Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 14:02   #376

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Nilaya / Berserk Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
years ago, the term "eskimo" was not derogatory. in another forty years, the term "inuit" will probably be considered derogatory as well. their forced movements to do the work of the canadian government, the u.s. military, and various private merchants certainly qualifies as slavery. the complete destruction of their cultures by the government and their absolute denial of their land rights creates conditions equal to if not worse than slavery. even more off the wall, the seizures of their children was/is absolutely inhumane from any civilized perspective nowadays. Farley Mowat has done a lot of research in this issue over the past 50 years.
Your original post said that "still to this day" the Inuit are enslaved by Canadians. All your point above, though deplorable and embarassing to all Canadians, quote events of close to 50 years ago.

The Inuit are highly respected by Canadians and free to go anywhere or do anything that any other Canadian citizen can. They are supported by government money if they choose to stay where they grew up, in their northern villages. Conditions are harsh there, and there are numerous social problems due, in part, to the injustices of the past.

I had a young Inuit woman as a guest on my boat about a year ago. She was proud to tell us that she had killed her first seal at something like the age of 12 and though she was enjoying exploring a new life in Vancouver, she missed her home and her family. She was strongly considering returning. She was proud of her home and her tradition and we were proud to have her as our guest. In what way was she our slave, exactly?
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2012, 14:06   #377
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoofsweden View Post
The boat is right here in Puerto Williams. I helped out with a battery charging today and I think the boat are very nice. I wouldn't a swap
Who is on board - anyone, or is it just parked there?
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 24-02-2014, 18:42   #378

I just came across some interesting footage shot on the HMNZS Wellington as it steamed towards the last known position of the Berserk.

The footage from the mast, later in the video, is particularly interesting. I seem to recall the ship was not damaged on this occasion, although some lifesaving equipment was washed away and antennae were damaged

Interestingly, just yesterday, the same ship was forced to abort an important trip through the sub-antarctic, north of where this video was shot, and return to Stewart Island (the southernmost of NZ's three largest islands) for repairs, and because it was considered imprudent to continue. Presumably the conditions were worse than in the Ross Sea instance, which stands to reason given the limited fetch in the S sector storm with the ice shelf not far to the south.

Seas to 16m, wind gusts to 90 knots in yesterday's instance.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-02-2014, 06:28   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
??? Enslave Eskimos?

Btw Eskimo is a derogatory term and they call themselves Inuit. They are not enslaved, though they've received rough treatment on the past, leading to some social problems today.
Gee, we sailed up around baffin bay last summer and probably should have told the natives they were not eskimos since most of them( the nomadic groups we met) called themselves "eskimos". At least their native interpreters did . "Inuit" did not do it. Most of the coastal seafarers still living fairly primitive lives in the northern bay preferred their "family" names or "eskimo" since eskimo meant they were part of a very large, almost global family ranging from Siberia to Norway. Think the term inuit is a made up Canadian government term used to give the government more psyco control over the eskimo "issue". The Canadian government really does not like them and probably would exterminate them if it could do so without being found out. At least that seemed to be the attitude of the eskimos we encountered. And yes, there are still some skin kayaks used for fishing.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-02-2014, 06:34   #380
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
The Inuit are highly respected by Canadians and free to go anywhere or do anything that any other Canadian citizen can. They are supported by government money if they choose to stay where they grew up, in their northern villages. Conditions are harsh there, and there are numerous social problems due, in part, to the injustices of the past.
of course,high respected, so much so, that any years afterwards, the Canadian issued a grudging apology for the forced resettlement of many of the Inuit.

Eskimo, well at least lets spell it right ,Esquimaux, it is after all a french word.

dave
Old 25-02-2014, 08:54   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
of course,high respected, so much so, that any years afterwards, the Canadian issued a grudging apology for the forced resettlement of many of the Inuit.

Eskimo, well at least lets spell it right ,Esquimaux, it is after all a french word.

dave
French word for the French. English for the American. Anyhow your right on about the White Canadians killing, enslaving, and "resettling" not only the Eskimos but the Newfies and Labradorians. Brutal government. Partly why Quebec left the union. Canada still enslaving northern tribes. Lots of literature about this. Someone referenced Mowat. Right on the mark.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-02-2014, 11:46   #382

just read the thread, very interesting .
Jimmy Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2014, 01:06   #383

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft

Sent from my ME173X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2014, 01:57   #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
I just came across some interesting footage shot on the HMNZS Wellington as it steamed towards the last known position of the Berserk.<LONG SNIP>
Seas to 16m, wind gusts to 90 knots in yesterday's instance.
Since heard from the Captain - media exaggeration (sigh)
More like 14m / 70 knot gusts

He wasn't misquoted, though, in initial reports when he was said to describe conditions as being the worst he'd encountered at sea (numbers don't really tell much of the story, so I can well believe it)
Old 01-03-2014, 04:33   #385
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
.... Most of the coastal seafarers still living fairly primitive lives in the northern bay preferred their "family" names or "eskimo" since eskimo meant they were part of a very large, almost global family ranging from Siberia to Norway ...
Eskimo refers to the indigenous peoples who inhabit the northern circumpolar region from eastern Siberia (Russia), across Alaska (United States), Canada, and Greenland.; and includes sub-groups such as the Inuit, Yupik, Inupiat, Kalaalisut, and others.
So, all Inuit are Eskimo; but not all Eskimo are Inuit.

I think Steve Sailer got it about right.
The Name Game: Inuit or Eskimo? by Steve Sailer for UPI; Yup'ik, Micmac, Algonquin, Mumbai, Gypsies, Roma Lapp, Saami, Haudenosaunee, Cherokee, Khoi San Bushmen Hottentot, German

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2014, 05:30   #386

Re: Nilaya/Berserk missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
To me he's just another publicity seeking adrenaline junkie and one who feels he's above the law. Not my idea of an exceptional person.
Quite perfectly you've described the politician.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2014, 05:53   #387

This talk of possible pollution makes me think of another 'what if'. What if he went in a wood boat with wood spars with wood mast hoops with manila rope and natural fiber sails and no engine and no propane bottles and nothing for chow but lutefisk and water. Basically, minimal environmental impact in the aftermath of a 'what if' event.

Would he still be able to go? I think not. I think without having properly crossed the T and dotted the I of the proper forms he still would not be 'allowed'. The powers that be just do not like someone thumbing their noses at them.

Let's turn it around. Let's say that somehow his space age super tech high density cardboard boat were shipped to, say McMurdo from where he would start his voyage. All the proper paperwork had been completed and accepted but only to get the boat TO Antarctica but only that. Would he be allowed to begin his voyage AWAY from there? I think not unless the proper forms will filled out properly since the initial portion of the voyage would be in Antarctic waters of which he did not have permission to transit.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:00   #388

Wotname, your tagline seems especially apropos in this thread.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-03-2014, 06:15   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
If you watch his video he states clearly that school was not for him....
The way you say that sounds dismissive. I happen to know several persons who did not do well in school but have enjoyed great success in their lives. One such young man dropped out of school in the 10th grade but went on to buy his own home on several acres and had bought an airplane by the age of 24. Self taught, he also manages 3 data centers.

Another young man didn't finish high school because he was head hunted by a major IT firm in Silicon Valley. Since age 18 he writes security software for Fortune 500 companies. At age 21 he bought his first home. Now 28 he owns 3 homes and has spun off several IT companies of his own.

A young woman never even went to high school. She ran away from home and lived poorly for a few years before she got it together. Now at age 34 she recently completed her 2nd Masters program and carries no student debt because she was industrious enough to work 3 jobs while putting herself through university.

That one does not conform to another's perception of how to gain an education is hardly to be counted against the former.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:54   #390

Richard5:

The materials of the boat were not a consideration for his national authority.

You appear to be conflating sideline commentary, issued in hindsight by anonymous bystanders, with the inability of the Norwegian authorities to get any sort of meaningful cooperation from Andhoy so they could authorise his visit.

My own considered view is that their requirements were reasonable, proportional and - I would venture - desirable.

There is a great imbalance on the internet in favour of Andhøy, entirely assignable to his (seemingly now lapsed) status as a scion of reality TV.

This can lend his shrill protestations of persecution by malevolent authorities a slim veneer of spurious plausibility.