Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 18:37   #316

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
Re: Nilaya / Berserk Missing

If you want to get a sense of what the real deal looks like in this regards I suggest you read H.W. (Bill) Tilman's books
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 18:53   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsadler View Post
If you want to get a sense of what the real deal looks like in this regards I suggest you read H.W. (Bill) Tilman's books
precisely the iconoclastic person personified. truly an adventurer extraodinary. and appropriately wrote about his exploits(all confirmed by various government agencies since he was also a master spy during and after the war years(ww2). now about trying to sail an old tugboat hull....
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 21:58   #318

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Major Tilman was the real deal. Too bad he was lost with the En Avant in 1977, although he was on board as crew rather than as skipper.
Old 07-04-2012, 22:08   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Well, you can stop wondering. The ability to carry through on undertakings made, to delay gratification, or to control emotional impulses: these appear not to be strong points.

"Jarle rages against New Zealand: - We have new evidence", the headline reads.
Jarle Andhøy claims he has new evidence of a lie from the New Zealand authorities.

With apologies to Tui:
"Yeah, right" (OK, I added that bit)

Dagbladet.no - jarle andhy

Jarle has a number of things on his side, and one of them is ultra-short concentration spans on the part of his followers.

[I recall exploiting the same (perceived) limitation on the part of my aging father, as a child.
"Did I tell you about the A in Chemistry?" I would cheerfully ask on arriving home.
Message rinsed and repeated every few days, stopping only once I got an affirmative answer.
When I got a (rather more regular) C-, he only got the one shot ... if that.]

This is not a fresh accusation from Jarle: it has resurfaced ad nauseam on this thread.

When he has had something positive to say, as when he declared his undying gratitude to NZ for the exhaustive search -- to which he claimed he did not feel they were entitled -- he typically says it once, if at all.

{And within a week, his insincerity was revealed when he sank his fangs into them for not resuming the search, using expensive satellite imagery}

The 'new evidence' does not throw any fresh light on the misunderstanding about what happened with Jarle's various abandoned items, or drag it across the considerable broken ground which separates a misunderstanding from a flagrant lie.

-- a misunderstanding greatly assisted, if not caused, by Jarle's ab initio posture of hostility and blaming, his irrational behaviour on returning to the base (evidently mistaking it for a hotel, he demanded to stay the winter there) and his repeated refusals to respond when asked to discuss what should be done with the stuff.

To me it looks as though the worst 'crime' the guys at Scott Base could conceivably be guilty of is that of not rising to Jarle's expectations of an infinite duty of care in his direction.
There may well have been a further misunderstanding between Scott Base and McMurdo Base: they're on friendly terms, but do not live in each others' pockets.

Jarle's self absorption rivals that of a kid who drops his bmx bike across the footpath before disappearing into a video parlour, and then throws a hissy fit at an adult for their manifest disrespect in daring to move it.

Worse than that: you have to wonder if he's crossing over from arrested development into a full-blown persecution complex.

I take it you don't like this guy, actually I think your first post said enough

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2012, 04:37   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Major Tilman was the real deal. Too bad he was lost with the En Avant in 1977, although he was on board as crew rather than as skipper.
was always curious whether they modified the tug's hull, or just stuck a telephone pole on it and sailed away into history. the old epitath: "he died doing what he loved". of course so did nelson rockefeller.
Old 09-04-2012, 21:53   #321

Norwegian media are reporting that the boat's registration documents are now in order, and it will be under way to Ushuaia once some safety stuff is in order.
Old 14-04-2012, 11:35   #322
ice

Norwegian polar institute appears to have completed their report and sent it to the Troms police for their action. Troms police say that normally it would be a fine (like last year) but they are concerned with and have to consider the repeated infraction. Jarle's lawyer says they want to take it in court.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 16-04-2012, 16:10   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJ View Post
I take it you don't like this guy, actually I think your first post said enough
I tend to agree, seems everyone has left this thread, and it's now kept alive by three brand new members to this forum, that simply goes on and on and on about how horrible it all is, and what a terrible guy this Andhøy fellow must be, they are almost competing in negativity it seems.

I belive mr. Tout summed it up fairly good in one of his previous posts that he wrote what seems like a whole book ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
At this point I've said everything I know which bears on this issue at least once, have pounded the pulpit more than I'm strictly comfortable doing, ended up less sanguine than I began, the site is misbehaving on both my browsers, and I will accordingly bow out of the discussion while I still have some hair left!
Guess he's not that comfortable anymore, sitting bald in front of his computer chattering away on the keyboard while the real guys are out sailing the world.
adeneo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 16-04-2012, 19:58   #324

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I am not saying any thing, But I am following this blokes travels around the Antartic,

Right, wrong or other wise, He is actually doing it,

He is doing some thing thats past the majority of peoples capability or comprehension,

Good for him, I just wish there was more indepth info on his travels, from some one onboard,

Cheers,
Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 17-04-2012, 05:43   #325

Boat: a sailing boat

But we are running out of hot tar and feathers! Someone please bring on more tar!

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 17-04-2012, 05:55   #326

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeneo View Post
I tend to agree, seems everyone has left this thread, and it's now kept alive by three brand new members to this forum, that simply goes on and on and on about how horrible it all is, and what a terrible guy this Andhøy fellow must be, they are almost competing in negativity it seems.
Maybe its time for those three to start a Yahoo Group for further discussion and follow up.
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 17-04-2012, 07:29   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I am not saying any thing, But I am following this blokes travels around the Antartic,

Right, wrong or other wise, He is actually doing it,

He is doing some thing thats past the majority of peoples capability or comprehension,

Good for him, I just wish there was more indepth info on his travels, from some one onboard,

Cheers,
Brian,
not so fast. years ago, 1970s, sailing to and around australia was easy. hardly any bureaucracy to deal with. ten years ago encountered a nightmare of regulations. as explained to me, really bad experiences with international "yachties" including damage to reefs, polluting drinking waters, and general disregard for their country lead to this situation.
scuzbutts who have no respect for their host country, act like trash, and generally really piss off people make it difficult for those who come afterwards. admiring someone because they "just do it" is, imho, stupid. countless south pacific ports are filled with bums who have wound up derelict due to their ill advised actions and behaviours. and their actions can be lethal to others.
Old 17-04-2012, 09:10   #328
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v

not so fast. years ago, 1970s, sailing to and around australia was easy. hardly any bureaucracy to deal with. ten years ago encountered a nightmare of regulations. as explained to me, really bad experiences with international "yachties" including damage to reefs, polluting drinking waters, and general disregard for their country lead to this situation.
scuzbutts who have no respect for their host country, act like trash, and generally really piss off people make it difficult for those who come afterwards. admiring someone because they "just do it" is, imho, stupid. countless south pacific ports are filled with bums who have wound up derelict due to their ill advised actions and behaviours. and their actions can be lethal to others.
Exactly! I also agree with the negative posts on this thread and eagerly wait for the latest news. He is a classicly inconsiderate yachty who leaves a dirty wake for all the rest of us to sail through. I couldnt give two shits about his supposed "adventure", the real adventurers opened up new possibilities to those who followed. This idiot is doing the exact opposite, his irresponsibilty is closing doors to those who would follow

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 17-04-2012, 17:56   #329
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

If you look at the large number of views this thread has received you realize there are a large number of people interested in it and in the information being provided.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-04-2012, 08:03   #330

Busby Noble now claims that he's a political refugee from New Zealand. It's not clear which country he's applying for asylum in - sounds a bit like he'll be roaming the seas like some kind of L. Ron Hubbard or Davey Jones.

Last I heard they're leaving the boat in Argentina and flying home.

Vestfold Blad (the newspaper owned by Brunstad Christian Church members) has come out with another editorial in Andhøy's support.