Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2022, 10:37   #1

Boat: Freedom 30
Dewatering a small space

I own a Freedom 30 with a lasdrop shaft seal. The lasdrop leaks a bit and it will be a while before I am out of the water to replace the seal. Meanwhile I need to dewater a small, relatively shallow basin under the shaft. Due to the design of the Freedom 30 there is very little volume in this area. The problem is when a relatively small amount of water collects and the boat is heeling, the water will leak out over the sidewalls and get under the floorboards, into gear stored nearby and so on. There is no danger associated, just a constant hassle with small amounts of saltwater in inconvenient places.

I have resorted to using a usb rechargable water bottle pump to get most of the water out but it is a manual process and a big PIA. Any ides for some sort of automated or remote control pump or whatever which can pump small volumes of water but do so to almost dry?
wmcunninghamii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 10:54   #2

Re: Dewatering a small space

There are different executions out there, but these websites should give you a general idea of the design and what to start searching against:

https://panbo.com/a-dry-bilge-for-50/

https://lifeempirically.com/2018/03/...-bilge-system/
Jake Tanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:41   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

Any of the diaphragm bilge pumps, that are installed above the bilge and have a suction line, will work for that. Installation is a substantial undertaking, be forewarned -- you have to affix five things in place: the suction inlet, some kind of level sensor, the strainer, the pump itself, and the discharge. The contents of the suction line will dribble back into the bilge, use smaller line if that's a problem (though that will reduce pumping speed and clog resistance)
Old 11-07-2022, 14:09   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Pack with sponges. Squeeze them out on schedule (as you work out the rate of the leak.) I'd also box the gear in plastic tubs, to keep the water out. Don't bother with plastic bags, for some reason they always leak. You'll be glad to get it fixed. Since this method uses people power, in advance pack sandwiches you like to snack on. Cheaper than electric toys that fail.

Ann
Old 11-07-2022, 14:40   #5

hells bells, that was easy. thanks for the small diaphragm pump idea. i actually have one sitting in storage! you also reminded me how helpful panbo can be.

Ann, re sponges, yea, that is what i have been doing, at least before i started using the bottle pump. didn't like getting my hands anywhere near the shaft if i happened to be motoring. prollly leaks a pint an hour more or less. just enough to be a big pia, esp. in salt. i live on a river but go to salt water for racing and other excitement. but thanks...gotta get it fixed when i get the coin together to do that and rudder bearings.
Old 11-07-2022, 15:22   #6

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

You can also pick up a small, manual bilge pump cheaply.
Just stick the inlet hose in the area you want to “dewater” and pump into a bucket.
ChrisJHC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 16:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
You can also pick up a small, manual bilge pump cheaply.
Just stick the inlet hose in the area you want to “dewater” and pump into a bucket.
That would work but I am trying to eliminate the "manual" part. The shaft well is in the aft cabin and a bit of a pain to get at so I would like to build something I can remote either auto or with a switch.

But, the bucket idea is exactly what I had in mind. I don't want the output to go into the bilge or overboard because there can be some oil in the water. I had planned to output into a couple gallon jug, the small amount of water does not justify an overboard outlet which would add a lot of extra work. I may leak a couple quarts a day, it is a bit higher when motoring but still far from a gusher.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:44   #8

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

You might consider the Whale IC bilge pump (https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/pr...dlyID=Bilge-IC) .It uses a remote Gulper diaphragm pump with a strainer/sensor/foot valve in the bilge - fits in the smallest bilges. The strainer's outlet can be rotated to exit upwards instead of horizontal for really small bilges. I highly recommend it.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:09   #9

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Amazon sells this very small and cheap 12V diaphragm pumps, with 1/4" hose in and out. One of these on a 12V timer would do.

They can run dry for a while and are actually quite efficient and cheap. Use a sponge inside a small plastic container for the suction.

For a timer there are lot of options.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 17:14   #10

Boat: Cutter rigged Tahitiana

Try babies' diapers, especially useful if there's oil in the water. Get the 'toddler' size, cut the wings off. Leave them there for a while, they also stop the water swilling around.

Unlike sponges, they will hold the absorbed water. You could just keep them in a bucket with a lid for disposal on shore.
Christian W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 18:51   #11

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

For what it's worth:

We replaced our dripless shaft seal with the boat in the water. Stuffed a couple turns of cotton line into the shaft tube with both ends sticking out, followed by toilet wax ring wax. Kept area nice and dry. When done the line made removing the wax nice and easy. Even if all the wax isn't removed, its no issue at all. Used cotton line as synthetics could melt to the shaft if not all removed.
jamhass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 18:55   #12

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

PS

Seen it done in Mexico with some rags, plastic bags and hose clamps to hold it all together. Rags kept the plastic out of the shaft log, plastic kept the water out. Nice and easy.
jamhass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2022, 07:00   #13

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian W. View Post
Try babies' diapers, especially useful if there's oil in the water. Get the 'toddler' size, cut the wings off. Leave them there for a while, they also stop the water swilling around.

Unlike sponges, they will hold the absorbed water. You could just keep them in a bucket with a lid for disposal on shore.

I’ve used adult diapers for the reason but cheaper and larger
Old 13-07-2022, 14:59   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
For what it's worth:

We replaced our dripless shaft seal with the boat in the water. Stuffed a couple turns of cotton line into the shaft tube with both ends sticking out, followed by toilet wax ring wax. Kept area nice and dry. When done the line made removing the wax nice and easy. Even if all the wax isn't removed, its no issue at all. Used cotton line as synthetics could melt to the shaft if not all removed.
The problem with a Freedom 30 is there is almost zero clearance between coupler and seal. About 1/2 inches at best. My lasdrop is a lip seal designed to be able to replace the seal while in the water but It is so tight between seal and coupler I can't get in there to do the lip seal replace while afloat. The shaft has to be backed out and etc. It is a pain.
Old 13-07-2022, 15:14   #15

OK, thanks to the great ideas I got here I went to my fifteen boxes of junk...you know exactly what I am talking about if you are a sailor. Lo and behold. I got 2 each small diaphragm pumps and two very small fountain pumps which are not much bigger than a Zippo lighter.. All are 12 VDC. Turns out these tiny fountain pumps have plenty of lift to do the job so I just need a switch (got an extra on the panel) a timer and the sponge set up. The sponge idea works perfectly cause I can cut out little bed for the pump with pick up properly oriented and I am in business. Sweet! I'll activate when I am leaking and let the timer/pump do their thing. My testing showed that 10 - 15 sec of pumping every thirty mins will do more than enough dewatering.

You may wonder why I said "when it's leaking". Turns out when I return from a trip the thing will stop leaking after a day or two. I am convinced just enough scum grows on the exterior joint between seal and shaft that the leak is plugged. My dock is in fresh water so no barnacles but I do get a scum build up on the hull. This is why I have not urgently pursued a haul out. It just has not risen to a serious issue ...yet

BTW someone mentioned those rule bilge pumps which activate every couple of minutes and sense presence of H2O by current draw diff between dry and wet. I have one installed for two years now and they are awesome. I like the fact you get feedback the thing is operating every time it turns on to sense status

Tags
water