Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 05:15   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Vendee Globe Starts Today, Facts, Video, Discussion

The Vendée Globe is a round-the-world single-handed yacht race, sailed non-stop and without assistance. How fast and how long? The current (2013) race speed record was set by François Gabart. His final race time (the record) is 78 days 2 hours 16 minutes 40 seconds. His average speed was 15.3 knots and covering 28,646.55 miles. Note: the race’s theoretical distance is 24,393.41 miles. WOW!

This video shows today's start of the pinnacle of sailing, as these 60 foot boats are going to sail around the world with just one sailor aboard or "single handed." It is the ultimate test of the sailor (man or woman) and the boat. An incredible race that is about endurance, skill, speed, and very little sleep. This is just the beginning. There are 29 boats competing, but not all will finish this grueling race. It will be about 80 +/- days till they finish.

Here is a link to the LIVE video of the start (Facebook link has video):

https://www.facebook.com/steadman.uh...41839759225348

Here is a link to the LIVE video on Youtube:
https://youtu.be/Gmte4-QN7rs

Here is a link to the Vendee Globe official news page where you can find links to follow the latest reports, links to facts, etc. http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:32   #2

Boat: Comet 41s
re: Vendee Globe Starts Today, Facts, Video, Discussion

Yes, the biggest sail race on the planet started and very interestingly with the older boats having a not so different performance as the new ones.

I am following it on my blog where I have posted some interesting videos.

Have fun following it
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:21   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think it is notable that the first singlehanded round-the-world, nonstop and unassisted Golden Globe race, which captured the attention of the world like the space race did in the 1960s, was won in 1969 by a relatively small and modestly built wood boat: SUHAILI with Sir Robert Knox-Johnston as her captain. SUHAILI was just 32 feet and wood.

Without a doubt, this race caused a worldwide growth in interest in sailing and inspired countless sailors to dream of doing a circumnavigation too.

Some things have changed, but the challenge remains!

The Vendee Globe race started today. This is a Non-Stop, Unassisted, Single-Handed, race that takes 78 or more days to finish. The route is about 28,000nm. It is the pinnacle of ocean racing and because it is non-stop it requires extreme stamina and so much more from the sailor and boat too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1184.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	135192  
Old 06-11-2016, 10:26   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is a very good video showing the route around the world for the Vendee Globe race which started today.

This is a Non-Stop, Unassisted, Single-Handed, race that takes 78 o more days to finish. It is the pinnacle of ocean sailing and because it is non-stop it requires extreme stamina and so much more from the sailor and boat too. Watch!

Video on Youtube
https://youtu.be/U0gFggz6hZ8

Video on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/steadman.uh...42104365865554
Old 06-11-2016, 10:56   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Yeah. Was quite a view. Thousands of people ashore and on the water waving their goodbyes.

Meanwhile, the first one is already back!!! ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:02   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Vendee Globe Starts Today, Facts, Video, Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yeah. Was quite a view. Thousands of people ashore and on the water waving their goodbyes.

b.
Yeah, that would be me.. I always get halfway down the block when I realize I forgot my luggage or toothbrush or cell phone or something...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:08   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

b.

Stay tuned, I am sure we will see a few more heading into port as the race develops.

I will be posting more about VG here in the future, as it is published by the VG site.

Please do the same and let's make this thread a repository for info, photos, and links. I could use your (anyone's) help with that. I would like to see it be a "one stop" thread to make it easy to follow and find stuff.

I have also asked the MODS to edit the title for me to reflect the content, rather than just the start.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:08   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yeah, that would be me.. I always get halfway down the block when I realize I forgot my luggage or toothbrush or cell phone or something...
You would not be alone in that.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:19   #9

Quote:

b.
An old boat sailed by one of the many amateurs that are sailing this race. The Pros and the new boats are already far ahead. Nothing serious he is going to restart tomorrow.

The Vendee Globe is the only sail race that truly can be considered as a main sporting event (if we consider the number of spectators). Not even the America's cup come close. Last edition 22 TV stations of all the world covered the start live. This year the number increased for 33.
Old 06-11-2016, 15:27   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I think it is notable that the first singlehanded round-the-world, nonstop and unassisted Golden Globe race, which captured the attention of the world like the space race did in the 1960s, was won in 1969 by a relatively small and modestly built wood boat: SUHAILI with Sir Robert Knox-Johnston as her captain. SUHAILI was just 32 feet and wood.

Without a doubt, this race caused a worldwide growth in interest in sailing and inspired countless sailors to dream of doing a circumnavigation too.

Some things have changed, but the challenge remains!

The Vendee Globe race started today. This is a Non-Stop, Unassisted, Single-Handed, race that takes 78 or more days to finish. The route is about 28,000nm. It is the pinnacle of ocean racing and because it is non-stop it requires extreme stamina and so much more from the sailor and boat too.
SUHAILI has been restored and is sailing again. Here is something about that:
A Boat of His Own: Suhaili relaunched
Old 06-11-2016, 15:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Ha ha ha!

This one forgot to check his water ballast valves. Next thing this water got onto his electrics ...

I hope no DSQ. The pain of turning back and finding a fix is sure enough of a penalty for this absolutely nice guy.

I watched his interview on departure and he looks 100% a most humble and lovable guy. I am keeping my fingers crossed for his quick return to this amazing race.

He is from Catalunya and we live in Canary Islands. So this is almost as if we were all Spanish ;-) ;-) ;-)

Go Didac, go!!!!!

Cheers,
b.
Old 06-11-2016, 15:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

(...)

Not even the America's cup come close.

(...)
You mean the Latino football event?

b.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:15   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I saw this comment posted by a friend today regarding this race:

"Wonderfully interesting and the subsequent videos as well. 3-4000 have climbed Everest, 700+ have been to outer space, but fewer than 100 have been round the earth alone in a sailing boat."

It is a remarkably rare achievement for anyone who competes in this race and finishes. I admire and respect their skill and stamina and courage too.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:19   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
This is a very good video showing the route around the world for the Vendee Globe race which started today.

This is a Non-Stop, Unassisted, Single-Handed, race that takes 78 o more days to finish. It is the pinnacle of ocean sailing and because it is non-stop it requires extreme stamina and so much more from the sailor and boat too. Watch!

Video on Youtube
https://youtu.be/U0gFggz6hZ8

Video on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/steadman.uh...42104365865554
I really like this video.

One reason is that it shows how the route taken by these boats is not a "straight line" or rhumb line route. As the video shows nicely, the boats avoid the anticyclone areas of the South Atlantic, causing their courses to be a large arc to take advantage of the winds.

It also shows how they skirt the edge of the ice zones at the high latitudes of the Southern Ocean, going very close to the edge in order to get around quickly.

Also notice the way they return North from Cape Horn, going close to the coast of Brazil.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:28   #15

Quote:
You mean the Latino football event?

b.
Latino football? Football, that the Americans and British call soccer, is by far the more Universal of all sports and modern football was first ruled by the British that I believe are not latinos. They are also huge fans. It is called the World game because everybody plays it. It is gaining a bigger and bigger acceptance on the US where the championships are better and better and I see lots of enthusiastic public on the stadiums.

No, it is difficult to think in anything as world popular as football but I mean all other major sport events like F1, Paris Dakar, World athleticism championships, Le Mans, Indianapolis meaning the ones you see covered or noticed on the main not specialized TV channels at world level.