Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2011, 02:01   #1

Boat: Hartley Southseas 39 - Rhombus
Sail Indonesia

Hi all, I was wondering if there was anyone on here that is doing the Sail Indonesia rally this year in July or has done it before.

We are sailing up to Darwin from Townsville at the end of May and then heading to Kupang in west Timor, were really looking forward to getting some awesome free diving and surfing in as well as meeting the great bunch of like minded cruisers following the same trail.

Roll on May.

john
Jdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 05:08   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Sail Indonesia

Hi John,

We did the 2009 Sail Indonesia.

Don't expect a rally as well organised as in Australia etc. Their acumen is at the same level as the fees involved...
Have a FULL knowledge of the Indonesian fees etc as you will have to argue in every port to pay the correct fee as all the excess is really just a bribe, or graft.
Do not trust any moring they set for the rally.
Under no circumstances expect the right of way from ships in Indonesia (or fishing boats etc). One passenger ferry in daylight diverted course 3 times to try and run us down - with 1,000's of passengers watching!
There are no chandlery’s in Indonesia whatsoever and anyone flying in parts will not get them or pay an exorbitant price. FedEX won't operate in Indonesia.
Ensure rubbish is properly disposed of as if given to many official receptacles in towns its just thrown in the water. Chuck biodegradable stuff and keep plastics etc till you know its disposed of properly (Bali is OK; Ambon is a disgrace).

Finally on a more positive note....
Indonesia is hard cruising however, if you can get by without smashing your head agaisnt a wall then you will see some wonderful sites that are nowhere else in the world. (However you will also cry at the deforestation... etc)

Clearing Customs in Tual. You clear in in each port. But its pretty exciting for the localCustoms officials to see whities

Making a monkey out of an Orangutan. And he don't look impressed!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 00:06   #3

Boat: Hartley Southseas 39 - Rhombus

Cheers Mark,
I have flown to Indo a few times before so I have a idea of what its like although good advice on to not put unlimited faith in the rally organisers as I was kind of relaxing a little there thinking it as "sorted" I will do some homework.

That is average about the rubbish situation, that would a nightmare thinking that they would just dump it in the ocean, do they think that I have just put up with those smelly black plastic bags for the fun of it!? If we wanted it in the ocean I would have put it there in the first place!!!
Jdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 08:00   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdiamond View Post
That is average about the rubbish situation, that would a nightmare thinking that they would just dump it in the ocean, do they think that I have just put up with those smelly black plastic bags for the fun of it!? If we wanted it in the ocean I would have put it there in the first place!!!
In some place they line the warfe with brand new Wheely Bins painter in huge yellow writing: "Dispost of trash here - Help the environment" (etc)

It was writting in English. Not Indonesian LOL

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 22:23   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 45.2

Hi John

We did the Darwin to Ambon last year and in 2008 and had a ball both times. Last year we spent a couple of weeks in Ambon and sailed on to Banda. Dived at the foot of Gunung Api on the lava flow which was a spectacular coral reef. Heaps of other spots to snorkel or dive around nearby islands too. The water was crystal clear and free from rubbish. The locals are doing a great job to properly dispose of their rubbish on Banda. We then sailed onto Saumlaki for another 2 weeks.

The race committee organised our CAIT and Customs Bond Exemption Certificate for us. All gov officials met us on arrival and we were cleared to go ashore within 30 min of dropping the pick. The committee organised interpreters to help, and it was really easy.

Cheers Greg
Hartleycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 18:38   #6

Does anyone need experienced sailor for 2011 Darwin to Ambon?
maxdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 17:21   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 45.2
Re: Sail Indonesia Darwin Ambon

I hear there are quite a few boats from darwin going ,Not sure if they are fully crewed.
Hartleycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:42   #8

Boat: Morgan 43

Hi,

we participated last year and had a great trip and met many friendly people.
Yes, it is a third world country and if you have to take that into account.

More information about sail indonesia is on:
Sail Indonesia with also links to other blogs.

We bought our yacht in Darwin to sail Indonesia and it is now for sail in Darwin (ready to go again!) :
Robert & Anneke on a boat: Thula Mama for sale

Have a great time,
Anneke
robertandanneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 05:29   #9

Hi there,

We've been investigating trying to get on a yacht returning to Darwin from Ambon after the 2011 race...anyone know anyone looking for crew coming back that way?

Meanwhile, John, if you've made it to Darwin and want to meet up with some 'locals' who are keen to get out on the water let us know. I'm sure my mates would be happy to exchange a day of fishing for a sail with you guys!

Cheers,

Kat
kathocking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Indonesia, sail