Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2019, 18:25   #46

New Joke Thread

Have you seen this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-11-13 18-57-22.png
Views:	157
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	203092  
Old 13-11-2019, 18:32   #47

Boat: Hanse 430e
Re: Greta hitches a ride on La Vagabonde

Does La Vag have a bucket for her to crap in?
Old 13-11-2019, 18:40   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I make no comment on the climate side of this argument.

I do have concern for a young girl with Asbergers, OCD and ADHD. I have family experience with Bi-polar condition and I suspect that applies here too.

Now think of all the young kids who have been swamped with notoriety, fame and adulation (The Justin Bieber type) and consider how they have fared.

This young lady with all her issues is headed for a very bad fall.

Very very sad.
Old 13-11-2019, 18:50   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Greta hitches a ride on La Vagabonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
Rightists are so easily triggered. A 16 year old girl passionately and sincerely expresses her opinions and they go apoplectic. The thing is Greta has science on her side. As the evidence mounts, rightists just have increasingly bizarre conspiracy theories and narcissistic cult-like figures to sustain them.
Not going apoplectic at all.. they amuse me more than anything.. Extinction Rebellion recently blocked London for a week, the trash and graffiti they left behind was shameful.. Save the planet, these middleclass prats aren't even capable of cleaning their own mess, they leave it for others..
Harry and Markel lecture the blue collars who save all year for 2 weeks in the sun they should stop flying.. then use a private jet 4 times in one month.. and Elton John says he'll plant a few trees to make up for it coz he luvs Harrys mom.
Like Me Too its a fad that will die off when something new comes along.
Climate works in cycles, small and large.. but crap like Carbon Credits and taxation is not the way out of it.
Fewer bombs would help, less burning of fields and forests would help.. cons like switch to diesel cars they're cleaner don't help..
But hey.. CC Is making some folks big bucks..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 13-11-2019, 18:53   #50

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Fantastic news: Thanks to vagabonde!

Will be a tough passage this time of year: hope for fair winds.

Greta understands she must control her own actions. She understands the power of sail!

There really are no excuses for motoring. It is polluting and you can sail everywhere without doing this. It is injustice to those who don't motor.

Hoping vagabonde steps up. When they get a chance after the passage to remove any engines or stoves that consumes fossil fuels!
Old 13-11-2019, 18:55   #51

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
It looks like Greta Thunberg will be sailing across the Atlantic on La Vagabonde to the UN Climate Change Conference in Spain.

Good on Riley and Elayna for using their influence to raise concern about this huge global problem. No doubt the usual suspects will attack them for this, so they are taking a bit of a risk.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...be-influencers
If only she had been around in 1795 when the current warming trend started, we could still be able to walk to Staten Island on the ice in winter. So sad.
Old 13-11-2019, 18:56   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I do have concern for a young girl with Asbergers, OCD and ADHD. ... Now think of all the young kids who have been swamped with notoriety, fame and adulation (The Justin Bieber type) and consider how they have fared.
Quote:
"I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, OCD and selective mutism. That basically means I only speak when I think it's necessary. Now is one of those moments." — Greta Thunberg in her TEDx Talk
Stockholm, November 2018[15]
Quote:
...she does not view her Asperger's as an illness and has instead called it her "superpower".[18]
Source

No mention of ADHD, or of personality disorders. Likely the opposite - she apparently has an elevated capacity for intense focus. I suspect she is less susceptable to the trappings of fame and attention than the average teen.

Quote:
“I see the world a bit different, from another perspective,” she explained to New Yorker reporter Masha Gessen. “It’s very common that people on the autism spectrum have a special interest. … I can do the same thing for hours.” Thunberg discovered her special interest in climate change when she was just 9 years old, and she couldn’t understand why everyone on the planet wasn’t similarly obsessed with preventing it.

A visceral feeling of repulsion toward deceit and hypocrisy is also common among people on the spectrum. ... She has a particular contempt for the professional propagandists and apologists who prop up the fossil fuel industry and discourage the development of renewable energy resources, dismissing UK claims about reductions in carbon emissions as the result of “very creative accounting.”
Source

No surprise that so many deniers are terrified of her.
Old 13-11-2019, 18:56   #53

SLV seems like an odd choice, don't recall either Riley or Elayna championing renewables or conservation or anything else other than Youtube farming.

Delos, despite all their faults, would've been a better partner and vehicle, IMHO, though that ship has literally sailed.
Old 13-11-2019, 19:13   #54

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I'm going to tell her to shut up and so that I can concentrate on deciding the best solution to the problem.

I'm in a much better position to judge whether the best option is to try to restart the vehicle, move it either forward or backward by cranking the starter in gear or to bail out of the vehicle. She is clearly not aware of the various options and their implications.

I think she would say that you had your chance. That's the way it goes..
Old 13-11-2019, 19:47   #55

Boat: Westerly 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecapes View Post
SLV seems like an odd choice, don't recall either Riley or Elayna championing renewables or conservation or anything else other than Youtube farming.

Delos, despite all their faults, would've been a better partner and vehicle, IMHO, though that ship has literally sailed.
RAN would have been a good choice but they are boatless ATM. Fellow Swedes who had the temerity to mention climate change in some of their videos and got pilloried by some of their subscribers for mentioning the obvious.

Like most of the sailors I know I'm sure Elayna and Riley are sincere in their concern for the environment. They may even feel some shame that their country is one of the biggest per capita polluters and exports vast amounts of carbon in the form of coal and LNG while the current LNP government has an abysmal track record at doing anything about climate change. Meanwhile Australian rural communities and natural assets are being devastated by the worst drought on record. Parts of the country that haven't burnt for millennia, including rainforests, are currently ablaze. The deniers are looking more and more absurd every day.
Old 13-11-2019, 20:04   #56

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Weavis; paging Weavis....
Old 13-11-2019, 20:12   #57

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Having just completed a six month cruise I know exactly what you mean about getting away form all the toxic politics. What a relief! However, there's no getting away form the harsh reality of climate change. As we cruised down the east coast of Australia the dust and smoke haze constantly reminded us of the devastation being wrought by the unprecedented drought.
Neither the drought nor the bush fires are "unprecedented". To quote the poet Dorothy Mc Keller "a land of drought and flooding rains".

It's not even a particularly bad drought yet in that it has not lasted any where as long or is as wide spread as previous droughts and the fires, whilst wide spread are no where near as serious as say the Black Friday bush fire with it's death toll in the hundreds and lost dwellings in the thousands.

As that master of the vernacular said in relation to a previous trend, even the parrots in the trees are screeching "climate change" every time we have one of these incidents these days.

And I see on the TV news even Greta's had a go from her perch.
Old 13-11-2019, 20:19   #58

In before the thread lock, this should be enlightening to several people here who I'm fairly certain are gifted themselves.

Greta demonstrates typical gifted traits. Gifted people are like 100% diagnosed with anxiety, depression, OCD, or worse. Anyone with an IQ over 110, or who can rebuild an engine, ought to read about this stuff if they want to protect themselves from misdiagnosis.
https://www.sengifted.org/post/when-...tric-diagnosis
https://www.amazon.com/Misdiagnosis-...qid=1573700397

Consider reading into Dabrowski, who studied gifted people to a large degree, but was lost to popular psychology and culture for decades:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazimierz_D%C4%85browski

Otherwise consider reading about Dabrowski's theory on why 80% of people are sheeple. Dabrowski's positive disintegration theory basically is kryptonite to the paychecks of clinical psychologists and psychiatrists. Gifted people never were in Dabrowski's Stage 1 (sheeple stage) and therefor have no tolerance for idiotic norms (paging most sailors).

To see a kid who "acts and talks like Greta," consider watching what Jacob Barnett (quantum gravity researcher since adolescence) has to say about the Socratic method...pretty much the only presentation of the Socratic method that I've ever seen that is correct (even though he doesn't mention Socrates...he's speaking the logic of Socrates with respect to the only proper way to learn).
Old 13-11-2019, 21:12   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
In before the thread lock, this should be enlightening to several people here who I'm fairly certain are gifted themselves.

Greta demonstrates typical gifted traits. Gifted people are like 100% diagnosed with anxiety, depression, OCD, or worse. Anyone with an IQ over 110, or who can rebuild an engine, ought to read about this stuff if they want to protect themselves from misdiagnosis.
https://www.sengifted.org/post/when-...tric-diagnosis
https://www.amazon.com/Misdiagnosis-...qid=1573700397

Consider reading into Dabrowski, who studied gifted people to a large degree, but was lost to popular psychology and culture for decades:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazimierz_D%C4%85browski

Otherwise consider reading about Dabrowski's theory on why 80% of people are sheeple. Dabrowski's positive disintegration theory basically is kryptonite to the paychecks of clinical psychologists and psychiatrists. Gifted people never were in Dabrowski's Stage 1 (sheeple stage) and therefor have no tolerance for idiotic norms (paging most sailors).

To see a kid who "acts and talks like Greta," consider watching what Jacob Barnett (quantum gravity researcher since adolescence) has to say about the Socratic method...pretty much the only presentation of the Socratic method that I've ever seen that is correct (even though he doesn't mention Socrates...he's speaking the logic of Socrates with respect to the only proper way to learn).
This is a more scientific take on Nietzsche's "the artist must be mad to create". Conformists and "average" people by definition rarely produce much outside the norm. On the other hand it seems that the hysterics around the climate are 21st century''s version of Salem village hysterics of 1690s. Only with powerful media platforms and big $$$ on its side.
Old 13-11-2019, 21:18   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Source

No mention of ADHD
Got the ADHD bit from one of her mothers interviews.
I admitted in my post that the bi-polar issue was my personal suspicion based on my experience with three close family members.