Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Would you like to have a "women on board" thread here?
Yes, definitely 13 68.42%
Sure, good idea 4 21.05%
I don't care 2 10.53%
No, we don't need one 0 0%
Definitely not 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-01-2006, 21:43   #1

Boat: East Orient 32
Idea for a new forum: women on board

Would any of the ladies here like to have a women's thread? There is one for cruising with children and pets, so how about one just for us? Somewhere we could ask about the best boat shoes that go with a dress in winter for that special occasion. Or whether Joy really is the best shampoo for using in salt water. Perhaps we could talk about missing our families and grand kids and how we keep in touch. Could we have a poll?
seagypsywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2006, 07:32   #2

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
I may not have much internet access for the next few months, but count me in!
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2006, 16:13   #3

Location: "Noosa" Australia, I am French by birth and Australian by choise.
Boat: 2 boats , a colson 21 and a bolger micro
good idea
but not talking about missing .. anyone ....please ,, just beeing totally selfish .. !!
cathyoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2006, 22:50   #4
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
I'll run this past the missus when she gets home from polishing the boat.
Seriously, a great idea. I have sought advice from women's sections for such things as buying the right weather gear">foul weather gear for the admiral.
They do seem to attract a certain level of hijacking by guys wanting to have a dig at the girls but I feel that is unlikely to happen in a mature forum such as this.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 06:13   #5

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 46 :Star-Gazy"
Send a message via AIM to gini Send a message via Yahoo to gini
Thumbs up WOMEN LIVING ABOARD THREAT

COULDN'T AGREE MORE WITH SEAGYPSYWOMAN! HER IDEA IS BLINDINGLY OBVIOUS REALLY & WOULD HELP SO MANY FIRST MATES & ADMIRALS TRYING TO MAINTAIN HOME COMFORTS ABOARD IN VARIOUS COUNTRIES. WHEN I THINK OF THE TIMES I HAVE SIMPLY GIVEN UP THE GHOST, WHILST THERE IS PROBABLY SOMEONE ON THE CRUISERS FORUM SITE WHO KNOWS...
BABS!:kissy: [B][SIZE=3][FONT=arial][COLOR=seagreen]
Old 16-01-2006, 06:13   #6

Boat: Irwin, Citation, 34' Destiny
Good Job SeaGyspyWoman

Love the idea of this forum. I've purchased an Irwin 34' and am in the process of outfitting her for bluewater sailing possibly next Winter (2007) as a "girl" captain, I can use all the help and support I can get. Thanks, SeaGypsyWoman for a job well done.

Old 16-01-2006, 17:49   #7

Boat: Transpac 49 "Pearl"
Count me in too! I would love to have more contact with sailing women!

Shari
Old 16-01-2006, 20:20   #8

Smile

YES,
I think it is a great idia. I (and my better half) have lived on board for eight years. It has taken some getting used to Giving up stuff... Cooking in a very small galley.... using a small head... All of that fun stuff. Sailing is great weather and bad...
Old 17-01-2006, 02:27   #9
Captain

Gord?
Old 17-01-2006, 04:03   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Women’s Issues ?
What are the gender issues, that would require a “woman’s” forum thread?

I have no objection to a women’s thread, but don’t understand the purpose. I can think of very few issues aboard a cruising boat (biology aside) that pertain solely to, and interest only women.

Notwithstanding the “division of labour” that inevitably tends to occur, we are all interested in, and may have something to offer towards, issues of comfort, cleanliness, nutrition, safety and seamanship, etc.

There’s more value in effective anchoring advice, from an intelligent and experienced woman, than from one whose sole credential is masculinity. Likewise, Chef Tell might have more to offer the galley, than some women.

Both men & women can benefit from the feminine point of view, when and if, there is a psychologically based difference of opinion. I see no reason to relegate the women’s point of view to some sort of "ghetto thread".

Trish Lambert’s “Take Her Sailing” website has a decent Forum, “The Virtual Anchorage”, that illustrates my point. The “First Mate's View”thread (which I assume is directed towards women’s issues) has as many posting from men as women.
Take Her Sailing: http://www.takehersailing.com/
The Virtual Anchorage: http://takehersailingboard.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x
The First Mate’s View: http://takehersailingboard.infopop.c...m/f/9956083605

BTW seagypsywoman:
- Children & Pets are a “special” case, whereas women are much like people.
- I’d suggest, that if you can have the “special occasion" dress (aboard), you could also have the shoes or ‘dress’ sandles. Boat shoes, of any description, add little to a dress.
- Men also have families, and are often tasked with the mundane mechanics of “keeping in touch”.
- Many men also have hair (I don’t) that requires shampooing. I told Proctor & Gamble of cruisers preference for their “Joy” detergent, and they replied that they don’t recommend “Joy” detergent for bathing & shampooing. P & G also indicated that lathering* is not required for cleaning. I continue to use Joy, even ashore.
* Joy, and most of the coloured detergents lather well in salt water.

