Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2016, 21:00   #1096

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Oh dear sir, I think you missed on that one. Might want to open a collage physics book.
OK From a university

Quote:
Greenhouse Effect

The greenhouse effect refers to circumstances where the short wavelengths of visible light from the sun pass through a transparent medium and are absorbed, but the longer wavelengths of the infrared re-radiation from the heated objects are unable to pass through that medium.
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 29-05-2016, 21:18   #1097

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
That was just one persons option as you know, in the panel discussion which you commented on before too.
The whole report - http://www.nap.edu/download/13519

Lots of hypotheses, few conclusions.
Old 29-05-2016, 21:26   #1098

Quote:

One hours solar energy input, exceeds the yearly human energy use from all sources. Of course, it has not a thing to do with global warming...
Notice anything

Old 29-05-2016, 21:31   #1099
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
OK From a university
You bit included this: " but the longer wavelengths of the infrared re-radiation from the heated objects"

And not a bit about UV.... Last time I checked UV was not infrared.

While Ozone blocks some UV, the fact that I still get sunburned tells me UV still gets to the surface.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply
Old 29-05-2016, 22:04   #1100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Notice anything

Yes I do notice you love to cut and paste charts and graphs.
None of which have anything to do with cruising in polar regions
Old 30-05-2016, 01:05   #1101

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
(discounting the minor addition of solar dust)
Just to give you a number: An estimate of around 78,000 metric tons of extraterrestrial material per year ends up on the planet. You can call that solar dust, but most of it is leftover debris from the time the solar system was formed and the sun was not even T-Tauri then ...

I'm still only watching, please don't mind me
adoxograph is offline   Reply
Old 30-05-2016, 01:16   #1102

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Just to give you a number: An estimate of around 78,000 metric tons of extraterrestrial material per year ends up on the planet. You can call that solar dust, but most of it is leftover debris from the time the solar system was formed and the sun was not even T-Tauri then ...

Do you have a reference for that information

I'm just watching most of the time too
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply
Old 30-05-2016, 01:21   #1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Do you have a reference for that information

I'm just watching most of the time too
Rothery, D. A., Gilmour, I., & Sephton, M. A. 2011, An Introduction to Astrobiology (2 edition ed.; Cambridge ; New York: Cambridge University Press)
Old 30-05-2016, 01:24   #1104

Quote:
Rothery, D. A., Gilmour, I., & Sephton, M. A. 2011, An Introduction to Astrobiology (2 edition ed.; Cambridge ; New York: Cambridge University Press)
What page dude
Old 30-05-2016, 01:26   #1105

Quote:
You bit included this: " but the longer wavelengths of the infrared re-radiation from the heated objects"

And not a bit about UV.... Last time I checked UV was not infrared.

While Ozone blocks some UV, the fact that I still get sunburned tells me UV still gets to the surface.
The stratosphere is called stratosphere because the Oxygen-Ozone-Cycle up there heats the atmosphere in layers.

You have to look at the wavelength in which whatever molecules or atoms become opaque. For IR its mainly water vapor (yes good old H2O) and CO2, for UV it's O3 and the molecules in your skin which absorb the energy. Don't forget re-emitted wavelength are always shifted.
Old 30-05-2016, 01:28   #1106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
What page dude

I'm back just watchin'
Old 30-05-2016, 01:32   #1107

Hmmm, estimates are from 5 to 300 tonnes per day,

In other words, no one really has any idea what it is..

My source

Getting a Handle on How Much Cosmic Dust Hits Earth - Universe Today
Old 30-05-2016, 01:32   #1108

Quote:

I'm back just watchin'
Me too
Old 30-05-2016, 04:04   #1109

Volcanoes And Climate Change: How Continental Volcanic Eruptions Drove Historic Climate Shifts | HNGN
Quote:
Although most climate scientists have their eye on the human causes of increased atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2) levels, a team of researchers from the University of Texas are exploring a different side of climate change: volcanoes. In a new study, they explore how ancient volcanic activity might have influenced historical climate shifts.

The team examined plate-tectonic movement of continents that might underlie the climate shift from hot to cold that Earth experienced over the course of its million-year history. In particular, the researchers made sure to focus on the long-terms shifts in Earth's baseline climate instead of short-term or man-made changes.

The results reveal that over the past 720 million years, periods of time when volcanoes were more active along continental arcs correlate with warmer conditions. Conversely, less active continental arc volcanoes are associated with colder conditions.

When volcanoes along continental arcs are active, the oceanic plate descends under the continental plate, stimulating the mixing of magma with carbon from Earth's crust, leading to the release of CO2 into the atmosphere during the eruption.

"Continental arc systems are plumbed through the Earth's crust and they tend to interact with carbon reservoir rock preserved beneath the surface," said Ryan McKenzie of Yale University and lead researcher of the study.[...]

The findings were published in the April 22 issue of the journal Science.
Quote:
Abstract

Variations in continental volcanic arc emissions have the potential to control atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2) levels and climate change on multimillion-year time scales. Here we present a compilation of ~120,000 detrital zircon uranium-lead (U-Pb) ages from global sedimentary deposits as a proxy to track the spatial distribution of continental magmatic arc systems from the Cryogenian period to the present. These data demonstrate a direct relationship between global arc activity and major climate shifts: Widespread continental arcs correspond with prominent early Paleozoic and Mesozoic greenhouse climates, whereas reduced continental arc activity corresponds with icehouse climates of the Cryogenian, Late Ordovician, late Paleozoic, and Cenozoic. This persistent coupled behavior provides evidence that continental volcanic outgassing drove long-term shifts in atmospheric CO2 levels over the past ~720 million years.
SailOar is offline   Reply
Old 30-05-2016, 06:58   #1110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

OK I suppose I did misword that I should have said cosmic dust. But still it has nothing to do with cruising in the polar regions .

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising