Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2010, 22:57   #46

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
I can't believe I just read through the whole SA thread on Reid. It was hilarious, in a four-letter-word, over-the-top kinda way. What trash talk!

Margo
To quote John McEnroe ... " you cannot be serious"! There are over 28,000 posts to that thread. If you indeed read all of them you deserve something ... just not sure what.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:41   #47
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Not all

OK, OK, la caught me! I skipped around a lot. But I did spend almost 3 hours - sheesh! I've gotta get out more!

Margo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
To quote John McEnroe ... " you cannot be serious"! There are over 28,000 posts to that thread. If you indeed read all of them you deserve something ... just not sure what.

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 01-06-2010, 10:37   #48
jkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
OK, OK, la caught me! I skipped around a lot. But I did spend almost 3 hours - sheesh! I've gotta get out more!

Margo
Heck, there are probably 40 hours of video alone buried in those 1400+ pages of strangeness. It truly runs the gambit from boring to some of the funniest stuff ever written this side of Monty Python and seldom civil.

Gotta say those portrayed as "haters" have it over the "followers" on the humor front with some photo-shop artists extraordinaire!

If that thread was edited and put in a book, that would be worth buying!

John
Old 01-06-2010, 10:49   #49
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Theres not enough time in this cruising life to hate.

Maybe the haters should cast off

Funnily enough there a couple of folks who were around here on CF a while ago that were a bit acidic.

Then they bought their own boats.

Then they suddenly became nice!

Weird, that.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 01-06-2010, 13:29   #50
jkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Theres not enough time in this cruising life to hate.
Maybe the haters should cast off
Funnily enough there a couple of folks who were around here on CF a while ago that were a bit acidic.
Weird, that.
Subtle but still a good shot, congratulations!

I would question who is the 'hater' in a given situation.
The person with a different perspective than some or the person unwilling to accept the perspective that applies the label?

To apply the label to the satirist or the comic is show one's inflexibility in thought, inability to retort or simple humorlessness.

Would we label John Cleese a 'hater' of the church because of his films?

John
Old 01-06-2010, 13:44   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:

And of course there have been more than a few very acerbic boat owners who have left this site in a huff ...

Weird, that.
Old 02-06-2010, 13:41   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallyachts View Post
It is an interesting observation that I have come too after these many months of supporting Reid.

Most that support him are winners in their "physical life", business and social life.

Most that are against him are losers, unhappy with the way they have allowed thier life to turn out, and blame others for their inability to succeed.
I guess I'd like to know how well you know any of his detractors to make such unfounded statements. I don't support the guy, I find his trip comical and his staunchest supporters quite amusing in their venomous attacks of anyone who dare question the importance to humanity of this extended vacation funded by donors.

Most eccentric cruisers I've met over the years are quite interesting, but don't go out of their ways to garner attention and, more importantly, pay their own ways.

Based on your product, I think it makes perfect sense for you to sponsor him.
Old 02-06-2010, 17:06   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regatta Dog View Post
I guess I'd like to know how well you know any of his detractors to make such unfounded statements. I don't support the guy, I find his trip comical and his staunchest supporters quite amusing in their venomous attacks of anyone who dare question the importance to humanity of this extended vacation funded by donors.

Most eccentric cruisers I've met over the years are quite interesting, but don't go out of their ways to garner attention and, more importantly, pay their own ways.

Based on your product, I think it makes perfect sense for you to sponsor him.
Interesting first post.
Old 02-06-2010, 19:32   #54
jkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Interesting first post.
"It's like deja vu all over again" (Yogi Berra)

I remember this was kinda the response to my first post here as well!

As far as 'Regatta Dog' he is either "Doctor Evil" or "Austin Powers" depending on ones' point of view with regard to Reid Stowe and his journey . I suggest you form your own opinions.

I do know that for comedic value, he and some others have had some outstanding moments over at SA and on the '1000 days of hell' web site (enter at your own risk).

- For RD; the gentleman you are addressing has left the building after a petulant fit ( probably on my account) and the Mods have removed his last post. (if he is lurking, who knows?)

John
Old 03-06-2010, 14:32   #55

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I looked at the thread over at SA, and it seems a pretty clear case of cyber-bullying.

Personally, I don't accept the idea that a bully is redeemed because some people find the bullying humorous.
Old 03-06-2010, 15:48   #56

Agree with another T34c on the bullying. When I think about Stowe and all the controversy, I'm reminded of a quote by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.:

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just
because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.
Old 03-06-2010, 16:28   #57

Boat: contessa 32
not so sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
On June 17, Reid Stowe will make oceanic history when he docks Anne at Pier 81 in the New York Harbor. At that moment, he will have finished the longest sea voyage in history, spanning 1152 days. The trip started on April 21, 2007 and will finally end next month, after more than three years at sea without being re-supplied.

Soanya only made it through 306 days on the trip before being forced to disembark due to morning sickness. But even in that time, she set the record for longest nonstop sea voyage for a woman.

MORE ➥ 1000days.net - Home
Gord:I've always considered you the oracle so I hesitate to write this ,but back when Britian really ruled the waves, many seaman returning from multiple year voyages in comercial ships were stopped at sea by Men of War and impressed into the navy for a few more years untill the latest conflict was resolved. This was an issue in the American revolution and Melville deals with this in Billy Budd. Hope this gives you incentive to do one of your famous searches .I mostly slept in school.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:39   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
Gord:I've always considered you the oracle so I hesitate to write this ,but back when Britian really ruled the waves, many seaman returning from multiple year voyages in comercial ships were stopped at sea by Men of War and impressed into the navy for a few more years untill the latest conflict was resolved. This was an issue in the American revolution and Melville deals with this in Billy Budd. Hope this gives you incentive to do one of your famous searches .I mostly slept in school.

During a conference with one of my son's high school teachers my husband and I were asked if we realized that our son was phototropic. The teacher went on to explain that every time he dozed off in class he leaned towards the light coming through the classroom window.

Your notion that there may have been many longer stays at sea is interesting and probably valid but undocumented. Would be an interesting topic of study for someone so inclined.

On a related but truly unacademic note, after reading some of these posts here I ventured over to the Sailing Anarchy site. Some pretty funny stuff. Seems more of the contributors are amused by Stowe rather than hateful. Hate and the now popular notion of bullying seem a bit strong to describe the folk over there
Old 04-06-2010, 07:18   #59
jkd

Re: Cyber Bullying;

I think that you miss several points with accusations of cyber bullying against Reid.
He is no child and he has made himself a "public figure" by his actions with this trip and its commercial nature. By making himself a public figure he has forfeit a certain amount of privacy, this would include opening himself to a level of criticism.
No politician or actor can rightfully claim to by a victim of 'bullying' from articles, political cartoons, or late night TV hosts that would make fun of them.
That some of the stuff written about Reid may cross some imaginary line of taste and civility, I will not argue. (this would also apply equally to things written by Reid supporters)

But some of you folks need to go see your Doctor and be checked for osteoporosis of the funny bone!

John
Old 04-06-2010, 10:50   #60
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by saillady View Post
Some pretty funny stuff. Seems more of the contributors are amused by Stowe rather than hateful. Hate and the now popular notion of bullying seem a bit strong to describe the folk over there

Didn't you find at school being laughed at was pretty demeaning?

If someone was being laughed at constantly wouldn't that person perhaps thing they were being bullied?

Not only was I bullied at school occasionally (not badly and not half as badly as many other kids) but I have also had it in adult life. For some reason I am a bit of an F*wit magnet. If I am having a happy time in a bar some F*wit will come up and pick a fight with me. I can even define a whole group of men that often take a dislike to me... the footballer-blokey-type male. Stuffed if I know why.

Anyway, why should people pick on Reid, insult him or laugh at him? Do they do that to other men and women? Did they pull wings off butterflies when they were kids?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Closed Thread