Islands are a part of the Republic of Kiribati, and the one closest to the equator actually lies south of the line - Jarvis Island. But she could round Jarvis in a way that would take her north of the line without having to go all the way to Kiritimati to "prove" she'd gone north of the equator.

If I were routing her voyage, I would have her head for Baker Island, instead. Baker is not a part of the Republic of Kiribati. It's much closer to the equator (only about 14nm north of the line) and, though uninhabited, holds a marker beacon. Photos of the island from her vessel showing the marker beacon would verify that she had gone north of the equator.

I suspect the very vague description of her route is in keeping with the overall lack of specifics that have marked this venture to this point. If the decision to keep her exact location secret is for the purpose of ensuring her safety, I wouldn't argue with that. It seems reasonable.

However, enterprising paparazzi will learn the various ways of getting a good fix on her vessel, in time, and there will undoubtedly be those who will actually go out looking for her when she nears land (Cape Horn), either by air or aboard a big, powerful vessel. Footage of her little pink boat being abused as she rounds Cape Horn will be very valuable, indeed.

TaoJones
Old 27-10-2009, 11:08   #895

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Daw-gone witch hunt around here.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 27-10-2009, 11:20   #896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Daw-gone witch hunt around here.
What else floats ?

-Sven
Old 27-10-2009, 11:57   #897

Ok what are we gonna talk about when she does show pictures and way points??????
Old 27-10-2009, 12:05   #898

Quote:
Ok what are we gonna talk about when she does show pictures and way points??????
How impressed we are by her ability despite her lousy PR & spin-crew.

-Sven
Old 27-10-2009, 12:09   #899

Quote:
How impressed we are by her ability despite her lousy PR & spin-crew.

-Sven

WOW!!!!!!!! you just dont get it !!!! But hey its all good no worries!!!!
Old 27-10-2009, 12:14   #900
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1965 Cal 30
Quote:
What else floats ?

-Sven
I know: Witches

Sorry, Sven. I couldn't resist!
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson