Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 07:01   #106

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Re: Seven Seas Cruising Association -SSCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Seems like to me he advocates sensible policy that is in everybody's interest.

Unless they are looking for a long-term free anchorage. Cruisers cruise, which means there needs to be transient space available. The more, the better.
Agreed.
Big difference between cruisers and water squatters.
The latter tend to make things a bit difficult for the former.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 21:29   #107

Boat: Pearson 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
Agreed.
Big difference between cruisers and water squatters.
The latter tend to make things a bit difficult for the former.
What is a "water squatter"? Are they like the houseboats in the Puget sound that have been there for over 100 years,, they hardly ever move so are they water squatters? show me in black and white what the federal government lists as the legal definition of a water squatter. Also feel free to list any law fed, state, or local law in Oriental any of those boats are violating. In case your not sure the answers are there is none, and there are none.

Funny how regulations always sound reasonable in the beginning and turn into real attacks on our liberty as time goes on.

This harbor has had long term boats in it for decades, Till the french boat breezed into town no one cared, and the truth is the french are scammers/thieves who owe everyone in town money, that's the real reason the town cares. But you want to know the funny part is that the french boat is normally a cruiser boat if not for the starter on their motor breaking down, and the person saying the town all of a sudden needs more regulations in the harbor is what you call a real cruiser. So tell me how this is the latter making things harder on the former again?
GothVanhellsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 21:48   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, GothVanhellsing.

Russell Easby-Smith offered, what seemed to me, a moderate and balanced opinion, on a complex subject.
I wouldn’t characterize his article as “... starting trouble trying to get busybodies to take away our anchoring rights.”
Thank you, Like I said in the other post there is plenty of room here. not long ago in May their were 12 boats in the harbor, and atleast another 3 on the creeks. Today there was 4, most of the time there is 5 to 8, so there is plenty of free space. even with some of the boats (who want to be safe) using more then one anchor regardless of what the raisins at the bean say. But in truth if you look at the towns maps the reason the harbor is so small is the town handed a lot of it's riparian rights over to the Oriental Marina So if you want to talk about squatting,,,,
Old 13-07-2013, 02:57   #109

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
When we start talking water squatters I start rolling my eyes and asking myself why am I here.

It am an SSCA member why for no reason other than having a way if needed to reach out to others that actually do it.

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 05:09   #110

I read the article, and according to the author, there often isn't room in the anchorage for transient boats.

It's a small place, and because there are some boats anchored there on a permanent basis, boats are bypassing the town.

Given that the SSCA is a "cruising" association, I think the author is likely expressing a representative opinion. Most cruisers like to visit places on their vessel, and then continue their journey. The availability of transient slips is a key enabler of that lifestyle.

You're entitled to your opinion, but to say that you're against the SSCA because they represent the rights of cruisers, and to do that on a cruiser's forum, might actually convince more people to join the SSCA.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 05:14   #111

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

GothVanhellsing, You still haven't answered one important question. Are you the owner of one of the boats in question? The answer may well help us understand your position. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 05:59   #112

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothVanhellsing View Post
I would never join them, one of their active members Russsell Easby-Smith breezed through Oriental and stirred up a hornet's nest saying we should have a time limit in the public harbor Limit Stays In Anchorage, A Way To Welcome More Boats | TownDock.net, Oriental NC Just an FYI their are no derelict boats In the harbor and in this town of about 900 people there is room for about 10 more boats (there would be room for about 30 more if the town didn't let a marina take 2/3 of the harbor anchorage). From what I gather that Smith guy is a fairly Respected member who the SSCA who they have even given awards to. So I question the wisdom of anyone who would give money to a group that claims to be protecting our rights when their own valued members go around starting trouble trying to get busybodies to take away our anchoring rights.
Russell happens to be a friend of mine. I certainly do respect him. He received an SSCA Camaraderie award in 2006 in appreciation for his work on the SSCA Forum.

I understand and appreciate Russell's frustration with finding a place to anchor in Oriental. He isn't the only person to have an issue there. Like all our members, and everyone else, he has a right to express his opinion.

Given our commitment to supporting anchoring rights for cruisers and other boaters I think it is unlikely that SSCA will lend organizational support to any effort or even discussion that might result in restricting those rights.

sail fast and eat well, dave
SSCA
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 13:09   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Russell happens to be a friend of mine. I certainly do respect him. He received an SSCA Camaraderie award in 2006 in appreciation for his work on the SSCA Forum.

I understand and appreciate Russell's frustration with finding a place to anchor in Oriental. He isn't the only person to have an issue there. Like all our members, and everyone else, he has a right to express his opinion.

Given our commitment to supporting anchoring rights for cruisers and other boaters I think it is unlikely that SSCA will lend organizational support to any effort or even discussion that might result in restricting those rights.

sail fast and eat well, dave
SSCA
Well now i have met two from your organisation. I have to say I like your views much better. Like i said when the town let a private marina take a good chunk of the town's harbor It started the problem we have today. One thing as a local I see is our public access to the water seems to be getting smaller every day.
Old 13-07-2013, 13:16   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
GothVanhellsing, You still haven't answered one important question. Are you the owner of one of the boats in question? The answer may well help us understand your position. Chuck
LOL sorry I breezed over the question the first time. I own a boat in Oriental, but really I am just a resident. I know all the harbor boat owners they are good people.

I know in peak season the harbor can be a little crazy sometimes and wish some of the smaller masted boats would check out greens/smith creeks. It's beautiful over there and the small boat dock is not a long row form a lot of good spots to anchor That dock put's you right at the end of Midyette street. If you would like i can post a google maps pic with some great sports marked and the other dock.
Old 13-07-2013, 20:40   #115

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I have to step in and add my two cents.

My wife and I joined the SSCA last year in anticipation of embarking on our cruising lifestyle. Immediately, we gained access to the bulletins, which gave us perspective on the cruising world - much which is actually missing in most of the media like "Blue Water Cruising", Cruising World, and other pay magazines. While the info here on Crusiers Forum is very useful, SSCA has filled in some gaps that are missing. The board is a place to discuss issues but nothing more. I would remind you this board does not operate for free.

Also, we feel that paying a minimal fee to get live interactive access to the webinars, something that does not exist on any other forum or website dedicated to cruisers, is fair. We very much like being able to ask questions about insurance, weather, cruising destinations, et. al. while online. This form of interactive learning is especially compatible with how we like to learn.

I have no problem with paying a fee to be apart of an organization - we are also members of other types of organizations such as the NRA. These organizations do lobby on our behalf... some I agree with some I do not. However, this is far better than having no representation at all, even if they might be old and white . Frankly, this is how most organizations operate. You are all benefactors of these volunteer organizations activities whether you believe it or not. If it were up to our paid government folks, you would only have the rights they enumerate.

Having been the president of several non-sailing non-profit organizations, I don't think that many folks have a perspective on how difficult it is to actually get people to volunteer. Let alone show up when they do. Most people are happy complaining and flinging accusatory of those that pick up that shovel... but ME pick up an actual shovel and dig... NO WAY MAN!

If someone out there wants to make a few bucks helping new cruisers get a start, then so be it... at least its more than most people do.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 20:31   #116

Send a message via AIM to russeasby Send a message via Yahoo to russeasby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothVanhellsing View Post
Hey I will be the first to say my opinion is just mine. If you enjoy the group, and like being a part of groups like that, then I am happy for you. I am just more of a lone spirit who hates seeing our freedoms vanish, and the only SSCA person I have met stirred up a hornet's nest here.

But only two of those three were there in Nov, The southern cross, and the french (red) boat, the other was on greens creek then.
I am sorry GothVanhellsing that you took offense my article (I am the Russell Easby-Smith who seems to have bothered you so much).

Firstly, please note, I in no way mentioned the SSCA in my article. I would never claim to speak for the organization as a whole. I can only assume you deducted my membership via some googling and finding reference to the award they gave me years ago. So I fail to see why you come here rallying against the SSCA when your beef is obviously with me.

You claim to have met me, I wonder why you did not bring up your issue with me then? I have no idea who you are, but i am a reasonable and friendly person who is always happy to discus things even when opinions differ. But you seem to prefer internet anonymity instead.

I origonally wrote the article for Towndock.net as a response to a letter someone who did meet me, sent in, bringing up the issue. The editors at Towndock.net wrote back and asked if they could publish my letter in the form of a "guest column" instead. I agreed and since that original letter, many ranging opinions have written in in response. It resulted in interesting discussion on an issue many people obviously had been thinking a lot about for a long time. I didnt storm into town with a beef and an agenda to push, but when asked, I offered my thoughts, in a way I thought was respectful of the fact that I am not a town resident.

Why did you not write a letter to the editor at towndock.net (as everyone is welcome to) and contribute to the discussion there, rather then come here and try to blast the SSCA instead? I really encourage to write in your opinions, all of which are welcome and contribute to the meaningful debate happening within your community.

I will be passing through Oriental again this fall, if you are willing to reveal who you are, I would be happy to buy you a few drinks and sit down and chat about this issue, or anything else. You can contact me at russell@ladypauline.com if you so wish.

Regardless, please write in to towndock.net and add your opinion to the public debate, it will do a lot more for your cause there, then it will do here complaining about SSCA.
russeasby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 23:11   #117

Send a message via AIM to russeasby Send a message via Yahoo to russeasby

GothVanhellsing,

I am the Russell Easby-Smith that you seem to have an issue with.

Nowhere in my letter to the editor at towndock.net did I say I was a member of the SSCA or in any way suggest that I was representing the SSCA in giving my input on the issues of the anchorage in Oriental. I dont mind you taking issue with me, or my opinions, but why blast SSCA as a whole about this? The two things are not related. You had to have gone to google and dig several pages down to find my association with the SSCA.

I suggest you submit a response to towndock.net about your opinions regarding the anchorage. They have published now dozens of responses to my "guest column" on both sides of the fence and I am sure would gladly publish yours as well.

I wont defend my stance or my opinion reguardling the Oriental anchorage here, an approprite forum in your town already exists for that and one where you can influence any potential outcome. I fail to see what coming here does for your cause.

I love Oriental and look forward to stopping there a couple times a year. You say we have met, but i have no idea who you are. When I am in town in the fall I will happily buy you a few drinks and we can sit down and discuss the issues in the harbor, I am a friendly and open minded guy. But trying to make a beef with the SSCA really has nothing to do with it, its like hating the NRA because you dont like Ted Nugents music, how silly would that be?

Here are the letters to the editor submitted so far in response to my column on towndock.net :

Letters: Overstaying Welcome In Anchorage | Letters To The Editor | TownDock.net, Oriental NC
Letters: More On Oriental's Anchorage | Letters To The Editor | TownDock.net, Oriental NC

Note I didnt try to stir up issues. I was asked why I was leaving Oriental, and I told someone as I was leaving the dock. They wrote a letter to the editor and I saw it and was encouraged by locals to follow up, as it has been seen as an issue for several years (long before the french boat arrived). So I wrote a letter to the editor and they asked me if they could make it a guest column instead of a letter, and I allowed for that.

Feel free to contact me personally if you want to vent personal feelings about this, but the SSCA has nothing to do with it. My email is russell@ladypauline.com and I again happily extend a friendly invitation for a few drinks (or coffees or whatever) next time I am in town. Till then, I strongly suggest you write your own letter to towndock.net to voice your opinion, because none of the letters so far seem to raise the concerns you have and you certainly as a resident deserve to have your opinion heard where your fellow residents will hear it, rather then randomly here on the internet where few of your fellow residents will see it.
russeasby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 10:54   #118

There seems to be a bit of irony that people who preach 'do it yourself' and independence also have thousands of posts on this forum.

I'm not a member of SCCA but am of an equivalent UK organisation, however I won't be renewing as too much money and resource goes to the 'head office' and what they offer as a paid for service just doesn't hold up against the free to all stuff that's around now.
Timd_chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 13:20   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

[QUOTE=Timd_chapman;1287336]There seems to be a bit of irony that people who preach 'do it yourself' and independence also have thousands of posts on this forum.
.................................................. ....... [QUOTE]

I don't have a clear idea of what would be ironic with this relationship. All my "Do it Yourself" skills and ability to be independant come from knowledge. People who are able to be independent are not sealing themselves off from continuing education. Certainly a denotation of independence could imply without learning from others; however, none of us could be set apart as babes in the woods an become independent liveaboard/cruisers with modern technical systems. I believe most cruisers are referring to their idependence with the connotation of being free from hiring knowledgeable people and, instead, learning their skills from others by books, online sources or personal instruction.
Old 17-07-2013, 17:06   #120
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Good point Al!

Actually, maybe a fair bit, because Al helped me out last year when I needed to get insurance for my trip to the USA.
I am sure my circumnavigation without sinking helped him place me

Mark
As opposed to what , a circumnavigation with sinking....... Errr

Dave