Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2022, 12:06   #1

Cost of delivery

How can one figure out a fair price for a delivery run ? I want to have some baseline understanding how that cost could be calculated. I completely understand that there are many variables that should be taken into account but I am looking for delivery run for a small sailboat in Atlantic Maritimes that might actually take a week on the water and do not know what is a fair fee to offer.
idkwiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:20   #2

Re: Cost of delivery

Are you making offers to relocation captains, or charging prices AS a relocation captain?

If the former, relocation captains usually have a general price structure and should be able to give yo an approximate cost for a delivery based on vessel, distance and navigation difficulty.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:21   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I'd do a search, this this has been asked about ten times this month, and I've answered it twice.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cost of delivery

Usual method is you contact skippers in your area of choice, see what service they offer for their rate then go with your gut for what is best for you..
The cheapest is not always the best.. but then neither is the most expensive sometimes.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient.. and politicians NEVER bite the hand that feeds.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:50   #5

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

OP it might be advantageous to provide more detail, Things like
Power or sail or even better type of vessel, planned time period, whether you'll be onboard etc.

And the description Atlantic Maritimes is vague at best, especially given that you're raising your questions on an international forum.
So knowing whether you want your vessel delivered from say Argentina to Iceland or between Panama and Puerto Rico has significant bearing.
I state this in kindness, and in the hope the quality of answers you receive will be higher.

As a guide, in the area where I am (South Pacific) a typical estimate basis is NZ$2.50 - NZ$3.00 per nm for coastal passages and NZ$2.00 per nm upwards for offshore passages (both plus airfares and stores as needed).
Old 02-02-2022, 18:04   #6

Re: Cost of delivery (updated question)

Thank you for the responses. It was wrong of me to assume that most members are from North America and would understand what region I was referring to. I have attached a map as a guide. The start and the end point are within the same province in Canada. It takes 3 hrs to travel the distance by road. However, getting a 27 foot, 7000 lbs sailboat hauled 300 km over land (blue route) will cost me a fair amount of money. Now if a skipper could bring the boat along the coast (green route) it would take at least a week (I dont know how to calculate this distance in nautical miles). This may be a fantasy but I would love to find an experienced sailor who would deliver the boat, and teach me to sail during the same run.

I am keen to hear what other members think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220202_215404.png
Views:	69
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	252298  
idkwiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 18:14   #7

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Oh. I am from near by but not the Canadian Maritimes. I have sailed most of those waters and would not be surprised if trucking was less expensive than by sea.
Especially in the spring that is not a flat water light air down wind passage.
See what delivery skippers want. Truck is not cheap but can be more predictable.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 15:06   #8

Do you already own the boat?
If not, don’t by it, it will cost to much to have it moved, compared to the cost of the boat unless it’s a nice shiny new one.
If you do.
Consider keeping it where it is for the time being, while you take a couple of courses.
Power squadron, for navigation ect.
Sail Canada for basic sailing and or sail Canada basic coastal navigation.
Sail the boat for a few easy voyages in the area where it is.
Once you are comfortable with your boat , you will be able to sail it round the coast.
It will be a really cool trip.
If you take a sailing course with a local sailing school you will meet people, and get lots of local advice. You might even find a few volunteer crew. For your learning experiences and possibly even the big voyage.

I’m from the west coast and I’m not a delivery skipper. I would enjoy the voyage, and I would want to take my time, it would take me all summer.
Because there are just so many cool places I’d have to visit.

I’m sure, it will be a memorable experience.

If you post in the crew wanted section, I’m sure you will get some bites.
Or
Google and contact a few delivery companies.

Then you can post to all the folks from the Solent you learned to sail in the Bay Of Fundy where they have real tides.
Uricanejack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 01:51   #9

I second the last post. This is roughly a 1000 miles delivery and delivering a 27' over this distance must a work of love or well paid.

If you already have the boat, you might want to approach it the way we moved our 28'-er from Holland to the Mediterranean. Instead of rushing it, we spent the whole season for the trip, whenever we could make time for it. Sometimes we drove over for an extended weekend to add a few miles. It cost us a few marina fees when we left the boat along the way for a few weeks. Sometimes for short legs we had help, sometimes we muddled along alone. It was an adventure, and when we arrived, we knew our boat a lot better.

(NB. We decided to go through the canals in France to avoid having to round the Iberic peninsula. The final trip a for us was also around 1000 miles)
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery