Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2016, 08:45   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Hit and Run in St Maarten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
are there no police in St Maarten?
Darn it, that makes too much sense
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:46   #17

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx
pirate Re: Hit and Run in St Maarten

And you reported it to the either the Dutch or French authorities at the time of the incident? If you had, likely the vessel would have been flagged and not be allowed to clear customs until resolution was complete.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:47   #18

God luck in locating the man YachtSplinter and I sincerely hope there is a good explanation of it all and that the two of you can get everything sorted.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:53   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmasailor View Post
I think this an effective way to try and find someone. The photo is the same as on his own website; no harm in reposting that?
I really hope this is all mis-communication and he will contact the OP soon.
Wasn't the pic but the wording. I am very upset this man thinks he can damage my boat and then just leave without sorting the damage out.

May think, might have been better?

I hope it gets resolved.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:03   #20

Ok, I think this thread is quickly loosing what I had intended.

The guy does not have AIS
He has a broken radio
He agreed to do everything to sort this
He was anchored 2 boats away then left..? I would guess this is not the action of a honest person..I would reason to think it is reasonable for him to pop over to let me know his plans.
I have contacted the coast guard on the Dutch side, as he has left the Dutch side by checking out of customs on Monday they have no power on the French side.
I have also contacted the French Customs and police to help but as it's a civil dispute they are not really interested.

I am trying to look for him on the French side of the island and asking for local people to just keep an eye out to help me find him.

Yes I agree 2 sides of a situation but I have much more important things to do than to set up a name and shame campaign on a stranger. The guy hit my boat, did a runner I need to find him quickly it's the Caribbean..he can be anywhere in a short time.

I was minding my own business reading at anchor when this guy hit my boat I was down in the cabin.
He did agree to help and was very reasonable and I trusted him, he seemed a respectable person.

What I do not understand is why he left without telling me where he was going and making arrangements with the damage .

If the tread is in the wrong place I am sorry, what I am looking for is local people to keep a look out to help me.

Please remember I am the innocent party here with damage to my boat with nobody now to pay for the repair. I do not think this is fair.

Just off topic

Some of you please give me a break, this is not a public shame campaign, I just need help to find the guy. I think by checking out of a country where the damage was done is not a good sign and I have Every right to try to find the guy. If he innocently shows up then I will remove this, and if I find him I will remove it as well. It is just a tool to find the guy.

I am looking for help to find this guy, what am I expected to say ? People need to know the reason why I am looking for him. Please don't use this tread as a bashing stick towards me just because you don't like the post. That's a waste of time.

I have a genuine problem with this guy and need to find him...do you think you have a genuine problem with me ?

Please feel free to offer advice like where on the internet I can find help looking for the guy. But if your over 2000 miles away you are not my target audience.
YachtSplinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:15   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Even when people like me, who are far away and can't really help respond, it "bumps" your post to the top of the list so that when people log on, it's up at the top and they see it right away, activity keeps it in view.

I'm sorry to hear about your boat, if it were me, I'm afraid I may not be so civil, I hope it gets resolved quickly and a good outcome.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:41   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Even when people like me, who are far away and can't really help respond, it "bumps" your post to the top of the list so that when people log on, it's up at the top and they see it right away, activity keeps it in view.

I'm sorry to hear about your boat, if it were me, I'm afraid I may not be so civil, I hope it gets resolved quickly and a good outcome.
We hadn't heard anything about the extent of the damage? I don't mean to bash the OP. But he is afloat. A mil. for a scuffed rub rail? I would blow that off.

I would love to hear both sides.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:58   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
We hadn't heard anything about the extent of the damage? I don't mean to bash the OP. But he is afloat. A mil. for a scuffed rub rail? I would blow that off.

Extent of damage argument: pure rubbish. See below why I'm so sensitive. If it's little $$ then the guy who hit him should have ponied up. If major, insurance. Extent of damages is not the issue here.

I support the OP regardless of the other side, unless the OP hit the other guy in which case he wouldn't be posting. Sheez.

To the OP: same thing happened to me last November: down below, got hit. The guy who hit me at least was honest and stayed around and gave me his insurance info. That is essential, but too late, sorry to hear.

Good luck finding the scumbag.

You'd hear the other side if the s-bag hadn't run off.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:07   #24

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post

why do you want to hear both sides? what does both sides have to do with what the OP is asking. if you know where the guy is PM him.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:11   #25

Boat: Catalina 30

Guys (and Gals ... No offense, gotta be PC here ),

Reading (most of) the replies here, I can't but wonder it were you in the position of the OP, if you'd feel the same.

The situation, as presented, is that OP's boat was damaged, the boater who caused the damage agreed to settle, then left the country, and the OP is trying to find him.

I find most of the replies here to be insensitive at best, and stupid at worst. Give the guy (the OP) a break! Especially if you are a thousand miles away.

Presuming that the police were not contacted, presuming it was a lightly damaged rub-rail, etc. is not helpful. Besides, if it is a $100 rub-rail, and the agreement was that it would be paid for, it should be done.

Personally, I tire of seeing the same old posters take positions without knowing the facts, making assumptions followed by pontifications as to what the poster should have done, should have known, should have ... you name it..

I see no reason whatsoever for at least half of the posts here. You have offered no help, no solutions.

Get a life!

jus' sayin...
Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:18   #26

Boat: Antares 44i

Don't worry, OP, your posts have been just fine. You have every right to be worried and to try and find the guy. Ignore the grumpy old trolls on this site, and don't respond to them, you won't convince them. You have been very appropriate. I'm sorry for your troubles, and I wish you the best of luck in sorting out the problem.
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:19   #27

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuzzlebutt View Post
Guys (and Gals ... No offense, gotta be PC here ),

Reading (most of) the replies here, I can't but wonder it were you in the position of the OP, if you'd feel the same.

The situation, as presented, is that OP's boat was damaged, the boater who caused the damage agreed to settle, then left the country, and the OP is trying to find him.

I find most of the replies here to be insensitive at best, and stupid at worst. Give the guy (the OP) a break! Especially if you are a thousand miles away.

Presuming that the police were not contacted, presuming it was a lightly damaged rub-rail, etc. is not helpful. Besides, if it is a $100 rub-rail, and the agreement was that it would be paid for, it should be done.

Personally, I tire of seeing the same old posters take positions without knowing the facts, making assumptions followed by pontifications as to what the poster should have done, should have known, should have ... you name it..

I see no reason whatsoever for at least half of the posts here. You have offered no help, no solutions.

Get a life!

jus' sayin...
Well put.....
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:28   #28
cruiser

I hope not, but you're probably screwed.

This very thing happened to me, but in my case, it was caught on video.

Owner of the boat which hit me said he'd 'make it good.' We exchanged contact info. Turns out that the other boat had no insurance, is not documented, is not registered with any state (this happened in US) and when our insurance contacted the owner he blew them off.

My insurance paid, although I'm out the deductible.

My advice, albeit it's too late for you:
-Never let the other boat leave without exchanging INSURANCE info at a minimum, but you really should... **Make damned sure you get some sort of official report, police accident report, SOME sort of official witness to the accident**
-And ffs, get insurance of your own, at least liability. If you can't afford to get insurance, sell your boat, you can't afford the boat.

I don't care how nice the people seem, PROTECT YOURSELF.

And do a Google search for 'boat name and owner name' you'd be surprised what you find...
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:33   #29

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZUS View Post
You have every right to be worried and to try and find the guy.
Nobody disagreed with that ... doh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZUS View Post
Ignore the grumpy old trolls on this site,
Something tells me you don't know what an internet troll is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD28 View Post
My advice, albeit it's too late for you:
-Never let the other boat leave without exchanging INSURANCE info at a minimum, but you really should...
**Make damned sure you get some sort of official report, police accident report, SOME sort of official witness to the accident**
-And ffs, get insurance of your own, at least liability. If you can't afford to get insurance, sell your boat, you can't afford the boat.

I don't care how nice the people seem, PROTECT YOURSELF.
Yup

This is definitely good advise - maybe too late for this time, but at least the OP will be prepared should there be a next time.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:41   #30

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416

Good luck - seriously. I was at anchor in Great Bay, Philipsburg a couple of years ago, reading in the cockpit (but facing aft), when a loud crash signaled the impact of a jetski and my bow. Two injured riders ended up in the water, but were fairly quickly rescued by another guy from the jetski company, who told me they'd be right back out to sort out the situation.

You know how this one goes. No one came, and luckily I had snapped a photo that inadvertently captured the jetski sufficiently to identify it later. The riders were crew on a cruise ship that departed that day, with their injured crewmembers aboard. It took a couple of weeks to get the whole thing sorted out, and I had to be VERY persistent. But it all worked out.

Hope it will for the OP also. Bad news, if the dragger is also a runner.
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote