Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2022, 09:18   #1

Boat: Tayana V 42
Frigoboat low voltage issue

My frigoboat system is experiencing low voltage issues. The problem is intermittent at times the system will run for 12 to 24 hours between having low voltage issues. The system is running on 24 volts nominal and has the Merlin automatic speed control. Batter voltage range from 25 to 27+ depending on state of charge and ongoing charging activity. Voltage at the unit is within a .10 volts of the reading at the batteries. Amp draw is within specification. The issue started this summer once I arrived in Trinidad. The humidity is higher than when I was further north. It has increased from 70-80% to 80%- 90%+ in my current location.

So far, I have done the following:

Ran a direct 10-gauge new wire from the battery bank. Wires are connected directly to the post. System has 15-amp fuse. Checked all crimps and connections more than once. Problem still occurs.

Cleaned all connections in the original wiring back to the electrical panel and cleaned connection and from panel to batter bank. Then switch back to this wiring configuration, problem still occurs.

Checked and cleaned connections at module and module to compressor.
Switched modules with spare. (No change with issue with either module).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions to try.

Jim
James R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:10   #2

Re: Frigoboat low voltage issue

Classic symptoms of a high resistance connection, and you get the same issue with a different controller.

When you ran a new power feed, did you take the wires directly to the controller or did you keep the fuse in circuit? If you left the fuse in line then that would be favorite as the culprit. Fuses are a common source of hr power issues.
Anna Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:25   #3

Boat: Tayana V 42
Re: Frigoboat low voltage issue

Thank you Anna Sail,

Yes, there is a fuse in the new line. It is a new holder and fuse. I will try removing it from the line once i get back in the water.

Have you also seen high resistance in breakers also?

Jim
James R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat