Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 22:45   #106

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
The Skipper has been rescued alive

Happy news of sorts

Quote:
South African skipper escapes Somali pirate
Yachtsman refuses to leave hijacked vessel after it runs aground, while crew members taken ashore as hostages

A South African yachtsman held captive by Somali pirates for several days has escaped after the hijacked vessel ran aground, but two of his fellow hostages have been taken on to the mainland.

The yacht, which is believed to have been attacked off the Kenyan coast last week, was located by the European Union's anti-piracy force (Navfor) as the vessel sailed "suspiciously close" to Barawa, in southern Somalia on Saturday. A French warship, the Floreal, attempted to make contact, flying its helicopter low past the vessel.

When there was no response, a naval team approached the yacht, only to be fired at, according to a Navfor statement. A subsequent mayday call from the yacht confirmed that pirates were in control.

Still under surveillance by the warship, the yacht ran aground yesterday. When the pirates tried to move their hostages ashore the skipper reportedly refused.

Initial reports from Somalia suggested he had been shot dead. But the EU force said today that he had been rescued from the yacht by the French navy once the pirates left.

"He is confirmed as being safe and is currently on board another EU Navfor warship," the statement said.

Two crew members were taken ashore, and have not yet been located despite an extensive aerial search. Reports have suggested the hostages are a male and a female of South African nationality.

In recent years Somali pirates have captured yachts from Germany, France and the UK. The British case involved Paul and Rachel Chandler, who were hijacked more than a year ago off Seychelles. They remain hostage, along with several hundred other foreign sailors.

The pirates' aim is to extract ransoms, which can be huge. On Saturday, a pirate gang claimed to have received a record $9.5m (£5.9m) to release the Samho Dream, a South Korean oil supertanker captured in April.

South African skipper escapes Somali pirate | World news | The Guardian
Old 09-11-2010, 00:27   #107

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
It was a South African yacht, the story is here.
Old 09-11-2010, 00:31   #108
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
A good piece from a South African newspaper

SA man escapes pirates - Crime & Courts - IOL | Breaking News | South Africa News | World News | Sport | Business | Entertainment | IOL.co.za

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 09-11-2010, 09:06   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Guidelines for yachts considering a passage through the Gulf of Aden, Yemeni and Somali waters (ISAF & MSCHOA*)

Herehttp://www.mschoa.org/YachtingGuidan...0v%202%204.pdf

Orhttp://www.sailing.org/28144.php

“...
5. It has long been common practice for yachts intending to transit the GoA to
form small informal convoys in either Djibouti, Aden or Salalah. It is
emphasized that this is a decision for individual skippers but the military forces
support this concept. If the convoy approach is to be followed it is suggested
that there is a limit of no more than five vessels in any one convoy. This is
because vessels will need to keep close to one another if they are to offer any
protection through numbers, and close station-keeping for the duration of the
voyage through the GoA may prove a strain particularly if short-handed.

6. Carriage of arms is not advised. There is a serious risk of escalation of the
levels of violence.
...”

* MSCHOA (Maritime Security Centre, Horn of Africa)
http://www.mschoa.org/Pages/default.aspx

Old 09-11-2010, 09:17   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
More
European Union Naval Force Somalia - Operation Atalanta | Yachtsman safe after refusing to cooperate with pirates

Old 11-11-2010, 19:37   #111

good news!
Old 14-11-2010, 18:41   #112
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah
Tell you two experiences we had back in the 70s. Both in the South China Sea, one near Sulu Straits where a man and his wife were overtaken by a dirty white boat, and the lady slipped below, got their rifle and fired off a few rounds. It only took one shot from the pirate craft to blow her head open and she fell overboard, all in front of her young child. The baddies then came alongside, riffled the boat, took some gear and sped off. I met him and his son in Brunei, the boy hadn't spoken a word since the attack. A month later, we're out on charter taking Amateur Radio folk to an isolated reef in the uncharted zone when a rough looking fishing craft comes full speed at us, two desperadoes on board. I got out my trusty double barrel shotgun and as they come alongside, got ready to wave it in the air, but then they both cried out, "cigarettes, please!"

No moral here. But instead of a gun, maybe carry a Ham radio and know where you can find another ham to shout help if you need to.
Old 14-11-2010, 18:48   #113

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Heard that the Chandlers were freed by Somalian pirates this am... what great news!
Old 15-11-2010, 23:07   #114

Boat: Catalina 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie820 View Post
Huh? So by carrying a gun we are safer? How about they start to figure we are packing and instead of firing warning shots they circle the boat and fill it full of lead and when everything is quiet they board the boat and take what they want.

FIGHTING BACK IS BETTER THAN DYING A COWARD. AT LEAST I CAN GO
DOWN FIGHTING LIKE A MAN. DYING WITH MY BOOTS ON IS BETTER THAN DYING ON MY KNEES BEGGING FOR MY LIFE. I'LL TAKE AS MANY WITH ME AS I CAN.
Old 15-11-2010, 23:55   #115

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Without arms, or at least the pirates' fear of arms, convoys provide multiple victims so would seem to invite pirates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Guidelines for yachts considering a passage through the Gulf of Aden, Yemeni and Somali waters (ISAF & MSCHOA*)

Herehttp://www.mschoa.org/YachtingGuidan...0v%202%204.pdf

OrISAF : ISAF Publish Guidelines For Prevention Of Piracy

“...
5. It has long been common practice for yachts intending to transit the GoA to
form small informal convoys in either Djibouti, Aden or Salalah. It is
emphasized that this is a decision for individual skippers but the military forces
support this concept. If the convoy approach is to be followed it is suggested
that there is a limit of no more than five vessels in any one convoy. This is
because vessels will need to keep close to one another if they are to offer any
protection through numbers, and close station-keeping for the duration of the
voyage through the GoA may prove a strain particularly if short-handed.

6. Carriage of arms is not advised. There is a serious risk of escalation of the
levels of violence.
...”

* MSCHOA (Maritime Security Centre, Horn of Africa)
Home *- MSC(HOA )
Old 16-11-2010, 01:11   #116
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Without arms, or at least the pirates' fear of arms, convoys provide multiple victims so would seem to invite pirates.
If you have ever been on a start line of an ocean going yacht race as the gun goes bangedy you'd know that trying to zip between the yachts in a dinghy ain't a great idea. So boats in a convoy need to be close and when visitors arrive closer

The chances of seeing 5 yachts without sails up at 6 miles is negligible (the distance from the middle of the IRTC to the edge of the traffic lane.) But someone sitting on a hill on the Yemini coast can see downwards at the early morning reflection of sun off your deck. Then he has a whole day to go pick you up.

The Coalition navy is not allowed into Yemini Territorial waters (12 miles)

Why then do cruisers think 25 yacht convoys a few miles off Yemen with their sails up is a good idea?

Its got me buggered...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 16-11-2010, 01:55   #117

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Too bad M79s aren't standard issue for yachtsmen. If I was crazy enough to come within 1000 miles of a pirate area, I'd like to have my retired Green Beret buddy, whose favorite weapon was the M79, along too.

M79 grenade launcher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 16-11-2010, 04:02   #118

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by banyandah View Post
Tell you two experiences we had back in the 70s. Both in the South China Sea, one near Sulu Straits where a man and his wife were overtaken by a dirty white boat, and the lady slipped below, got their rifle and fired off a few rounds. It only took one shot from the pirate craft to blow her head open and she fell overboard, all in front of her young child. The baddies then came alongside, riffled the boat, took some gear and sped off. I met him and his son in Brunei, the boy hadn't spoken a word since the attack. A month later, we're out on charter taking Amateur Radio folk to an isolated reef in the uncharted zone when a rough looking fishing craft comes full speed at us, two desperadoes on board. I got out my trusty double barrel shotgun and as they come alongside, got ready to wave it in the air, but then they both cried out, "cigarettes, please!"

No moral here. But instead of a gun, maybe carry a Ham radio and know where you can find another ham to shout help if you need to.
I was only partly serious when I posted my answer. It is not reasonable to think that one AK-47 would do the trick.

Both Tom and I have been in the Army. He is a retired Green Beret. We've discussed carrying a firearm on board and have decided against the idea. Although I did like the story about the cruiser who picked up an old machine gun and mounted it on his deck for his passage through Somalie waters. Apparently some small boats decided not to attack him after seeing the machine gun. I think I remember that he didn't even know if the gun would work. He through it overboard afterwards.

Maje
Old 16-11-2010, 18:40   #119
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
FIGHTING BACK IS BETTER THAN DYING A COWARD. AT LEAST I CAN GO
DOWN FIGHTING LIKE A MAN. DYING WITH MY BOOTS ON IS BETTER THAN DYING ON MY KNEES BEGGING FOR MY LIFE. I'LL TAKE AS MANY WITH ME AS I CAN.
Sheeeessh , just keep from me man

Dave
Old 20-11-2010, 06:35   #120

Boat: Catalina 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Sheeeessh , just keep from me man

Dave
GLADLY
Closed Thread