Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2019, 13:25   #16
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Greta hitches a ride on La Vagabonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by verb88 View Post
you are correct.

I should have said developmental disorder, not learning disability
Actually most in the community see it as just a different style of thinking and being in the world, not at all something to be "corrected" or criticized, not even just tolerated but fully accepted even embraced.

Since more mainstream neurotypical people have been suppressing them, even shutting them away throughout history, that will take some adjustments on society's part, just as with non-binary gender differences.
Old 13-11-2019, 13:28   #17

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
She could to be a little less 'hysterical' in her delivery. I don't need to be lecture-screamed at by a 16 year old girl who sounds like she's having a temper tantrum. The message is excellent, but she needs to work on her delivery for me to take her seriously.

Well - she, and her entire generation, have a lot more at stake than we do. I didn't get a sense of hysterical delivery, but I think we will in the next few years. From insurance rates...
Old 13-11-2019, 13:30   #18

Boat: 1999 Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervivos View Post
I have a feeling the outcome for La Vagabond will be just the opposite. People who like sailing shows to get away from politics will leave...along with their dollars. The young radical folks will flock to the the show and watch a few shows, until the next hip topic takes off.

Take a look at the comments on this "news" article. Absolutely brutal.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art....html#comments

Bring this back to sailing, not sure I would want to sail a light performance cat in the atlantic this time of year....I hope stardom hasn't clouded their judgement and this ends badly. Do they even have AIS? Couldn't find them....

I watch the sailing channels to get away from 'politics'. The past few years of 'politics' being crammed into everyone's brains 24/7 cost me my marriage and a number of other problems. I wish 'politics' would just leave me alone and quit following me everywhere all the time, yapping and screaming about pointless minutiae and then making me pay for it all with ever increasing taxes and ever more worthless 'money'. I really hope this doesn't impact LV too badly. My boat is my refuge from all that bickering and backstabbing... I don't think I'd be interested in picking a side using my livelihood to do it. My experience is that mixing politics and work will typically result in unemployment and fast.
Old 13-11-2019, 13:33   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
interesting, isn’t it: the loudest enthusiasm screaming for the most radical, go-for-broke (end?) solutions historically was alway created by persons mentally disturbed to some degree...

I know you didn’t mean mentally disturbed as an insult.

But you may be surprised at how many of the “Greats” likely had Aspergers. From Lindburg, Einstein, Archimedes, Issac Newton to name a few.
Here are a few others
https://www.appliedbehavioranalysisp...tism-spectrum/
Old 13-11-2019, 13:42   #20

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Attention whores, attention whoring, whodathunk it..............
Old 13-11-2019, 13:47   #21

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Just because Greta is sailing with them does not mean they will go into politics. It is just a kid who has a belief that resonates with lots of people . Even if she and the science is all wrong ( which I doubt) what is the down side ? Cleaner air and water ,less respiratory issues , less garbage in the water. You are right who would want that .
Old 13-11-2019, 13:59   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervivos View Post
I have a feeling the outcome for La Vagabond will be just the opposite. People who like sailing shows to get away from politics will leave...along with their dollars. The young radical folks will flock to the the show and watch a few shows, until the next hip topic takes off.

Take a look at the comments on this "news" article. Absolutely brutal.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art....html#comments

Bring this back to sailing, not sure I would want to sail a light performance cat in the atlantic this time of year....I hope stardom hasn't clouded their judgement and this ends badly. Do they even have AIS? Couldn't find them....

There's a lot of vocal criticism of climate change science on-line, and in certain opinion media, but much less in the real world I believe. All the people under 40 that I know consider it to be scientific fact. It will be interesting if it has any effect Vagabond's popularity, either way. I'd bet it increases, if anything at all, but I'm wrong a lot.
Old 13-11-2019, 14:44   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

When are they intending to leave and what route?
Old 13-11-2019, 14:44   #24

Boat: Westerly 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Melody View Post
I watch the sailing channels to get away from 'politics'. The past few years of 'politics' being crammed into everyone's brains 24/7 cost me my marriage and a number of other problems. I wish 'politics' would just leave me alone and quit following me everywhere all the time, yapping and screaming about pointless minutiae and then making me pay for it all with ever increasing taxes and ever more worthless 'money'. I really hope this doesn't impact LV too badly. My boat is my refuge from all that bickering and backstabbing... I don't think I'd be interested in picking a side using my livelihood to do it. My experience is that mixing politics and work will typically result in unemployment and fast.
Politics is indeed increasingly toxic. It's sad that climate change has become a political football and just another part of the pointless culture wars. It should be seen as a scientific issue ultimately requiring an engineering solution.

Having just completed a six month cruise I know exactly what you mean about getting away form all the toxic politics. What a relief! However, there's no getting away form the harsh reality of climate change. As we cruised down the east coast of Australia the dust and smoke haze constantly reminded us of the devastation being wrought by the unprecedented drought.
Old 13-11-2019, 14:47   #25

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
When are they intending to leave and what route?
Already on their way, and as far as I can tell their route is straight into the red bits !

https://forecast.predictwind.com/tra...ingLaVagabonde
Old 13-11-2019, 15:01   #26

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Already on their way, and as far as I can tell their route is straight into the red bits !

Fortunately red turns to green by the time they get to the stream. Trying to figure out what course they are going to take through the next five days. There are no obvious solutions. Should be interesting to watch.
Old 13-11-2019, 15:14   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post

Neat tracking. They're passing over some good fishing canyons right now..
Old 13-11-2019, 15:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
. It's sad that climate change has become a political football and just another part of the pointless culture wars. It should be seen as a scientific issue ultimately requiring an engineering solution.

Well said. Amen to that.
Old 13-11-2019, 15:24   #29

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Fortunately red turns to green by the time they get to the stream. Trying to figure out what course they are going to take through the next five days. There are no obvious solutions. Should be interesting to watch.

They are going to get some bumps along the way, but based on a quick look at Windy, I'd head to 30 degrees and hide from the stuff coming later this week. Winds look good down there now, but since they are trying to keep from running the motors, it may not work in the end if they get the typical highs/calms being that low.

Matt
Old 13-11-2019, 16:04   #30
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

It has always been easier to shoot the messenger rather than deal with the message.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Closed Thread