Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 14:24   #16
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: Sailors survive 32 days at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Anyone notice how the pilot charts seem to be going badly wrong in the last few years? No westerlies for weeks? Very odd.
Not hard to figure if one realizes there has been 17 years and 9 months since there has been an increase in the average planet temperature.
__________________

__________________
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 14:33   #17
Registered User
 
Mark1977's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax, N.S Canada
Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Posts: 930
Re: Sailors survive 32 days at sea

Hmm, think I might go down to see him friday when I am back in town. See if he needs a hand with anything. Local knowledge of parts and such could be useful.
__________________

__________________
Just the guy that runs the boat.
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 15:08   #18
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,198
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Sailors survive 32 days at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
Hmm, think I might go down to see him friday when I am back in town. See if he needs a hand with anything. Local knowledge of parts and such could be useful.
Good man...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 18:21   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Australia
Boat: 21 ft sail boat
Posts: 347
Re: Sailors survive 32 days at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
With "somporn", there's *always* a happy ending.

Sorry, it was too easy.


Who needs somporn with all the mermaids out there-I've seen centrefolds of them.
__________________
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:04   #20
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,114
Re: Sailors survive 32 days at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
Hmm, think I might go down to see him friday when I am back in town. See if he needs a hand with anything. Local knowledge of parts and such could be useful.
Thats what I like to see
__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:25   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: Sailors survive 32 days at sea

Not to belittle their situation, but I often go more that 30 days without taking on fuel, water or groceries. Am I supposed to be impressed? They weren't sinking.
__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:42   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada
Boat: None yet
Posts: 74
Re: Sailors survive 32 days at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Not to belittle their situation, but I often go more that 30 days without taking on fuel, water or groceries. Am I supposed to be impressed? They weren't sinking.
No, but they were dismasted. Makes for a slightly different situation.
__________________
fozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:45   #23
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: Sailors survive 32 days at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozrunner View Post
No, but they were dismasted. Makes for a slightly different situation.
You're right, my bad. Although, sometimes it feels like I'm without sails here in the Med for lack of wind.
__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:51   #24
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Sailors survive 32 days at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You're right, my bad. Although, sometimes it feels like I'm without sails here in the Med for lack of wind.
You want to trade spots? I have a nice comfy office chair with A/C and lots of people to talk to. I'll watch your windless sails for a while to take the burden off of you.
__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:48   #25
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Sailors survive 32 days at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
he had somporn to pass the time with
Maybe that accounted for the 32 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman View Post
the boat only looks like its worth a case of beer and if he has to raise 75k to fix it he may as well buy mine
Maybe he feels that he has the better vessel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Just goes to show that GPS/chartplotter and charts are not required to sail! This navigation stuff ain't so hard!
Just required to land.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:43   #26
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Sailors survive 32 days at sea

Good on them for getting the boat to port!

We do err on the side of congratulating people who get rescued (this isnt pointed at anyone in particular) and then misogynistly slagging people who get themselves out of their own difficulties.

Not only did they get themselves home but refused to get on ships offering rescue.

They showed the highest levels of seamanship to go for 32 days instead of the expected 5 days. Sure they had some help with extra provisions from passing ships, they have shown how it can be done: With grit and determination and an ability to overcome paralysing fear.

To then insult this show of seamanship FAR above anything we have shown in out own travels by the disgusting references that are sexist and racist is absolutely pitiful.

Sure her name may spark a double entendre but havent any of you learned in the last few weeks with the examples in the USA of the Clippers owner, and in the UK of Jeremy Clarkson, Australia with Eddie McGuire and others.

How much deeper do you need to have your noses rubbed in the floor to understand racism and sexism is NOT to be tolerated.

To laugh at someone who has shown more bravery than you is disgusting, sickening and you should be ashamed of yourself and the other forum members.


Mark
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:59   #27
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,896
Re: Sailors survive 32 days at sea

I can't get the video to play, and no sound at work, but there is an interesting video of the yacht on Y-tube.

Colin Archer???

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...S48tT3j97PkjcQ

PS. here's a more recent link. Interesting history.

http://ckdboats.blogspot.com/2012/12...bay-yacht.html
__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:10   #28
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: Sailors survive 32 days at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Good on them for getting the boat to port!

We do err on the side of congratulating people who get rescued (this isnt pointed at anyone in particular) and then misogynistly slagging people who get themselves out of their own difficulties.

Not only did they get themselves home but refused to get on ships offering rescue.

They showed the highest levels of seamanship to go for 32 days instead of the expected 5 days. Sure they had some help with extra provisions from passing ships, they have shown how it can be done: With grit and determination and an ability to overcome paralysing fear.

To then insult this show of seamanship FAR above anything we have shown in out own travels by the disgusting references that are sexist and racist is absolutely pitiful.

Sure her name may spark a double entendre but havent any of you learned in the last few weeks with the examples in the USA of the Clippers owner, and in the UK of Jeremy Clarkson, Australia with Eddie McGuire and others.

How much deeper do you need to have your noses rubbed in the floor to understand racism and sexism is NOT to be tolerated.

To laugh at someone who has shown more bravery than you is disgusting, sickening and you should be ashamed of yourself and the other forum members.

Mark
Humor is a tricky subject to get judgmental about. It presents an easy path to be stood up as a full blown hypocrite. As you know there is public humor and private humor.

No one on this thread is even remotely laughing at the expense of a person or a situation. Rather a twist of the language is the novelty. Consequently, your righteousness is misdirected, the humor is impersonal.

Should these specific musings be posted publically where some may take offense, specifically the parties that are involved? I would say on short reflection that I agree with you Mark and they are not appropriate postings for this thread. IMHO, best to save the humor for when you know thy audience.

Perhaps the moderators could remove these off topic comments?
__________________
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:12   #29
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,198
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Sailors survive 32 days at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Good on them for getting the boat to port!

We do err on the side of congratulating people who get rescued (this isnt pointed at anyone in particular) and then misogynistly slagging people who get themselves out of their own difficulties.

Not only did they get themselves home but refused to get on ships offering rescue.

They showed the highest levels of seamanship to go for 32 days instead of the expected 5 days. Sure they had some help with extra provisions from passing ships, they have shown how it can be done: With grit and determination and an ability to overcome paralysing fear.

To then insult this show of seamanship FAR above anything we have shown in out own travels by the disgusting references that are sexist and racist is absolutely pitiful.

Sure her name may spark a double entendre but havent any of you learned in the last few weeks with the examples in the USA of the Clippers owner, and in the UK of Jeremy Clarkson, Australia with Eddie McGuire and others.

How much deeper do you need to have your noses rubbed in the floor to understand racism and sexism is NOT to be tolerated.

To laugh at someone who has shown more bravery than you is disgusting, sickening and you should be ashamed of yourself and the other forum members.


Mark
Well said..
Curious how she'll get on if she's not got a UK/EU passport.. will they let her stay..?
He's fine being a Brit..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:17   #30
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Sailors survive 32 days at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Humor is a tricky subject to get judgmental about. It presents an easy path to be stood up as a full blown hypocrite. As you know there is public humor and private humor.
There is NO humour in racism.
__________________

__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Three Men Survive a Week on Capsized Catamaran Aussiesuede Cruising News & Events 22 31-08-2009 08:21
Could a 40-50' Cat Survive This - capcook Seamanship & Boat Handling 6 16-07-2009 10:36
Can an elec guitar survive 2 years on a boat henryk Fishing, Recreation & Fun 8 13-09-2008 19:19
Sailors survive hours in Gulf; 1 found dead watersofdiego Cruising News & Events 2 09-06-2008 11:43



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.