Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2011, 09:39   #121

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Human slobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD WITH THAT ONE..way to many people...now where do we start....? THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS.

Don't worry about that. Either Gaia or some secretive order of filthy rich sociopaths have that well in hand. Its only a matter of time before a bug of some sort hits the population. Remember Steven Kings' movie The Stand? Aside from all the religious mumbo jumbo that was pretty close to what may hit us any day now. But don't sweat it. Enjoy yourselves at sea. No point in fretting about what you can't control or fight.

And for entertainment, I find picking up someones' trash and depositing it in their cockpit at 0dark30 is very soothing for the soul.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 09:42   #122
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post

And for entertainment, I find picking up someones' trash and depositing it in their cockpit at 0dark30 is very soothing for the soul.

Sabre
This i gotta see
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 11:24   #123
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran
Re: Human Slobs

I gues this action would dwarf old Swarchenager's worst nightmare if he gets caught! Dumping a guys garbage back in the cockpit .. ##=+=# Now that will be fun!!
niel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 11:37   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post

Ask yourself, do you see animals polluting the hell out of their environment? Nope.

Sabre
Guess you haven't see the mess cattle and other herd animals, domestic and wild, make when they piss and poop into a stream, have you?

Fish don't really appreciate that stuff, and it wrecks havoc with their ability to breath and reproduce.
Old 13-07-2011, 12:20   #125
Marine Service Provider

Somehow i can't seem to bring plastic and poop together, also somewhere i read that the mess man make can take miliniums to recover if it recovers and mess animals make with the Sh###t and wee make plants grow!
What i do know is that plastic bags can kill marine life as well river fish this is a much bigger threat here and now.

I do believe plastic manufacturers should and must carry the cost of clean up, after all they made big bucks off those people who wish to enjoy white unspoiled beaches!
Old 13-07-2011, 12:36   #126
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

In asia and the pacific islands i've seen candie wrapped in what I thought was clear plastic.. so, im eating this candie and the children are laughing at me ...im thinking ive got something on my face or my nose and they think its funny..but no they are laughing because im removing the plastic or what I think is plastic it is actually...rice paper!so they just eat the whole thing wrapper and all..Im thinking what a great idea..why dont we just use edible paper instead of all this waste...of course you dont want to eat the wrapping on a new TV or refrigerater but it could be something that would be degradable like rice paper and would not fill up the land fill so fast and it could be feed to livestock and would save on the cost of feeding livestock maybe.DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 13:06   #127
Marine Service Provider

Yea DVC, rice paper now comes to mind and it is a very, very cool idea! If the sweet manufacture company's use rice paper for their sweet wrappings were halfway there! And i have seen that they use a non toxic ink to print!
Old 13-07-2011, 14:41   #128

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
In asia and the pacific islands i've seen candie wrapped in what I thought was clear plastic.. so, im eating this candie and the children are laughing at me ...im thinking ive got something on my face or my nose and they think its funny..but no they are laughing because im removing the plastic or what I think is plastic it is actually...rice paper!so they just eat the whole thing wrapper and all..Im thinking what a great idea..why dont we just use edible paper instead of all this waste...of course you dont want to eat the wrapping on a new TV or refrigerater but it could be something that would be degradable like rice paper and would not fill up the land fill so fast and it could be feed to livestock and would save on the cost of feeding livestock maybe.DVC

It all comes at a cost.

If "consumers" were concerned then we would already be there.

How much are you willing to pay? 20% more? That would be like a 20% pay cut. Been there more than once. It sucks.

You are going to eat a piece of candy, wrapper and all, that you pick up at the checkout line not knowing which snot-nosed kid just picked it up and put it mack cause mom said "no"?

Sure you are..............
Old 13-07-2011, 15:02   #129
Marine Service Provider

I guess we eat a lot of "snot nose" foods we do not see which were handled by "snot nose" grown ups. Then there's the traditional eat out scenario, food is prepared in sweatty kitchens by cooks that are so hot they cannot work without sweating, where does that drip? Or in store rooms rat urinate tin foodstuff and drinks, who washes down canned cokes? The list goes on and on and i guess when one put your mind to it we should be living like that TV Character Monk! I do not condone dirty food or unwashed hands but how does one control this?
Old 13-07-2011, 15:36   #130
Marine Service Provider

Thumbs up Re: Human Slobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
It all comes at a cost.

If "consumers" were concerned then we would already be there.

How much are you willing to pay? 20% more? That would be like a 20% pay cut. Been there more than once. It sucks.

You are going to eat a piece of candy, wrapper and all, that you pick up at the checkout line not knowing which snot-nosed kid just picked it up and put it mack cause mom said "no"?

Sure you are..............
the candy was like ten pieces in a rice paper wrapper that you could eat if you wanted to ..then the individual pieces were also wrapped in rice paper which was eaten more often than not and since i was in Saipan the first time I saw this it was marked up more than 20% because everything is imported..everything..as far as taking a 20% pay cut, never did that, I bet it would suck...outloud!why do you think consumers dont care?lack of education?If so we can change that(you educated me I no longer spell candy with ie )lets start right NOW.. Im not going to buy anything that is not wrapped in rice paper... dadgonit... and when in eastern europe the next time I go I will not eat that bread that they bake fresh every day and then just dump into a stall so every snot nose person can have a go at it. God only knows how many millions of people have died over the years eating that unwrapped bread, some one should teach those people better, some one like..like... YOU ..your a good teacher thanks DVC
Old 13-07-2011, 15:49   #131
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

My daughter loves this stuff... and the little cardboard box keeps it plenty clean.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 16:45   #132

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

While I agree with everyone's sentiments, I have to ask . . . what will happen to all the old fiberglass boats 98% of us use when they're crazed, dented, delaminated, and cracked beyond repair?

For some compensation, they won't be the size to be ingested by sealife, but still I wonder what the thinking will be 100 years from now of shorelines littered with discarded BenJenBavaLinas.
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 17:04   #133
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

I have wondered about the final disposition of the ubiquitous plastic classic as well...

It seems as if the short answer is they can't (as of now) be recycled.

The longer answer is that it may be possible to recycle some fiberglass into new products, and it is possible, but not apparently fiscally profitable, to reclaim epoxy and poly resins.

But it isn't being done in any meaningful way as best I can tell and there seems to be little research on the topic at the moment...

It sucks that no matter where I step my footprint is always bigger than I would like it to be...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 20:23   #134

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Is this true?I aint never heard such a thing as this...bananas are man made?come on..were their not any bananas before bikini atoll?Im a little slow but this sounds ODD.DVC

And it's not even near April 1st !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 00:26   #135
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
And it's not even near April 1st !
Is that when their safe to eat?