Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2016, 09:49   #1

Boat: Catalina 34
Send a message via Yahoo to Capt Robert
FL Anchor Ban Passes House & Senate

Florida House & Senate have now passed the Anchor Limitations Area Bill, time to appeal directly to Governor Scott, who must sign it to become law July 1. Here is letter I just sent him, feel free to plagiarize any part, then send to directly to him at: Email the Governor

You have to understand that this Bill went through our House & Senate like Sh$%# through a goose, there is no doubt that if it becomes law every waterfront community will pressure their rep to enact their own ban. Please write the governor TODAY, even if you don't live or cruise here. Thank you

Dear Governor Scott: I am deeply concerned about the Anchor Limitation Areas Bill that just passed the House & Senate and I urge you to VETO it. As a licensed skipper, sailor, and resident of Jacksonville I have enjoyed the waterways here year round for the past decade. My family and I frequently sail from the St. Johns River, up and down the ICW. At the end of a long day we drop the hook wherever we are, and enjoy a peaceful sunset with dinner, and turn in early for the night. And I don’t mind if there are homes on the shore where we anchor, I’m happy to share the sunset.

The authors of this bill will tell you that there is a problem with access for water skiers in the three areas that will ban overnight anchoring: Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and Destin. But this is disingenuous, for it is unlawful to water ski at night. This is, sir, a thinly veiled “scenery grab” by the waterfront homeowners in these areas. They seek to improve their view outside their condos. But these are public waterways used by boaters as staging areas as they prepare to cross the Gulf Stream or head for the Keys. They must wait for a proper weather window. Yes, there are marinas, but they are frequently full and unaffordable to many boaters.

Over the years I have met boaters from all over North America and Europe. They are a resourceful lot, and come here to enjoy the ICW as they head for the Keys, Bahamas, or Caribbean. Many store their boats in our boatyards for the summer. They are not boat bums, they spend a lot of money as they travel; and they will spend it only where they are welcome! To preclude boaters from anchoring in these locations tells them to move along—you’re not wanted here. And I have heard it said more than once that if there are restrictions, they will take a left at the St. Marys River and skip our state. These three areas are just the beginning sir, many waterside communities will pressure their representatives to enact their own ban and Florida will become a boat unfriendly state.

Please, don’t punish the thousands of responsible boaters who love cruising here!

You may write or call me at any time to discuss this issue. Thanks for your service, Capt. Robert Beringer
Capt Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:25   #2

Re: FL Anchor Ban Passes House & Senate

Rather than sell how lovely boating is, I think a better approach would be to cite laws/rights, federal and state statutes, etc.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:39   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisersfarm View Post
Rather than sell how lovely boating is, I think a better approach would be to cite laws/rights, federal and state statutes, etc.
]
Then please do so, I think his letter is fine. I myself being a doubting Thomas, doubt many are actually read, I think it is how many come in that are more important than actual content, even an "I think your nuts don't do this" is better than nothing
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:31   #4

Rather than either beauty, or laws and rights, I suspect that most politicians will be most easily moved by appeals that involve the economic effects, or the potential to alienate blocks of voters. In that regard, the third paragraph of Capt Robert's letter hits the nail on the head fairly well. I would put that first, and leave out most of the rest. The shorter and more to-the-point the letter is, the more impact it will have.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:47   #5

As with any law there is away around it.Drop your anchor where ever you want to spend the night.Just have someone fishing all night.There is no ban on anchored boats fishing all night.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:47   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I think a better approach would be to sail (with one's custom) to places more welcoming of cruisers and less slavish to the 1%.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:14   #7

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I sent my letter

-----
Dear Governor Scott: I am deeply concerned about the Anchor Limitation Areas Bill that just passed the House & Senate and I urge you to VETO it. As a sailor, and resident of LaBelle, I have enjoyed the waterways here year round for the past decade. I plan to sail around the world but locally will spend time in the ICW. At the end of a long day we drop the hook wherever we are, and enjoy a peaceful sunset with dinner, and turn in early for the night. And I don’t mind if there are homes on the shore where we anchor, I’m happy to share the sunset.

The authors of this bill will tell you that there is a problem with access for water skiers in the three areas that will ban overnight anchoring: Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and Destin. But this is disingenuous, for it is unlawful to water ski at night. This is, sir, a thinly veiled “scenery grab” by the waterfront homeowners in these areas. They seek to improve their view outside their condos. But these are public waterways used by boaters as staging areas as they prepare to cross the Gulf Stream or head for the Keys. They must wait for a proper weather window. Yes, there are marinas, but they are frequently full and unaffordable to many boaters. When I anchor I do my best to not be in the way of other boaters, often using 2 anchors to limit my motion.

Over the years I have met boaters from all over North America and Europe. They are a resourceful lot, and come here to enjoy the ICW as they head for the Keys, Bahamas, or Caribbean. Many store their boats in our boatyards for the summer. They are not boat bums, they spend a lot of money as they travel; and they will spend it only where they are welcome! To preclude boaters from anchoring in these locations tells them to move along—you’re not wanted here. And I have heard it said more than once that if there are restrictions, they will take a left at the St. Marys River and skip our state. These three areas are just the beginning sir, many waterside communities will pressure their representatives to enact their own ban and Florida will become a boat unfriendly state.

