Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2010, 21:19   #1

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
First Post in a Thread

When I am looking at the list of all the threads that have recent posts in them I see two buttons and the title that will supposedly take me to different places in the thread.

The tag on the 'down' button says it will take you to the first new post.

The tag on the 'right' button says it will take you to the last post.

The tag on the thread title is the first bit of the first post. Clicking on it generally takes me to some random place in the thread. I thought it was supposed to take me to the beginning of the thread. I looked on the control panel at the thread display options and didn't find anything that would change this. The titles and first several sentences are what attract me to threads, it is very annoying being taken to some place in the middle then having to backtrack.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 21:32   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I have noticed what you state.

It appears to me that if a thread has a lot of posts and you have never entered it before it does take you "somewhere" in the middle. I don't know if this is a "feature" of the software that decides the older posts are not meaningful to you or what.

It may have something to do with cookies. Once you visit a thread the software sets a cookie and remembers where you last visited.

Here is a recent discussion similar to you query about navigating threads.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ead-48339.html
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 21:45   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
I watched 'Browsing a Thread' for a while to see if it had relevant info on this. Didn't see anything. I view posts in oldest to newest order so I don't have any problem with top of page vs bottom page as discussed in that thread.

Should have included the fact that I checked a couple of very large threads I was very sure I had never read (ie. almost any catamaran thread, no problem with cats, just not my thing if they are bigger than a Hobie 21). Once again went to a random place. Do you think deleting my cookies might solve this by forcing my computer to load new cookies from the site?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote