Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2009, 04:08   #1

Route Planning

hey im a new man on this site, and hope that someone can help me or give me a good advice here.
My question is: Is there anyone who knows or have planned a route from Ras Tanura too Singapoore. I need distance, weather and m.m. I will be very happy for any answer.
Wish all of you a great day
trinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 07:23   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
I would recommend " Ocean Passages of the World" a British Admiralty publication. Don't know where you are but in the Uk tis about 60 pounds sterling, in the USA you might find it for about 150.
an invaluable tool.
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 09:29   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Can you be more specific, trinto? Is your proposed voyage a cruise in which you want to travel from port to port, checking out the people and places as you go, or are you wanting to get to Singapore as quickly and directly as possible?

If it's to be a cruise of exploration, then I would guess that you may want to bypass Afghanistan and Pakistan after you clear the Gulf and head for a landfall on the west coast of India, then follow the coastline until you reach the tip of southern India.

At that point you can opt for the Indian coast back up to the NE, or head straight offshore for Sri Lanka. From Sri Lanka, your nearest landfall would be Banda Aceh (yes, the same Banda Aceh that was devastated by the tsunami) in Indonesia, and from that point you could follow the coastline along the north side of Sumatra and funnel naturally into the Strait of Malacca.

And, if it is a cruise of exploration, you could cross the Strait and cruise the southern Malaysian coastline as you make your way to Singapore. You will need to make that crossing at some point anyway to reach Singapore.

The Andaman (or Nicobar) Islands lie between Sri Lanka and Banda Aceh, but India does not welcome cruisers to visit there, last I heard. It will be a long slog, trinto, against the grain (west to east), but if you need to get to Singapore, it beats sailing almost all the way around the world to get there.

TaoJones

PS: Try to obtain a copy of Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes. Here's a link to the Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/World-Cruising.../dp/0070133441
Old 27-01-2009, 09:34   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Whilst nothing beats the voice of experience, the "World Cruising Routes" and "World Cruising Handbook" by Jimmy Cornell are invaluable tools for route planning.

I also recommend the Virtual Passage Planner software.
Old 27-01-2009, 10:27   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Along with Cornell's book, take a look at the NGA's Maritime Safety Information page. Select "Publications", then "Atlas of Pilot Charts". They offer a set for the Indian Ocean covering each month of the year. They're good for getting an idea of seasonal variations in average winds and currents, and other information.
Old 27-01-2009, 11:40   #6

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
If it's to be a cruise of exploration, then I would guess that you may want to bypass Afghanistan and Pakistan after you clear the Gulf and head for a landfall on the west coast of India, then follow the coastline until you reach the tip of southern India.
Given that Afghanistan is land-locked, you'll definitely want to avoid it
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 11:53   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Given that Afghanistan is land-locked, you'll definitely want to avoid it
Excellent point, Kevin! Make than Iran and Pakistan.

TaoJones
Old 02-02-2009, 08:47   #8

hey everybody whos taken time to answer my question, you have given me a lot of ideas. my route is directly from ras tanura to singapoore with a vlcc tanker, im on my last year at navigator school. so i have this projekt now, i must take care of all the work who includes a jorney with that kind of ship.sertificates, papers and so on.
best regard fom the upcoming captain
trinto is offline   Reply With Quote