Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2016, 01:56   #46

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: Monohull in ARC sinks, everyone safe!

I wonder if they had a high bilge level alarm and a very high capacity pump. If they had then they would have been alerted to the problem early and in time by the alarm to activate the pump, hopefully with enough capacity to hold the water level low enough to a point where it would have been possible to find the flow of water, fix it and carry on.

Once the water level has gone above a large part of the boat sole I can't see how it would be possible to find any leak other than a gaping hole.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 04:47   #47

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, it was meant as humor...thus the multiple smiley faces, but I probably should have refrained none the less.
You can't please all the people all the time...

If it had been my boat sinking I would not have taken it personally more as a poke at the assenine mono v multi debate. Please don't give up the sense of humor... life is too short...
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 05:27   #48

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Sinks drains don't need to drain below the static waterline. My current boat is a cat and the sinks drain well above the waterline so I just have hose and a through hull as it came from the builder, no seacocks. I have a composting toilet so no overboard discharge or intake. outboard so no intake through the hull. The single intake which I have mentioned before is a fresh water intake ( I'm in Lake Superior) which allows me to switch over from the water tanks for endless hot showers and dish washing etc once we are away from the harbor and into clean water. We drink and cook from water in gallon jugs from the supermarket. At present we strain but don't filter the water but I will be adding a filter at some point.

Steve.
Thanks, Steve,

I was wondering more about your post #12, where you seemed to be advocating ducting the drains at some distance from the sink. I guess I misread that.

Fair winds,
Jack
The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 06:26   #49

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
I've seen seacocks in mainly European fast cruisers that have a lever and is flush with the hull that you can actually remove the valve body completely without hull out. Just unscrew and pull like a transducer. Wish all thruhulls were designed thusly - makes plugging it so much easier.
This is interesting, any idea of the brand?

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 06:34   #50

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I wonder if they had a high bilge level alarm and a very high capacity pump. If they had then they would have been alerted to the problem early and in time by the alarm to activate the pump, hopefully with enough capacity to hold the water level low enough to a point where it would have been possible to find the flow of water, fix it and carry on.

Once the water level has gone above a large part of the boat sole I can't see how it would be possible to find any leak other than a gaping hole.
Seems to me that one of those high capacity impeller pumps that are installed around the prop shaft that are pumping all the time as long as the engine is running would be a good idea on any boat with an inboard and venturing far from the expectation of outside help, as long as there is room to install it of course. Much higher capacity than any electric pump and will keep pumping until you run out of fuel or water reaches the air intake.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 07:34   #51

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Way View Post
Steve,

How would you drain the galley sink thru a long pipe run to above the waterline? I've considered seachests for intake and output, but your suggestion sounds different from that.

Thanks,
Jack
You can use a pump. This is what we intend to do with our sinks.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 08:42   #52

Quote:
This is interesting, any idea of the brand?

Steve.
Took a while but I found it.

Shake well seacocks. The moving mechanism completely separated from the thruhull and you cap it.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 09:08   #53

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
You can use a pump. This is what we intend to do with our sinks.
Our Outremer is perhaps the only one built galley down. the cabin soul is only 4 inches above the hull consequently the galley sink is very close to the waterline . We have a diaphragm pump that discharges above the water line,this took some getting used to but it is better than another through hull. Our Pdq 36 has a straight discharge over board.
The Outremer has 6 through hulls including transducers and the Pdq has 4
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 09:53   #54

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Going over the side in open ocean like the Atlantic in anything but becalmed waters is like suicide for most mere mortals.

Also I don't see how a visual inspection from the outside would be more helpful if they don't have the capacity to find it inside. If you can't access it you can't plug it.
Well if you can find from the outside you know where to look from the inside, or plug it from the outside. I think your first point is the main issue though, if you can't safely be in the water it's a non issue.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 10:31   #55

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

There are a lot of safety inspections before departing the ARC. Fortunate that they were still close enough for rescue. In 2013 two men sailing in the ARC spotted an orange speck in the distance. They sailed over to see what it was, and ended up rescuing 2 guys in a liferaft. It was somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic, so luck was surely on their side that day.
NOAH's yellow brick tracker is still showing the location of the sinking yacht in the ARC tracking.
Old 26-11-2016, 10:37   #56

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
NOAH's yellow brick tracker is still showing the location of the sinking yacht in the ARC tracking.
We can see even that it is moving. Last time I checked on a current with 0.7k.

I believe that means the boat had not sunk. It was thought that the boat would sink on the night of the day they were rescued....and that was several days ago. A aluminium boat with an heavy ballast and open water would sunk fast unless a lot of floatability is provided. Can someone explain how that is possible with water entering the boat?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 10:58   #57

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Maybe water was entering while heeled only. Such as the hull to deck mating being compromised.

Edit,... now I notice aluminum boat. So maybe there is no joining at the hull/deck, and it is welded. Anyway, just speculating.
Old 26-11-2016, 13:43   #58

Boat: Outbound 44

From a Google translate of Noah's blog. I scanned older entries and didn't see the reference to water in the bilge issues that Polux mentioned -- maybe a translation issue.
Quote:
23 degrees 42.28 N, 020 degrees 32.39 W 22:00 UTC 23.11.2016

Our trip took us back to Tenerife. Here we will stay for the time being to clarify everything in peace and let go. Our project was interrupted four hundred miles before Gran Canaria. In the early morning hours, Noah must have touched something, but everything went on as usual. The constantly rising water level showed us the extent.
Old 26-11-2016, 14:22   #59

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Seems to me that one of those high capacity impeller pumps that are installed around the prop shaft that are pumping all the time as long as the engine is running would be a good idea on any boat with an inboard and venturing far from the expectation of outside help, as long as there is room to install it of course. Much higher capacity than any electric pump and will keep pumping until you run out of fuel or water reaches the air intake.

Steve.
There was a thread sometime back regarding various types of high volume pumps such as the one your talking about......anyone recall the thread? I think for the cost they are a great investment.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 14:38   #60
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
There was a thread sometime back regarding various types of high volume pumps such as the one your talking about......anyone recall the thread? I think for the cost they are a great investment.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I think a "Crash Pump" is a good idea for an ocean crossing boat.

I believe the thread and the pump you are thinking of could be seen in this post on this thread, and it is available to be added to an engine.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1289124
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, hull, monohull