Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2009, 18:25   #916

Boat: Tasman elite Cat
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson
Give the kid a break
If she succeeds some will say she cheated.If she fails most will say I told you so.My 2 cents on the subject she's up and running so lets give this aussie battler some positive encouragement.I hope she succeeds and makes sh-t loads of money
cheers Steve
Old 27-10-2009, 18:27   #917

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - If the WSSRC has discontinued the category, and I think I read a few hundred posts ago that "the other" record keeping body also discontinued the category - then Jessica cannot displace Jesse Martin as he is the last record holder "on record." And that would also imply that there are "no rules" that she has to follow since the "official recording organizations" will have nothing to do with her. She is therefore strictly in the "unrecorded record" category.
- - Taking that a step further means that the motivation is not to "set a record" but to "sell a record" or in her sponsors cases, cosmetics, etc. and she is looking to the personal financial gain from books, media appearances, etc. Maybe is it like ancient Roman times and her parents are throwing her to the lions of waves and winds to make money.
Exactly so.

And to the chagrin of a certain amount of people, GordMay said it like it is:

It's a stunt.

Perfectly slotted in into the category that it is:

the "stunt" category.
Old 27-10-2009, 18:32   #918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
CF isn't about a public trial about actions and inactions at sea. In all cases in the past great tragedies always follow great speculations. Needless to say the speculations exceed realities. We are not here to debate publicly about the real actions taken and not taken. This is not TV. The consequences of all this take time to play out publicly yet the Internet is live now.

CF will not be used as a forum to, debate the actions and inactions of real people in public. We are better than that. This set of events has to play out in more appropriate forums before we are going to entertain rash speculations by arm chair sailors here.
This comment was made by a CF moderator on page 2 of this thread - how quickly people forget...

Not sure that the issue of whether the motor was running is not even relevant. It's clear from the preliminary report that the collision was not caused by one or other vessel's intepretations of the power vs. sail right of way rules. Jessica admits not being aware of the ship, so the issues to be addressed (by those with full knowledge of the facts) don't relate to how she was propelled at the time.
Old 27-10-2009, 18:33   #919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Thompson View Post
Give the kid a break
If she succeeds some will say she cheated.If she fails most will say I told you so.My 2 cents on the subject she's up and running so lets give this aussie battler some positive encouragement.I hope she succeeds and makes sh-t loads of money
cheers Steve
I hope she does too.

Incongurous though.

To "do this" or get "there" you need to defy the odds.

To capitulate and "go with the flow"

Defeats the purpose of it all in the first place.

Unless?
Old 27-10-2009, 18:44   #920

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradix View Post
This comment was made by a CF moderator on page 2 of this thread - how quickly people forget...

Not sure that the issue of whether the motor was running is not even relevant. It's clear from the preliminary report that the collision was not caused by one or other vessel's intepretations of the power vs. sail right of way rules. Jessica admits not being aware of the ship, so the issues to be addressed (by those with full knowledge of the facts) don't relate to how she was propelled at the time.
Linus? Is that you?

Dragging your blanky all over the show?

Facts are facts.

Pictures are facts.

The effort from all quarters to "pretend" the "intrepid" Jess is the "real deal"

keeps fueling the "hey where're your coordinates" "just input them in with each and every blog"

Or ?
Old 27-10-2009, 19:01   #921

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12,800ft View Post
Linus? Is that you?

Dragging your blanky all over the show?

Facts are facts.

Pictures are facts.

The effort from all quarters to "pretend" the "intrepid" Jess is the "real deal"

keeps fueling the "hey where're your coordinates" "just input them in with each and every blog"

Or ?
I am not "Linus". I am somebody who has know Jess all her life and known her family longer. I stumbled on this forum today. It astounds me how people who don't know her can make judgements on her perceived qualities and the motivations of her and her family, and how they can miss the mark by so far.

I hope you get to meet Jess, whoever you are. You'll find a thoughtful and adventurous young lady who has been entranced by the dream of following in Jesse Martin's footsteps for many years, and has set about figuring out the best way to achieve that goal, starting from the point of having no boat and no money. The introduction of sponsors was a necessary step to getting to the start line. Jessica has never thought beyond the finish line in terms of "getting rich" and if you knew her, you'd know how laughable that assertion is. Likewise the idea that her parents have somehow thrown her into this to further their own desires, financial fame or otherwise.

I understand they have had significant technical issues getting the tracker onto her website, but it should be sorted soon. Maybe then you can find something else to flame her about.
Old 27-10-2009, 19:08   #922

Quote:
How about we [re]define a 'round the world non stop unassisted alone' campaign.

make it nice and snug to fit in to a Pink Lady?
The WSSRC have only recently decided to "discontinue" their category of youngest singlehanded non-stop unassisted circumnavigation. You'll see on their website that they still recognise Jesse Martin as holding that record, however.

Jessica has set her personal goal of abiding by the rules set out by the WSSRC for non-stop unassisted circumnavigation. Those rules are clear and unambiguous. While the WSSRC may decide to continue recognising Jesse Martin as the record holder, even if Jessica successfully acheives her circumnavigation under the same rules, and is younger upon completion, that's their right. But Jessica will have achieved her personal goal, and as you say above, "facts are facts", whether or not the official body deems it appropriate to officially sanction it.
Old 27-10-2009, 19:27   #923

Boat: PETERSON 44
Not wishing to let absurdities die. My 8 year old has out right declined an invitation to make a challenge at the now uncertifiable record. I am looking for participants and sponsors for a new record. The most unqualified to circumnavigate record. I will start a new thread so as not to detract from the in depth analys here. If you are a untested sailor virtual sailing excluded not a goat and game enough to escape the entrapments of sex and drugs ashore
you maybe considered. You should also be able to embelish on comments similar too" I have dreamed of doing something like this my whole life I'm so glad for this opportunity". If you could do this while layingout on a planked pier smiling this may be your opportunity.

BAd bad sabray
Old 27-10-2009, 20:03   #924

Quote:
No.

That's what I said earlier on. Kindly avail yourself of the some 63 post thread here.

"I" said they reconciled themselves to this barstadized collection of 'record setting' 'rules' and then summarily dropped them.
Sorry you've lost me. Who is the "they" you're referring to? (as in "...they reconciled themselves..." ?

And later in your post, what is the "fraud" you're referring to? Who is being defrauded and how?
Old 27-10-2009, 20:39   #925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Thompson View Post
Give the kid a break
If she succeeds some will say she cheated.If she fails most will say I told you so.My 2 cents on the subject she's up and running so lets give this aussie battler some positive encouragement.
Agreed.
Old 27-10-2009, 20:47   #926
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This thread is getting seriously close to the end of its useful life. If no one has anything intelligent to add, or cannot resist indulging in personal attacks, then there is no good reason to keep it open.

Many members have gone so far over the line that it may be impossible to return this thread to any semblance of being a worthwhile exchange of on-topic information. If this continues, you can be sure this thread will be closed.

Come on, sailors and cruisers, you're better than this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

TaoJones
Old 27-10-2009, 21:23   #927

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradix View Post
I am not "Linus". I am somebody who has know Jess all her life and known her family longer. I stumbled on this forum today. It astounds me how people who don't know her can make judgements on her perceived qualities and the motivations of her and her family, and how they can miss the mark by so far.

I hope you get to meet Jess, whoever you are. You'll find a thoughtful and adventurous young lady who has been entranced by the dream of following in Jesse Martin's footsteps for many years, and has set about figuring out the best way to achieve that goal, starting from the point of having no boat and no money. The introduction of sponsors was a necessary step to getting to the start line. Jessica has never thought beyond the finish line in terms of "getting rich" and if you knew her, you'd know how laughable that assertion is. Likewise the idea that her parents have somehow thrown her into this to further their own desires, financial fame or otherwise.

I understand they have had significant technical issues getting the tracker onto her website, but it should be sorted soon. Maybe then you can find something else to flame her about.
Wow, it is great to hear from someone who knows her It is very apparent that she is a remarkable girl. Though I think the route she has chosen is a very bad idea (sorry), now that she is out there I am praying for success and safety. Thank you for your insight, and again, it is nice to meet someone who knows her.

Godspeed Jessica, and Pink Lady.. take care of your captain

Erika
Old 27-10-2009, 21:35   #928

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 46 Ketch "Meanda"
This must be the worst case of "tall poppy syndrome" I have ever encountered. So many people trying to cut her down. Out of all those knockers, who personally knows this girl. Who can make the call on what she should and shouldnt do. I think those that could did and she is on her way. I wish it was me, it would beat this going to work for 12hrs every night.
A bit of a slow start for her with the lack of a good breeze.
Lets look forward and wish her gods speed rather than embarrass yourselves with your ignorance of a complete set of facts to make the big call.
Proud to be an Australian.
Old 27-10-2009, 21:44   #929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Wow, it is great to hear from someone who knows her It is very apparent that she is a remarkable girl. Though I think the route she has chosen is a very bad idea (sorry), now that she is out there I am praying for success and safety. Thank you for your insight, and again, it is nice to meet someone who knows her.

Godspeed Jessica, and Pink Lady.. take care of your captain

Erika
Hi Erika, nice to meet you too.

I'm interested in your opinion on the route and why you think it is a bad choice? Sorry if you've already posted that view somewhere, but I had a quick look and couldn't find it.

Cheers
Old 27-10-2009, 22:36   #930

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Whatever happened to Ronnie?He got blasted on here ,after his poorly planned voyage,but at least he tried.Who will be the next ,to get cut up to pieces ?,... for setting a goal.You can't stop these people,why not show support instead,even if it seems a little crazy.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson