Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2007, 18:37   #1

Boat: Voyage Norseman 430
In-Water Storage

I've been having a hard time finding a place to put our wide catamaran on the hard for the winter. At least that is close to home.

I have a really cheap place to keep it in the water and am seriously considering it.

What should I be concerned about if I decide to leave the boat in the water?

What are some of the reasons that I shouldn't keep it in the water?

Thanks

Let's Roll
This is the Great Adventure
toewsrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 19:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
What should I be concerned about if I decide to leave the boat in the water?
Sinking would be a big one on the list. Since I keep my boat down the street I always keep it in the water except every other year when it's hauled for painting. Security is a big concern. The situation where it is. Weather such as Hurricane danger and a host of criminal risks come to mind. Just because someone says they will watch it does not mean 24 x 7.

So how much money would you save vs. how secure and safe would it be is the computation you need to crunch.

FWIW, there isn't any place close to New Hampshire where I would leave a boat in the water over the winter. Being far away adds risks you can't really compute. If you are going to lay awake at night not sleeping then the answer is easy. You need to sleep regularly. Let that be a good benchmark in your decision. Boating is after it's all done and considered supposed to be fun.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 21:41   #3

It'll be sunny and warm in San Diego this Christmas... again. I'll be in sandals, a t shirt, and shorts. I'll be thinking about you guys up there!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 00:36   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
It'll be sunny and warm in San Diego this Christmas... again. I'll be in sandals, a t shirt, and shorts. I'll be thinking about you guys up there!
That's mean. But come to think of it, it won't get below 26C here...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:35   #5

Boat: C&C 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Last Christmas the sailing was great, nice and warm. A couple of years before there was ice on the fairways. We need to talk to those guys in Kansas about getting something besides a barbed wire and corn fields between us and the Canadian shield.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 14:06   #6

Keeping it in the water allows me to be within 15 minutes of the boat, putting it on the hard and it will be over an hour away. In the water storage at the Navy Base's marina for $300, on the hard for $3500. There are several boats that stay in the water every year at this location. It doesn't freeze and it's very secure.

Let's Roll
Old 11-09-2007, 14:21   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
It doesn't freeze and it's very secure.
You might consider a cover so long as you can handle the vetilation. Ice does form above the water and that can take it's toll in the water, but covered too tight and she won't breath and that has it's problems too. Different stuff to manage but closer and cheaper just seems like a better idea if yoiu deal with the mangement problems of ice a freezing (assuming the boat won't be iced in.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 15:15   #8

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV
I've kept boats in the water for 20 years or so of big boat boating - mostly living on board. If you are not on board, service the thru hulls, close them, winterize the engine just in case (I winterized mine even when I lived on board in D.C.), and flush/treat the heads. If you can, apply a small solar charger to the batteries (1 amp or so), but don't leave a large charger powered on, the charge will dry out the batteries unless the unit is perfect. Go visit her occasionally and enjoy the moon rise from the winter sky. /Stu
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 06:32   #9

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
I'm going to leave Andante in the water this winter. Everyone around seems to love shrink wrapping - but I can have a canvas cover made for three years cost of a shrinkwrap job.

Is it really necessary to cover the boat? Or, if I am near by and can keep an eye on her, can I leave her uncovered?

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 14:37   #10

We'll, I was going to spring the extra cash and put her on the hard, but the haul crew decided they didn't want to do it after all. I'm now looking at a couple hours away to get it on land.

I think I'll spring for the $300 in the water storage. I'll probably beach her ahead of time and do the zincs.

I was also thinking about one of those extra zincs, the carp looking block of zink with the long wire and clip. Where does that get clipped to for the best protection?

Let's Roll