Slightly off topic:
I much prefer to celebrate those things that bind us (men & women, black & white, we & they, etc) together, than those that separate us. “Liberation” movements would be much more effective, if not limited to a narrow self-interest. Ie: I can more easily empathize with “people’s” liberation, than I can with “women’s” liberation. My freedom cannot stand, in the face of your subjugation.

FWIW,
Gord May (without Maggie’s advice & consent)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 04:10   #11
cruiser

Gord
"I can think of very few issues aboard a cruising boat (biology aside) that pertain solely to, and interest only women. "
Umm, I assume you are a man. Possibly why you don't think like a woman.
I say vive la difference. We can still view the thread and contribute.
If I wanted to go cruising with a guy I would, but I want to go with my girl and if there is a topic devoted to this then I will read it and learn from it. I bet us guys' learning curves will take a big swing upwards once the girls get yakking.
Old 17-01-2006, 04:11   #12
cruiser

Maybe call it "gender specific issues", sounds a bit sterile thogh.
Old 17-01-2006, 04:38   #13
cruiser

Didn't express myself as well as I could have. I'd been blogging on a political site, railing against bureaucrats and my blood pressure was up.
Scenario.
Women's thread dealing with raising the mainsl
Lady writes that they get frustrated when they can't put enough tension on with the winch in a breeze and feel guilty getting the old man out of the cockpit.
Another lady says "don't worry", get the lazy old bugger out and make him do some work.
Me? I read this, like goofing off in the cockpit so decide to give up smoking so I can buy her a 2 speed winch for her birthday.
End result:- happy missus, no cancer, new winch, easier sailing and best of all, missus thinks I'm caring and sensitive and takes me below for a cuddle.
But seriously, how many of us would have thought to ask the question in the first place? We can't see into eachother's heads and not all of us passed communication 101 with flying colours.
Old 17-01-2006, 04:56   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Although I often find it difficult, I try to transcend my gender (male), and think like a person.

I think that “gender issues” might provide fertile (not sterile) ground for discussion & debate; but perhaps on an “alternative lifestyle” forum.

I agree that ”... us guys' learning curves will take a big swing upwards once the girls get yakking ...”.
As I previously suggested, I don’t believe that women’s interests and expertise are limited to:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forumdi...?s=&forumid=49
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forumdi...?s=&forumid=62 ,
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forumdi...?s=&forumid=61
or any other narrow constraint. Let’s not trivialize women, by suggesting that their point of view, expertise, and interests aren’t in the mainstream. I’d regret seeing a “separate but equal” status for anyone on this board.

Notwithstanding (what we see pictured in) advertisements for feminine hygiene products, I don’t picture many women discussing “women’s issues & sterility” in this venue.

Perhaps there are additional subjects that should have new & separate topic threads. What are questions and issues that have special relevance for female cruisers?
- Fashion & Grooming ?
- Pregnancy, Birthing & Abortion ?
- Pay & Job Equity ?

Raising the mains'l is a "seamanship" or "boat handling" issue, with "shorthanded" implications - not gender specific.

Respectfully,
Gord

PS:
I’ve already said more than prudence & sensitivity would dictate.

Our new owner, Andy R, indicated that ”... Right now I plan to start the upgrades in mid-January and let us get settled then start to add new features, etc. ...”

Perhaps Peter will take note of this thread, and try to optimize a thread towards women’s interests - or at least towards attracting women’s participation.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 10:47   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I think the vote should be left upto the Woman. It was a female that has asked for this, so there must be a reason she would like a "woman only" thread. It seems that most of the postive replies to the original thread starter have been Woman. It seems most of the negative replies have been Men.
I am not sure if my wife would have the courage to participateor not, but she most definatly would participate on a woman only thread, than enter the male dominante domain at present. My wife is new to sailing and full of questions in just about every area, and I know ones like Sue Wedderel would be of great help in answering questions. Not to mention, just getting to know other like minded female sailors/cruisers out there.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote