Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 08:07   #256

Boat: William Atkin Cutter
Thank You Skip and all involved in the posting of the photos relating to Rule 62. The photos do provide valuable information to all.

First, I am astounded that this vessel came ashore in one piece, for the most part, after coming through the surf and over the reefs and onto the beach. Had all aboard been able to hang with the yacht all would most probably be with us today commenting right here, on this forum, in great detail, concerning the incident.

Second, these images are valuable to me because they have been firmly implanted into my brain and will pop up automatically anytime I have a similar decision on my plate. No words can make such an impact. We carry this with us forever, at the helm, and there is no need to go down to the cabin to read or recall what not to do.

Thank you again, all those who made this happen for us all.
LEOCAT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:14   #257

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
You must be the people that block traffic at a car wreck.
After 4 weeks, and 250 posts on the subject, you manage this?

I believe you'll find that there is concern for the presumed dead, concern for how it may have happened, objective lessons being learned, AND when some actual hard evidence is present, an attempt to understand how we might find ourselves in the same place.

That three people and the boat survived the conditions out there is actually pretty good, as you'd know if you'd seen what was happening at the time. If you didn't, you could look in my log postings where, the day AFTER, when conditions were subsiding, I got a few pictures - and put links to THOSE, too, in my log posting...

L8R

Skip, happy OUR wreck was on FLAT rock, not really nasty coral outcroppings
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:10   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
Skip, Just to help with your reconstructed time line. Rule 62 checked in with the 1500 fleet at the 1900hrs that evening, their sequence being more like 1930hrs. Any loss of comms/dismasting occurred a very short period of time before their loss of control near the cut.
Interesting...

So, someone must have heard that communication, and should have been able to chime in on what was said. There's a total paucity of hard information about anything after they indicated that they were diverting; even the story about the apparent dismasting (further supported by the port pushpit damage) which was reported very early in the discussions in various other places was sort of anonymous (undocumented by anything such as "we heard from them that...").

Or, are you referring to the automated position reporting? As much other stuff as was on the beach around the almost-pulled-to-salvage boat, if that happened at the reef, I can't imagine their managing to cut it free in what would have been a rolling situation.

For that to have happened THERE, they'd have had to trip over the reef (see the visible paint removal on the bottom of the keel), I'd think, and at that point they'd have been pretty busy trying to assess whether to abandon ship, I'd have to expect.

Either way, it's a damn shame.

Also, my apology for the duplicate posting above. I couldn't get my screen to refresh properly (another reason I detest web interfaces) on checking the main page, and so it appeared it didn't go (it was still on my screen showing "attempting"), and, klutz that I am, can't figure out how to delete it...

L8R

Skip
Old 07-12-2010, 11:32   #259

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
My boat was immediately after rule 62 in the carib 1500 roll call. I listened for rule 62 because it meant I had to get ready and report my own position. All that was said by each boat was lat/long and wind speed and direction. Sometimes people would add a one sentence fun or informative statement ("we are having mahi for dinner"). I dont recall anything from rule 62 that sounded out of the ordinary. They may have said they were approaching Marsh Harbour but I dont remember for sure.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:32   #260

AH - very interesting.

So, by deduction, they were dismasted shortly before they went on the reef. The seas certainly would have been possible for that to happen.

Almost certainly that wasn't a product of tripping over the reef with the keel, as that would have produced topsides damage.

Thanks for that input...

L8R

Skip
Old 07-12-2010, 12:53   #261

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS - Namaste
I would support that last post by sck5. Rule 62 reported in regularly by SSB up 'till and including that last night roll call at 1900hrs approx. They did not report any damage at any time. The first 30 seconds of roll call was always for emergency traffic and at no time that I remember did Rule 62 use this facility. We assumed rightly or wrongly that person(s) were sick. In hindsight had I been nearby and heard of a fellow boat diverting I might have asked if I could be of assistance but it a question I have pondered - do you offer assistance when none is asked for? We were 36 hours ahead of the fleet and so could not have helped but...?
Namaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:02   #262

Boat: 1977 shannon 38 cutter
I had hoped to be a part of the migration this year, but did not make it .Following this tragic thread carefully. Any word on an official inquiry so the speculation can be replaced with the facts of the situation?
starchaser 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 13:49   #263
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Based on the past I can tell you it is far too soon. There won't be much until there is an official determination. It takes a long time.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 08:12   #264

Re: 2010 Caribbean 1500 Rally

Really interested in helping crew on any boat for the carib1500. Two females interested have open water experience and captains license, crewed on two different boat last winter from ft lauderdale to georgetown bahamas. If you have any information or know anyone looking for crew let me know please. Thanks Mia
misa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 09:55   #265

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by misa View Post
Really interested in helping crew on any boat for the carib1500. Two females interested have open water experience and captains license, crewed on two different boat last winter from ft lauderdale to georgetown bahamas. If you have any information or know anyone looking for crew let me know please. Thanks Mia
You can do to the Caribe1500.com website and sign up on the crew list. Also I have a female friend who owns a 44' center cockpit Pearson? or gulfstar? and she is looking to take her vessel from Charleston to the Bahamas and points further south....thru the Turks and to the Dominican.
PM me if you are interested in this and I will call her.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 12:21   #266

Hi i think i just wrote you an email if it is the same person from an old post. oops. Anyways on my latest would love more information about your female friend taking her boat from charleston to bahamas my email is mmcapps3@hotmail.com thanks for the reply.
misa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 07:09   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx

You can do to the Caribe1500.com website and sign up on the crew list. Also I have a female friend who owns a 44' center cockpit Pearson? or gulfstar? and she is looking to take her vessel from Charleston to the Bahamas and points further south....thru the Turks and to the Dominican.
PM me if you are interested in this and I will call her.
Are there any center cockpit Pearsons? Any more info on your female friend going south? Dies she want/need any male crew too?
Sailon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 07:13   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailon

Are there any center cockpit Pearsons? Any more info on your female friend going south? Dies she want/need any male crew too?
Oops, to answer my own question about Pearsons, yes there are.http://www.jordanyachts.com/archives/1361
It must have skipped my mind momentarily, just how easy it is to access information in this age of google.
Sailon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 07:14   #269
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailon View Post
Are there any center cockpit Pearsons?
Actually there are several, including mine which is a 422 model. Same hull as the aft cockpit 424 but with the center cockpit/aft cabin layout.

I believe there was also a CC 39' and 53' if not others.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, Caribbean 1500