Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2010, 07:11   #181

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
News from my local source:

"People were here last week taking what was wanted off the boat. Still no sign of Laura. Family and friends here now, and a search party has been formed to search all the shores and creeks, on the slim chance that she was washed in the inlet. People will also walk the ocean beaches (police did that last Sunday). So sad."

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 07:47   #182

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post

If you got to barometerbob.org, and click through the links shown, you can listen to today's, or up to 3 days ago's broadcasts, as well as "live" for any traffic during the day, including the actual net.

Skip
Well, I clicked around and found it but it is a .plf file and my computer does not know how to play it.

Another case of "I can't get it to work". Not unusual for me.

edit>

I found a way to do it as I have realplayer. Just have to start it manually.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 08:19   #183

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
I remember listening to Rule 62 in the checkins because they were immediately before us in the roll call. I remember hearing they were going to divert to the Bahamas but didnt hear any details or other discussion - But I wouldnt have because individual discussions between the organizers and particular boats were usually taken to another frequency and/or done after the roll call was over - I always went to sleep as soon as I checked in unless I was on watch in which case i went back to the cockpit.

I know that the Bahamas bound classes in the rally talked quite a bit about going through the cuts before they left Hampton. I think we should just wait until the crew are able to talk about it rather than speculating what that particular boat did or didnt know.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 08:27   #184
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Well, I clicked around and found it but it is a .plf file and my computer does not know how to play it.

edit>

What else might play this file? I don't have real on my PC
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 08:34   #185

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
What else might play this file? I don't have real on my PC

I have no idea but it is a free download and pretty common.
Old 22-11-2010, 08:36   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
I think we should just wait until the crew are able to talk about it rather than speculating what that particular boat did or didnt know.

Yep.
Old 22-11-2010, 09:45   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

edit>

Videolan.com has a great everything player, free; it's what I use...

L8R

Skip
Old 22-11-2010, 10:48   #188

two new items:

Private Search for Atlanta Boater Begins in Bahamas - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA, which includes a link to a new facebook page:

Login | Facebook

L8R

Skip
Old 22-11-2010, 12:14   #189

Boat: Taswell 49
Intersting thread and of course sad sad results. Im still curious about the fatigue issues that folks keep mentioning. I have on many many passages in rough and calm weather used the tactic of heaving to for resting, cooking, repairs etc.

Regardless of sea state or swell size it has made the boat a much more pleasant place. I would like to hear from participants of this years rally who used this tactic but so far have not any.

The seasickness is another theme that i have a hard time grasping. Why dont folks medicate when there are so many ways to do so? I mentioned it in a prior post but as a rule I always take Bonine regardless of the forcast or passage as it puts me to sleep. Something that is often hard to get especially early on in a passage. I dont get seasick but I do have trouble sleeping especiallty on short passages.

I suspect there is often a rush to make progress and get the passage over with on the part of many rally participants. Personally I relish time at sea and provided weather forcasts are moderate I hate to rush. Heaving to during or after bad weather to allow the off watch crew a better chance for good rest far outweighs a 5 or 6 hour shorter passage.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 12:34   #190

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
The seasickness is another theme that i have a hard time grasping. Why dont folks medicate when there are so many ways to do so? I mentioned it in a prior post but as a rule I always take Bonine regardless of the forcast or passage as it puts me to sleep. Something that is often hard to get especially early on in a passage.
Not to hijack the thread, but it's already had lots of twists and turns.

I used to use the scopalomine patch but it keeps me from sleeping. I think this is because it is an antihistamine. Some say it makes them sleep, but for some of us it is the opposite. The last couple of trips I have not used anything and I slept fine. It made a huge difference in my overall morale to get some good sleep. But I am worried about it when the weather gets really bad - I may need the medicine more.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 12:40   #191

Boat: Taswell 49
I dont think this is such a hijack as it points out the importance of knowing what seasick remedy works for you PRIOR to a big trip like the 1500. I cannot fathom someone going to sea for that long of a trip without knowing what works for their body.

I have used scopolomine in the past but i found it made me too loopy. Had a hard time concentrating on charts and things. Found Bonine, 1/2 a chewable per day, works just right. Helps me sleep and ensures I stay free from Mal de mer.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 13:06   #192

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
We used scopolomine in the 1970s as obstetric anesthesia. Some women really went bananas on the stuff. The most common side effects are dry mouth and anisocuria where the eye pupil on the side the patch is on dilates.

I was on the rally and, as stated above, we knew that the boat was diverting as a number of others did (Hatteras, Beufort, Jacksonville, Bermuda) but we were unaware of their prior Bahamas experience or of their planned landing.

This was my 7th passage and it was not the worst weather-wise I've had.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 13:39   #193
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I used to suffer from seasickness in the RN in the 60's.... there's no sympathy there in those days... you've just gotta get on with the job...
Sitting at my Sonar screen hunting that sub down and making the run to drop the mortars and I say... "Please Sir... I wanna puke" would get me a slap around the head... we also did four on four of watch keeping for weeks at a time..
I learnt to master it... or should I say myself...
I'm not saying everyone/anyone can... but it is possible for some..
The same with fatigue... its like running... once you break through the barrier your good for a lot of hours... think tired and you are tired....
Eye's drooping.. go reef the main... that wakes you up quick...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 16:03   #194

Humm

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
News from my local source:
"People were here last week taking what was wanted off the boat. walk the ocean beaches (police did that last Sunday). So sad."
LBR
Skip
1)C1500 beacon working until Fri 11/19 am
2) "People" (wonder who they were? & how easy to access the boat) taking stuff off the boat

Still curious why no pictures or more details of where the boat was sitting after that night or even now and in what condition.
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 16:12   #195

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuteman View Post
Still curious why no pictures or more details of where the boat was sitting after that night or even now and in what condition.
Postulating that maybe out of respect for Laura they are holding all of that back until they find her...

Lighting a candle for her tonight...and the crew...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, Caribbean 1500