Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2022, 06:10   #1

BD50 Fan Replacement

The fan on our compressor has started making a rattling noise when it first starts. I can push on it and it will stop but I would like to replace it.

I have a Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fan that I plan on using as the replacement but I want to make sure it is set up for the most efficient use in the tropics.

The current fan in mounted between the condenser and compressor and is pulling air through the condenser. Is this the best configuration? There is plenty of room to mount the fan on the outside of the condenser as well. Also pulling or pushing air is an option.

Thanks for the guidance.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 06:19   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: BD50 Fan Replacement

The rattle could be a worn out bearing or the tips hitting something. If it's the bearing, yeah, time to replace it since it will be a PITA to replace the bearing in a cheap fan.

Then. The job of the fan is to remove hot air from the compressor/motor/condenser. How can you best direct the air from some cool location (the bilge?) past those units and out of the boat? Don't waste air by having it bypass the hot units. If the cooling of your cooler was marginal before, consider a stronger fan and/or more ducting to make the air flow more effective in sucking hot air out.

Good luck with it.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:44   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

For our frigoboat bd50 units, we changed out the fans because they we very noisy.

We bought these Noctua NF-P12 1700 rpm to replace the original fans that came w/the condensers. Compared to the original fans, they are of similar cfm, ~ half the noise and ~1/3 the power draw. The fan you selected looks like a good one and should work, but double the price of the one listed above.

The freezer compressor is in a cabinet and we added a duct to push the air out of the cabinet. The fan is mounted to pull air through the condenser and seems to work well.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:13   #4

In my installation the fan pushes air over the condenser and compressor, so a fan with the ability to overcome the static pressure was needed (forgot the noctua part number).

In your case the static pressure is on the incoming side of the fan, and you'll need to consider that - which seems less common.

I think you know this, thus your question. Any way to mount the fan elsewhere? I was planning on making a new fan shroud for either dual fans or a larger fan. Power consumption is not a consideration for all practical purposes (big picture kind of thing).
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:18   #5

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Probably the biggest assortment of fans you'll find at one site.
More air flow is always better.

https://www.newark.com/c/cooling-the.../dc-axial-fans

Tags
men