Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2010, 14:14   #31
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Agreed. I know that CF is a benevolent dictatorship. I accept that every time I sign on. But in fairness, which doesn't aways have to apply, the above statement was the same concept which I think others wanted applied to gun threads. A slight re-wording of the same concept... Nobody is telling you that you are obligated to visit the gun threads. You do have a choice if you don't like the subject.
Other than that, Merry Christmas to all!
Well, sorta, Tellie. Members have the option of ignoring any given thread, or post in a thread. That's a luxury that moderators do not enjoy.

We are responsible for everything you see on Cruisers Forum. And while something objectionable can be easily ignored by registered users, it cannot be ignored by the site staff - Lucky Us . In the instance, especially, where a post is reported to the staff, we are obligated to act.

Think of us as CF's First Responders.

TaoJones
Old 23-12-2010, 14:16   #32

Boat: Silverton 42
As a relatively new(ish) member (about a year), I think the mods do a great job here. I had one rebuke - I tried to out gross a previously gross post. Was it based on subjective criteria - OF COURSE! That's how it works. There are no absolute freedoms anywhere and frankly, absolutes are dangerous. Its a privilege to read posts and make contributions. Will one mod be more permissive than another - you bet - even the Supreme Court Justices don't always agree.... To all you mods out there - Thanks for your work. Cheers,
Bill
Old 23-12-2010, 14:17   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Aw come on guys.... this is not one bar... more like a 'Pub' with a variety of bars...
I hang out in the BS Sailors bar.... and try to confuse with flashes of intelligence (well it sounds good at the time)...
Others are in the Engineroom bar... or yet others in the Yachtsmans bar...
Can we help it if BS outnumbers brains...
Take this post for example...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 23-12-2010, 14:47   #34

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Threads that are pointless, even if sailing reacted, should be closed. This is very much a judgement call as to what is pointless, but that is why moderators are not self-appointed and there are a group of them.

If you want to discuss politics, religion (anchors), or deride your fellows, there are quite a few forums similar to CF that will give you much more leeway.

Pointless threads closed??? Now really! Pointless to whom? If it was important enough for someone to post a topic then I see not how it can be deemed pointless.

As for politics, there are times when a politician is a subject in a boating/sailing controversy so just because that subject involves a politician the post/thread should be edited/deleted???

What I have seen is the mere mention of an admired politician's name in a related boating topic has raised someone's ire, the posts was reported and edited even though it was a valid discussion of a real boating/sailing event.

I recently read a post in one of the forums where a person bragged how he was able to get other people's posts purged. NO, I am not anxious to see keyboard fights on any forum. But I certainly support rational discussions related to factual boating events even if a particular political saint's name gets mentioned.

Foggy
Old 23-12-2010, 14:49   #35
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman61
Aw come on guys.... this is not one bar... more like a 'Pub' with a variety of bars...
I hang out in the BS Sailors bar.... and try to confuse with flashes of intelligence (well it sounds good at the time)...
Others are in the Engineroom bar... or yet others in the Yachtsmans bar...
Can we help it if BS outnumbers brains...
Take this post for example...

PS - if I had the power I would close and delete some on my threads

troublemaker, don't be reporting me now, after all I took out your name to protect your rep

threads related to mods are getting almost as good as pirates, anchors, guns, and budgets
Old 23-12-2010, 14:55   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
troublemaker, don't be reporting me now, after all I took out your name to protect your rep

threads related to mods are getting almost as good as pirates, anchors, guns, and budgets

LOL.... yeah thats for sure.. nearly as good as sailing...
well..... maybe not quite that good...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 23-12-2010, 15:03   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Pointless to whom?
To the moderators. That is why we have moderators. Also to the rules. That is why we have rules.

Quote:
If it was important enough for someone to post a topic then I see not how it can be deemed pointless.
Plenty of threads start out legitimately enough, but descend into name calling and sheer hostility.

Quote:
As for politics, there are times when a politician is a subject in a boating/sailing controversy so just because that subject involves a politician the post/thread should be edited/deleted???
Of course not, the rules clearly allow this.

Quote:
What I have seen is the mere mention of an admired politician's name in a related boating topic has raised someone's ire, the posts was reported and edited even though it was a valid discussion of a real boating/sailing event.
I find this hard to believe.

Quote:
I certainly support rational discussions related to factual boating events even if a particular political saint's name gets mentioned.
I fell confident all the mods would agree with this statement. I certainly do and would be very surprised if any thread that meets this criteria was ever moderated unless it also contained a rules violation.
Old 23-12-2010, 15:22   #38

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
deleting that thread as other referenced with objectionable (according to the posted rules. (?)) content is one reason why I tend to "walk on by this bar now", and stop in ocassionally to just peek but seldom stay to play.
It aint my board and if the select few want to ride herd over it then that's fine. I didnt see or read anything in that thread that offended me and if it did I would've just left anyway.
Since they changed the look of the site I don't come here near as much as I did and you're probably all not even aware I dont.
oh well.
I don't have much to contribute anyway.
Old 23-12-2010, 15:26   #39

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
To me.......

It all comes down to ATTITUDE. It's more important then money, then success, then education, then what others think, say or do, then the past, then circumstances, appearances, giftedness or skill.

We have a choice everyday regarding our attitude. It can make or break us. It is the ONLY TRUE FREEDOM we have, to choose one's own attitude at any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.

How we respond to certain subjects on the forum is what, I believe, its censorship is about. You can do a search on any touchy subject and you will find it on the CF. But how it's discussed is what will make it, or break it!
Believe me, I've had my hand slapped a few times. Now that I'm a bit older I'm not so aggressive anymore and think out things I say a bit more.

It's the name calling, slander, insults, laguage or one vs the other that sets off the Mod's. If it's on the water we're all equal here.

Attitude!
Old 23-12-2010, 15:58   #40
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
This has been interesting (ahem) reading.

All I can think of is the teachers' voice on the Charlie Brown Specials

Whaaa-Wa.....Whaaaa....Waaaa wa wa Whaaaa?
Wa wa Wawawawa WHAAAAAAAAAAA!
Old 23-12-2010, 16:18   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
It's the name calling, slander, insults, language or one vs the other that sets off the Mod's
If all of that were eliminated CF would be better for it. I think most members agree on that. Mods actively do that now and respond to reported posts. I'm not worried about members that disagree on that because it's not changing. We are always working to do it better and faster. Lets call this the absolute low water mark. It's the high water mark that is not so easy to set. The minimum depth that a thread has to have before it is within the rules and just more than good enough to be above worthless.

Could we get to that level of definition?
Old 23-12-2010, 16:40   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
If all of that were eliminated CF would be better for it. I think most members agree on that. Mods actively do that now and respond to reported posts. I'm not worried about members that disagree on that because it's not changing. We are always working to do it better and faster. Lets call this the absolute low water mark. It's the high water mark that is not so easy to set. The minimum depth that a thread has to have before it is within the rules and just more than good enough to be above worthless.

Could we get to that level of definition?
I applaud your ambition (and optimism ) - but I think that a Forum is simply the wrong tool to achieve all that with. Nearer a blog approach.........which might be part of the answer, CF distils the "good" forum content into a blog?
Old 23-12-2010, 18:40   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post

.....Because there is, literally, no subject that is forbidden for any reason, nor will there ever be, as long as it is on topic (Sailing and Cruising) and the give-and-take among the members is kept within the Rules.

It's just that simple, really.
PERFECT! As mentioned earlier, I was merely offering a suggestion to "oil the waters" where the subject of guns and self defense aboard seemed to spike adversity.

A bit of a rhetorical question though is WHY do people who obviously disdain weapons of any kind feel the need to opine in a thread that the OP is seeking information from those that have actual experience with weapons?

To the Mods/Staff: I applaud your work and can empathize with your plight, as I mod on a few boards myself (one being firearm related ugh!). It is impossible to please everyone. That said, just because someone hits the panic button (reported post) doesn't universally mean the entire thread needs to go to the dumper. As a previous poster mentioned, there are those here (not staff) who brag about closing other posters threads.... which is sad.
Old 23-12-2010, 18:54   #44
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
As a previous poster mentioned, there are those here (not staff) who brag about closing other posters threads.... which is sad.
Can you (or the other member you mentioned) please direct my attention to an example of the sort of braggadocio you claim? Please do so in a PM. Thank you.

TaoJones
Old 23-12-2010, 18:56   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
I cannot easily, as i did not comment in that thread and do not remember the poster's handle to search by... but I WILL LOOK!