Please, don’t punish the thousands of responsible boaters who love cruising here!

You may write me at any time to discuss this issue. Thanks for your service, Jon Held, Jon Held's sailboat Steelin Time

----
Old 08-03-2016, 08:33   #8

I sent mine as well. As a new resident and a waterfront view home owner my approach was a little different. I pointed out that we moved to Florida to enjoy sailing along the coast, stopping where we like and taking in the beaches. That when we stopped we often tried local restaurants, made repairs or waited out weather.

I said I was very sad that our new home was moving in this restricted direction and was obviously being driven by a narrow well monied group. I also pointed out that I was now eligible to vote and urged him to veto the bill.

Sadly, I agree they are not read other than For or Against. but it is my first Florida vote.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:35   #9

Boat: Baba 40

Scott's an idiot (put nicely). I doubt any argument about how much money we spend supporting Floridian businesses in the state is going to sway him.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:39   #10

Boat: Catalina 25' "Grace"

Well if you have ever been stuck in the massive boat, party-thons that go on just pass the bridge in Destin you could understand how locals might want this ban. Maybe suggest the law actually address the real problem rather than blanket "all anchoring". Real straight language focused on the problem. Compromise people, the locals have rights too.
James
jmczzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:45   #11

Boat: Kadey Krogen, NorthSea, 48'

We're all in the same boat.....

Dear Governor Scott
Please veto the recently passed Anchor Limitations Area Bill passed by the Florida Legislature. This legislation threatens not only the Florida economy generally but the economic wellbeing of many small towns and marinas throughout the state. In addition, the inability to safely anchor in the proposed waterways (and likely many more to be added) will create a significant safety hazard to many traveling boaters who will be forced to make longer voyages, often during inclement weather and darkness.
For hundreds of years mariners have been able to explore and voyage throughout North America while the development of land along our waterways is a relatively new development. I urge you to think carefully of the impact of the Anchor Limitations Area Bill and its implications, including the message this legislation sends to the tourist and marine industry. Clearly there are conflicts that have developed in recent years with increased land development and traditional utilization of our natural water resources. Reasonable people with thoughtful leadership can find amendable resolution of these issues – crushing one natural resource users rights for the benefit of another is clearly unreasonable. Please send the proposed legislation back to the legislative leadership for refinement that will be acceptable to land owners and mariners whose predecessor’s have thoughtfully plied and anchored in these waters for hundreds of years. Under your leadership we can all live and visit in Florida peacefully and safely.
Thank you for your consideration,

Captain Ronald R Hall
USCG Master 100 Ton
Seattle, Washington

PS – we bought our trawler in Florida in 2013, paying over $20,000 in local taxes and fees and will be traveling in Florida again in 2016. Please don’t discourage boaters like us from coming to and visiting your beautiful state.
Woodcraftron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:48   #12

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Just tell Rick Scott that there is millions of dollars in anchorages that he can steal if he appeals the bill, that might get his attention
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:38   #13

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
]
Then please do so, I think his letter is fine. I myself being a doubting Thomas, doubt many are actually read, I think it is how many come in that are more important than actual content, even an "I think your nuts don't do this" is better than nothing

Polite letters/emails are good. Catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

The best way to get a politician's attention is a media campaign in your favor. A campaign that requires him to respond publicly or face possible embarrassment/loss of votes.

Cheers/ Len
Old 08-03-2016, 10:44   #14

Boat: Oceanis 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Robert View Post
Florida House & Senate have now passed the Anchor Limitations Area Bill, time to appeal directly to Governor Scott, who must sign it to become law July 1. Here is letter I just sent him, feel free to plagiarize any part, then send to directly to him at: Email the Governor

You have to understand that this Bill went through our House & Senate like Sh$%# through a goose, there is no doubt that if it becomes law every waterfront community will pressure their rep to enact their own ban. Please write the governor TODAY, even if you don't live or cruise here. Thank you

Dear Governor Scott: I am deeply concerned about the Anchor Limitation Areas Bill that just passed the House & Senate and I urge you to VETO it. As a licensed skipper, sailor, and resident of Jacksonville I have enjoyed the waterways here year round for the past decade. My family and I frequently sail from the St. Johns River, up and down the ICW. At the end of a long day we drop the hook wherever we are, and enjoy a peaceful sunset with dinner, and turn in early for the night. And I don’t mind if there are homes on the shore where we anchor, I’m happy to share the sunset.

The authors of this bill will tell you that there is a problem with access for water skiers in the three areas that will ban overnight anchoring: Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and Destin. But this is disingenuous, for it is unlawful to water ski at night. This is, sir, a thinly veiled “scenery grab” by the waterfront homeowners in these areas. They seek to improve their view outside their condos. But these are public waterways used by boaters as staging areas as they prepare to cross the Gulf Stream or head for the Keys. They must wait for a proper weather window. Yes, there are marinas, but they are frequently full and unaffordable to many boaters.

You may write or call me at any time to discuss this issue. Thanks for your service, Capt. Robert Beringer
Thanks for the info and the Governor's email. I have added my two cents to his mailbox.
Myknjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:01   #15

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Well, might be smart to consider dynamic positioning installed instead of anchoring. Could stay closer to someones private beach than ever before without breaking a law
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor