Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2017, 15:12   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45
Potomac-Chesapeake trip last minute tips?

Hey, so I had an earlier thread about this trip here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...is-184543.html
We are heading out on Thursday and would like a last minute heads up to any tips or events going on during our trip. Here is a rough itinerary:
June 9th-14th. Washington DC. We plan to launch the boat at Columbia isle marina, and we are keeping the boat at the Capitol yacht club.
June 14th. Mount Vernon, and Mallows Bay. I plan to anchor for the night around Potomac creek or Aquia creek.
June 15th will mostly be running to either St. Marys or kinsale.
June 16th. We will head out early to get to Solomon's. And head to the Maritime museum, and probably take on fuel and water.
June 17th we will make our way to Annapolis
June 18-20th. We will pickup some friends and head to st. Michael's for a couple nights.
June 21-24rd we will be back in Annapolis.

Let me know what you think about the schedule, or if you have any cool places to see along the way. I tried to keep it to less than 50-60 miles a day so we would be good if we needed to slow down, or take cover for weather. (22knot cruise speed).
3Days_at_a_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:49   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Potomac-Chesapeake trip last minute tips?

The part from Solomons to Annapolis to St. Michaels to Annapolis seems reasonable.

Not much room to cram in too much more...

If you fancy a lunch stop, en route Solomons to Annapolis, you could try Rod 'n' Reel in Chesapeake Beach, the restaurant at Herrington Harbor South (if that's still open), or one of several restaurants in Knapp's Narrows (north end of Tilghman Island, just north of the Choptank).

In June, we usually stay at the Museum or Higgins Yacht Yard. Unless you want a pool, which means either St. Michaels Marina (good) or the hotel marina (also good) -- but they're pricier. Or you can anchor in the harbor areas, of course.

-Chris
Old 06-06-2017, 05:13   #3

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Not clear on the appeal of Mallow's Bay. At your speed you should be able to tour Mt Vernon and still make Colonial Beach.

St Mary's is cool but not walkable. You'll need a cab (which comes from Leonardtown) or Uber to get downtown. Not sure about any appeal in Kinsale. YMMV. If you get to Colonial Beach then Solomons is in reach direct.

Solomons to Annapolis you might like a lunch stop at Happy Harbor in Rockhall Creek (Deale) if you fit under the bridge. I'd rather slow down and eat lunch aboard but different strokes and all that.

In Annapolis: Davis' Pub, Boatyard Bar and Grill, City Dock if you like loud partying. Up the South River Mike's Crab House above the Rt 2 and Riva Rd bridges.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Not clear on the appeal of Mallow's Bay. At your speed you should be able to tour Mt Vernon and still make Colonial Beach.

St Mary's is cool but not walkable. You'll need a cab (which comes from Leonardtown) or Uber to get downtown. Not sure about any appeal in Kinsale. YMMV. If you get to Colonial Beach then Solomons is in reach direct.
Thanks for the response. Isn't Mallows bay where there are a bunch of half sunk/burned WW1 ships? It seems like that might be interesting to explore on the dinghy. Or is it pretty much all gone by now?

Also. I don't really have any reason to stop in kinsale or St Mary's other than needing a place to drop the hook for the night so I can get to Solomon's in a couple hours the next morning. Is there anywhere else within 30 or so miles of Solomon's coming from the Potomac that would be a good place to stop over maybe get off the boat and walk around. Oh BTW. We will have a 3 year old with us so partying is not quite our plan.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:55   #5

Boat: Carver 356

The Yeocomico or St. Mary's River both have lots of places to drop anchor. When you said Kinsale, I assumed you meant docking at Port Kinsale. which has really gone downhill. Wife and I rode by there the other day and the place is 2/3's empty.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:29   #6

Ah, thanks for the tip about kinsale, I'll probably knock it off the list of places to spend time.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Days_at_a_time View Post
Ah, thanks for the tip about kinsale, I'll probably knock it off the list of places to spend time.
If you do want to spend time in the Yeocomico, go up to Olverson's Lodge Creek marina. Transients are allowed to use marina cars to go to town for shopping, eating, etc.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:04   #8

Boat: Kha Shing (King) 40 sundeck

St. Michaels - spend a day at the museum, and there are a ton of good places to eat. Annapolis - visit the USN Academy. Don't bother with the tourist trap restaurant on Ego Alley. City Dock is cool.
flymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:05   #9

Just wanted to give a different perspective on the St Mary's anchorage. While there is no marina or shops to visit, there is a wonderful historic site. Sort of a mini Williamsburg with people dressed in costume of the 1600's and giving tours and performances. Maybe a dozen or so historical buildings to visit, an Indian village, and a farm with livestock. Worth the visit. Also the college is just a short walk from the historical site and the cafeteria was something else. If school is in session then that would be a good place to eat....buffet style and great selections. Unlike my college days.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:38   #10

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

Tangier island is a nice place to make the transition from river cruising to bay sailing. Inexpensive dock, nice walking around town, and good island food. I always enjoy the stop on the way to or from DC.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:56   #11

Thanks for all of the replys. Is point Lookout worth a stop?
Old 07-06-2017, 10:18   #12

Quote:
Thanks for all of the replys. Is point Lookout worth a stop?
Are you talking about Pt. Lookout marina on Smith Creek or the inlet right at Pt. Lookout? Pt. Lookout marina is an ok marina, with a decent restaurant.
Never been in the inlet at Pt. Lookout but I understand it can have some skinny water.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:06   #13

I was talking about the state park. I saw a dock and boat ramp there and was thinking it might be a nice place to stop and let the kid run around a bit. Looks like they have a lighthouse too? We need 4' of water.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:11   #14

Quote:
I was talking about the state park. I saw a dock and boat ramp there and was thinking it might be a nice place to stop and let the kid run around a bit. Looks like they have a lighthouse too? We need 4' of water.
I've been around that point on more than a few occasions, but have never gone into the inlet. Maybe the wife and I will run over there one day this summer in our runabout and check it out.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:33   #15

If we stop in there I'll let you know what it's like

Tags
potomac