Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 21:40   #1

Location: aboard our boat and summer in beautiful Kye Bay Comox BC Canada
Boat: 78 Cooper Ketch 40 feet
Send a message via Skype™ to luepetri
Insert Pictures

Can someone tell me where the help is for inserting pictures from my computer into a message? Thanks.
luepetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:25   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
The first thing you need to do is to move the pictures from your computer to somewhere on the web. You can download a limited number of photos onto this site, or use something like photobucket. when the picture you wish to show is on the web, you use a right click from the mouse on the picture and select properties. The properties dialogue will show location. You select the whole of that data from http: all the way through to the file type identifier (e.g. jpg).

If that file identifier does not end in a graphic file format such as jpg or bmp etc then it will not show.

You copy that location message, then when in the reply to thread box, you need to click on the little icon just above the text box which looks like a couple of mountain peaks on a yellow background. This will open a little dialogue box which has a space for you to click in and then paste the location and select OK. The picture should magically appear.

a warning - if you have selected ann on-line picture store that requires a password to see individual files, this will not work.

Some programmes such as photobox provide a click box that allow you to select and copy that location data by a single click.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:44   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
In addition to the method Talbot suggested, you can click on the "paper clip" icon that shows up when you have the message pane open. Select "Browse" to find the image located on your computer that you want to include in your message, and Upload it. Preview your message--you should see the image located at the bottom of the text. Click on Submit, and your post will appear with the image included.

This almost always works. If, for some reason, the image doesn't show in the Preview pane, try uploading it again.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:52   #4

Location: aboard our boat and summer in beautiful Kye Bay Comox BC Canada
Boat: 78 Cooper Ketch 40 feet
Send a message via Skype™ to luepetri
Thanks for your help

Chief Engineer noted that below the reply pane is an option to manage attachements............quiete easily i uploaded directly from my computer and voila there appeared the picture in my reply.

Thanks all!
luepetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:11   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Yes, the "Manage Attachments" feature opens the same image upload window as the "paper clip" button.
Old 02-03-2009, 19:50   #6

Would a picture which has greater kb than 400, say between 900 and 1800kb, be automatically reduced to less than 400kb or do I have to find a way of reducing the size my-self and which software would be able to do that?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 21:35   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
The software will make it smaller - this image was 3 megs and almost 2000 pixels square(ish)... but smaller is always better. Some folks have slow connections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vacation 2008 012.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	7295  
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 21:19   #8

Thank you Janet

For presentation purpose how many pictures shoul be on a post?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:46   #9

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC
Picture removed?

I added a picture to my post yesterday using copy/paste (16kb). It was there last night, but now it just has a red x. Was it removed? Did I do something improper?

Thanks
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:46   #10

Boat: Privilege 37
To post a picture, that picture needs to be uploaded to a place like photobucket, or to the picture gallery on this site.
You then need to get the address of that picture (right click on picture, select properties, copy the address)
If the picture property does not end in bmp or jpg or some graphic file type, then it will not be useable.

Then select the button above the reply to post box (the one looking like a mountain with two peaks and a sun). This will open a box with a space for the address. paste the address into this, and with a bit of good fortune, the little red cross will be a thing of the past!