Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2010, 05:00   #31

Boat: Samson C Ranger - "Tin Cup" & Samson C-Farer - "Sam McGee"
- SailLady,

Not sure what happened to your post that I replied to.

KeySpc - whaling voyages did indeed extend for longer periods. However they did resupply during those voyages in distant harbors.

The Schooner Anne has not been in port to resupply for over three years.

MarkJ - Yes, and believe me we did ask time and again, do you have what you need for the 1000 nights.
Old 30-05-2010, 06:16   #32
jkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallyachts View Post

In my 50+ years I have learned that the only difference between most people that have a tinged reputation or not, simply comes down to whether they are willing to let people see into their closet.

Many that tout themselves as good people have many more skeletons in the closet than those that allow others to see them as they are. Usually they feel this way, because what they may have done they feel justified in having done.

If you go back in history you will find that most of the great people that are written about, adventurers, statesmen, generals etc... are not as pure as you had been taught.

It is an interesting observation that I have come too after these many months of supporting Reid.

Most that support him are winners in their "physical life", business and social life.

Most that are against him are losers, unhappy with the way they have allowed thier life to turn out, and blame others for their inability to succeed.
This is the type of nastiness that has made this 'adventure' so polarizing. While I agree that there are few saints in this world, the backers of this journey would have better spent their time editing his narcissistic ramblings than his wiki page to remove any reference to his "tinged reputation".
I think as this circus draws to a close and the realization that his commercial possibilities are fading, Reid and his supporters have only gotten nastier.
Sorry, you won't find me hitting the 'Pay Pal' button or buying a book that use to be given away at airports by the Harri Krishna's.
Put me in with the pitchfork and torch carriers.

John
Old 30-05-2010, 06:30   #33
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkd View Post
the backers of this journey would have better spent their time editing his narcissistic ramblings than his wiki page to remove any reference to his "tinged reputation".

John
Why in the world would you waste your time reading it if thats what you thought?

Of all the folks doing stuff he seems to me to be the least harmful!

In what possible way could his life be inflicting itself on you, or others? He's floating at sea thousands of miles away from everyone.

If you don't like him or his thing just don't read about him

The things I don't like in life I just ignore. These sure a lot of threads on here I have on ignore

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 30-05-2010, 06:45   #34
jkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Of all the folks doing stuff he seems to me to be the least harmful!
Mark
Have to agree with that.

Just thought SmallYachts was doing well in his earlier posts but had to step over the line for some reason and required a response. That's all.

John
Old 30-05-2010, 06:51   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
Just thought SmallYachts was doing well in his earlier posts but had to step over the line for some reason and required a response.
I agree with jkd on this. No need to start categorizing people as winners or losers just because they do or do not support something. And something of little or no importance to anyone other than the person doing the something.
Old 30-05-2010, 07:19   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Lets all remember to be nice and not let this get personal.
Old 30-05-2010, 14:41   #37

Quote:
Why in the world would you waste your time reading it if thats what you thought?
It would be ridiculous if someone wanted to eat 1000 waffles in a row, but I'd still like to watch their progress while they made the attempt.
Old 31-05-2010, 04:13   #38

Boat: Samson C Ranger - "Tin Cup" & Samson C-Farer - "Sam McGee"
Exit comment

For those that I apparently touched a nerve on with my previous post.

The post I was replying too had been removed. The contents are below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillady View Post
Why would you ever want your company to be affiliated with Stowe?

I've followed his drift since he embarked out of a sense of morbid curiosity and amusement rather than respect.

Dollars might be much better spent and any image you have in the sailing community
will be tainted.
- Will a moderator please contact me to facilitate the immediate cancelation of SmallYachts membership on this forum.
Old 31-05-2010, 04:48   #39
jkd

Quote:
For those that I apparently touched a nerve on with my previous post.

The post I was replying too had been removed. The contents are below.
Well I thought you covered it pretty well in only the first paragraph where you said you are the manufacturer of the material the boat was made of and the durability was tested by "knockdowns and collisions etc."

Heck, it's Madison Ave all the way. I've nothing but respect for advertisers that can sell stuff in innovative ways. (even if its stuff you may not want or need). It's the American way!

Just don't go postal (or rather SA) on us.

I didn't think the post you were replying to was that bad to require your response. It sounded like a question of value to using Reid's name in advertising. You obviously feel there is value, she (he) not so much. The market will tell!

John
Old 31-05-2010, 10:49   #40
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
I can't believe I just read through the whole SA thread on Reid. It was hilarious, in a four-letter-word, over-the-top kinda way. What trash talk!

But there were a couple of things about his endeavor that raised an eyebrow. He evidently has been doing media coverage of imminent departures since 1993! All this time he has been collecting donations, large and small. What did he do with the $$? Because he set sail without a radar or AIS (and immediately hit a ship). In his blog he said having one is a good idea, but there just weren't enough funds. Huh?

I agree the guy is fairly harmless, except as a bit of a shipping hazard. But I think the interest is the same we give someone who sits atop a flagpole for a really long time. Great stunt. But does it really have anything to do with seamanship for the rest of us to learn? I don't know.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 31-05-2010, 11:59   #41
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:

I have searched the links and FAQS on how to cancel my membership, but cannot find the link.

Will a moderator please contact me to facilitate the immediate cancelation of SmallYachts membership on this forum.
Sorry, no can do. The 28 posts that you have made are part of the fabric of this forum. Removing your registration would remove the posts and leave the affected threads disjointed.

The good news is if you feel that you don't want to be here it's easy enough to just go elsewhere. And also good, from one perspective, if you decided in the future you wish to be active again, you can.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 31-05-2010, 12:10   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Interesting Sara- i had no idea that our ideas were so immortal. My grandsons may at sometime read these threads....
I hope he will know that we were just ordinary folk trying hard to to do the right thing.
As for our man sailing in circles, I see people everyday involved in worse pursuits.
Old 31-05-2010, 12:46   #43
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A post, above, was temporarily removed from this thread, creating some confusion in subsequent posts. It has now been restored exactly as posted, and in the same position.

I have removed a couple of posts that have to do with some Forum business that is off-topic to this thread. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation as we cleaned this thread up and restored it to public access.

Please do not resort to personal attacks in questioning another member's motives for either supporting or condemning Reid Stowe's actions or reasons for doing what he's doing. Any comments on moderating are to be made in Private Messages, not in public forums.

TaoJones

[Edit: Every post in this thread, and every word of every post, has been restored and all are in their original position.]
Old 31-05-2010, 14:43   #44
jkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
He evidently has been doing media coverage of imminent departures since 1993! All this time he has been collecting donations, large and small.
Margo
Yep, I think he lost his window of opportunity to score the big bucks by not starting and ending earlier. A few years ago the money would have been flowing from enthralled wives of investment bankers listening to Reid talking about his 'art' and 'adventures' while he stood in his nicely tailored sailor suit, but the times have changed and those women have had to let the nannies go and cut back to one day a week at the spa.
Hey, I could be wrong though. I just read about the under age and formerly pregnant daughter of a former Vice Presidential candidate getting 10k a shot to talk about teenage pregnancy.

John
Old 31-05-2010, 21:48   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
On June 17, Reid Stowe will make oceanic history when he docks Anne at Pier 81 in the New York Harbor. At that moment, he will have finished the longest sea voyage in history, spanning 1152 days. The trip started on April 21, 2007 and will finally end next month, after more than three years at sea without being re-supplied.

----
He still has quite a way to got to take Hendrik van der Decken's record.
Closed Thread