Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2012, 20:39   #91

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Re: Apocalypse..any plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
saw this on another sailing site,was just wondering if any body had made any plans for the next 3 weeks.............
There was once a yacht builder named "ETAP", which build unsinkable sailboats in Belgium. The yard was at one time taken over by Dehler, and went under when Dehler went under. The brand and the desings have since then been owned by some businessman who seems to think the world is going to end soon, so he apparently doesn't see the need to start up production again. Pity, because ETAP made great boats.
Their website offers a glimpse in what they once were, but has recently taken a turn for the surreal...

http://www.etapyachting.com/
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 20:43   #92
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Actually these are all examples of things people claim the Mayas believed, but there does not exist any hard proof at all that the Mayas attached any special significance at all to the roll over of the most significant digit in the long count.
The Spouse gets really really excited when the odometer rolls over interesting numbers too. I put about as much importance in the Mayan calendar and 12-21-2012 as I did in 66666.6 miles... ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 20:59   #93
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
The Spouse gets really really excited when the odometer rolls over interesting numbers too. I put about as much importance in the Mayan calendar and 12-21-2012 as I did in 66666.6 miles... ; -)
Me too. Religiously, every time the hour meter on my Yanmar turbo diesel passes an even 100 hours, I replaced the oil and filters. (Just in case the gods are angry.)

I realize this has nothing to do with the ancient Mayans, but maybe their calendars should have been more attentive to oil changes.
Old 29-11-2012, 21:12   #94

Boat: Franz Maas 37

The upside of all these portents of doom is that it keeps employed, all those entrepreneurial types who found new religions and write self help books for the terminally stupid.

A dear friend who lives in europe suggested we get married so that we don't face the end of the world as singles. It was such an original thought that I agreed, with only one caveat.

Said I, "Given your belief in cataclysm, I will marry you and promise to be with you until the end of time.....or six months, whichever comes first".
Said she, "@%&*#@$%*&^".

The wedding has been postponed!
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 21:13   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
There was once a yacht builder named "ETAP", which build unsinkable sailboats in Belgium. The yard was at one time taken over by Dehler, and went under when Dehler went under. The brand and the desings have since then been owned by some businessman who seems to think the world is going to end soon, so he apparently doesn't see the need to start up production again. Pity, because ETAP made great boats.
Their website offers a glimpse in what they once were, but has recently taken a turn for the surreal...

http://www.etapyachting.com/
i belive after the 21st the world will not be the same as it was on the 20th
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 21:45   #96

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i belive after the 21st the world will not be the same as it was on the 20th
I intend to start the 21st of december in one country, and end it in another... Mostly because I'm more interested in the 25th...
Old 29-11-2012, 22:12   #97

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

The Age of Taurus ended around 2000 odd years ago,,then the Age of Pisces began,,,and now Pisces is ending and the age of Aquarius is Dawning.

It was all about constellations with the ancients, You could say each world ended to herald the coming of another....all depends if you look skyward or not.
Interesting stuff actually.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 23:45   #98

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
The Age of Taurus ended around 2000 odd years ago,,then the Age of Pisces began,,,and now Pisces is ending and the age of Aquarius is Dawning.

It was all about constellations with the ancients, You could say each world ended to herald the coming of another....all depends if you look skyward or not.
Interesting stuff actually.
Quite right. It seems our ancestors took great stock in such things.

The world did not end at the turn of the last age, but not sure ancient Rome would see it that way. Living on the beaten path in the end of this age should prove just as interesting as it did last time.

In Arkansas there is a billionaire building a 80,000 square foot home, that is blastproof. It is being built over an extensive tunnel system that is worldlike. This guy, is former CIA and where the government stops, and he starts, is the subject for debate. It appears his" home" is really a gov complex of some kind. Saw a documentary on it today.

The swiss, in conjunction with every gov, locked a vault deep in a mountain, containing every known seed on the planet. Just what event, is that planning in advance for?

I have a friend that is a retired police chief, and also retired military intelligence. What does he have in his back yard? A bomb shelter, that he built himself of steel and concrete. Kind of looks like a storm shelter, till you look closer, and see it might not be weather he is planning for.
Old 29-11-2012, 23:50   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
The world did not end at the turn of the last age, but not sure ancient Rome would see it that way.
Those "ages" are a wierd concept anyway. Some ancients notice that stars, with a bit of imagination, can be made to appear to form shapes. Those shapes are given fairly random names, and then someone else notices that you can use those shapes to divide the sky in sectors, and that you can pretend that it all signifies something...
Old 29-11-2012, 23:51   #100

Boat: Skookum 53'

Check out the Bush compound in Paraguay, 400,000 acres on one of the largest fresh water aquifers in the world.
Old 30-11-2012, 00:23   #101

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:

Those "ages" are a wierd concept anyway. Some ancients notice that stars, with a bit of imagination, can be made to appear to form shapes. Those shapes are given fairly random names, and then someone else notices that you can use those shapes to divide the sky in sectors, and that you can pretend that it all signifies something...
Modern theology usually fails to point out why Christmas is December 25th? Reference you tube video above. The symbolism goes way beyond childish imagination. I was a theology major in college, and I learned stuff no theologian ever taught me, from that video.

Wealthy business, builds most of what they need today, to fuel the requirements of the upper class, with automation and robots. Stuff builds stuff, nothing is made by hand anymore. So what are the hands going to do, when they are no longer needed? If the elite flee, to their safe houses, and turn the lights out on us, then what? Look around, does the planet bosses seem to be acting like a renter that has no intention of paying the rent again, and is moving out?

Maybe we are allowed to have 500 million guns, so we clean ourselves out, and they don't have to do it.

I don't think Dec 23rd is anything, but I also don't think the financial mess we are in, is going anywhere, or will fix itself.

There is an eat, drink and be merry set of posts in this thread, and that is fine. It is afterall, a light hearted OP. However, being lighthearted on the tiatinac had only limited comfort and amounted to little at days end.

What will I be doing on Dec 23rd? Same as before, wondering when the bubble pops.
Old 30-11-2012, 01:10   #102

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I suggest that if we are all still around on the 22nd, we reconvene to discuss the next non-event .. the fiscal cliff.
Old 30-11-2012, 01:15   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post

The interesting thing is that only humans have a pre occupation with 'numbers', 'time' and 'calendars' since humans 'invented' them. Every other organism on the planet couldn't give a *****. And the natural world that we are of course a part of, could also care less about year, day of the week, seconds, minutes & hours. All that matters in nature is daylight or night, rain or drought, cycles, seasons.

The supposed Mayan 'end of the world' prediction is just another in the long list of 'doomsday' predictions by religious or superstitious people.

More likely an asteroid or meteorite strike, sudden dramatic increase in solar flares, mega volcanic eruptions blanketing the Earth in ash, etc, etc.....

So kick back, prepare your favourite beverage, drop the hook at your favourite anchorage and keep enjoying life...

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 02:02   #104
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
*^#%\!!!! Perfect!

I'm supposed to report for Jury Duty that day!!!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 02:41   #105

Boat: Looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
*^#%\!!!! Perfect!

I'm supposed to report for Jury Duty that day!!!
This is the true test of whether you believe!
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote