Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 09:15   #1
KTP

Removing a Pacific Seacraft 34 rudder

Anyone happen to have pointers on how to block up a 1989 Pacific Seacraft 34 in order to remove the rudder? Like is there a certain minimum height you should have it so you can get the shaft out?

We are having our PSC34 hauled out for cleaning the hull and replacing zincs and I want to inspect the prop and shaft and rudder. If I see any issues and need to have it taken off the sling, I want it to be blocked correctly.

Thanks!
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:29   #2

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Re: Removing a Pacific Seacraft 34 rudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTP View Post
Anyone happen to have pointers on how to block up a 1989 Pacific Seacraft 34 in order to remove the rudder? Like is there a certain minimum height you should have it so you can get the shaft out?

We are having our PSC34 hauled out for cleaning the hull and replacing zincs and I want to inspect the prop and shaft and rudder. If I see any issues and need to have it taken off the sling, I want it to be blocked correctly.

Thanks!
It shouldn't be hard to figure out how high you need to go. You'll only need to measure the shaft on the inside from the base of the hull to the top of the shaft, then from the base of the rudder to the bottom of the hull where the shaft enters. Maybe add an inch or two for safety, then add the numbers up.

That will be the minimum height you'll need to have between the ground and the entry point of your shaft.

As for blocking, depending on the height, you'll have to discuss with the yard to see if their stands can support that height, otherwise you may need to do it while in the slings.

If the blocks they use cant support it, I'd pull it while in the slings, have them toss me on blocks as usual, then have them hang me over night for the reinstallation while being splashed first thing in the morning.

Hanging overnight would give you the ability to get anti fouling put when the jacks are and get some under the keel. Gives you all night to get the rudder put back on as well.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:01   #3

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

It won't be a quick job and most boat yards won't leave you in the sling that long. I've seen where the boatyard guys just dig a hole for the rudder and fill it back in when you launch.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:05   #4
KTP

Yeah removing the PSC34 rudder is anything but quick, even with our new quadrant and no big motor in the way. It took me weeks to get the old quadrant off, ended up breaking it in half with a hydraulic jack. It is one of the flaws in the PSC design.
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:20   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31

KTP,

Just pulled my rudder to do cutless and bushings.
Miine's a PSC31 so not entirely same/same but close. I found a document that indicated 13" drop. Turned out more like 18" but not a bad dig. I'm on the hard. Won't be able to dig paved but if they give you any lift you should be ok.
I removed the gudgeon first and blocked the rudder.
Not much problem with the quadrant. It separated agreeably once the fasteners where removed.
One thing that I hadn't considered but was brought to my attention by a local marine fabricator, that if the shaft is worn at the packing you can install a longer log hose to move the packing to a new / fresh location.
It'll take two sets of hands to get everything inspected and back together in one day, with some luck.
Hope it goes well for you,
Rob
The Legacy
RLaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 17:49   #6

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

You can Contact Bob Perry He designed that boat he will answer any Questions you have just Google his site
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 20:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
You can Contact Bob Perry He designed that boat he will answer any Questions you have just Google his site
If you are referring to the OP, Bob Perry did not design the PSC 34. The Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, was designed by W.I.B. Crealock. Seems that both he and Perry had similar design philosophies though.
elliowb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 20:59   #8

Quote:
Yeah removing the PSC34 rudder is anything but quick, even with our new quadrant and no big motor in the way. It took me weeks to get the old quadrant off, ended up breaking it in half with a hydraulic jack. It is one of the flaws in the PSC design.
Sorry that you had so much difficulty. When I removed my rudder year before last, my quadrant bolts only need a mild amount of persuasion (a little PB Blaster and a bit of heat did the trick).

I know my post is late for you, but if there are others out there doing this job, you should make sure that you have at least 21 inches of clearance below the bottom of the rudders skeg. I was able to remove and reinstall the rudder single-handed with the help of a auto floor jack and some blocking. It worked out very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1424.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	207870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1432.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	207871  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1447.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	207872  
Old 30-01-2020, 21:49   #9

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliowb View Post
If you are referring to the OP, Bob Perry did not design the PSC 34. The Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, was designed by W.I.B. Crealock. Seems that both he and Perry had similar design philosophies though.
... and if you get a hold of Bill Crealock please be sure to let us all know
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 21:55   #10

Quote:
Sorry that you had so much difficulty. When I removed my rudder year before last, my quadrant bolts only need a mild amount of persuasion (a little PB Blaster and a bit of heat did the trick).

I know my post is late for you, but if there are others out there doing this job, you should make sure that you have at least 21 inches of clearance below the bottom of the rudders skeg. I was able to remove and reinstall the rudder single-handed with the help of a auto floor jack and some blocking. It worked out very well.
Old 31-01-2020, 20:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
... and if you get a hold of Bill Crealock please be sure to let us all know
We could try a seance. Probably not necessary to figure out how to remove the rudder though.
Old 15-07-2020, 20:45   #12

Boat: Moody Carbineer 52

Does anyone have a good design for a cradle to hold the rudder? My issue is that I cannot dig a hole below the hull, so the boat will need to be lifted on the yard’s boat hoist, leaving the rudder behind. It’s fairly chunky (it is on my 1976 52’ Moody, 20-plus tons); I think it’s too heavy to use a cradle of ropes, and anyway am sure the yard would not permit two guys to be up on the boat lowering the ropes while the boat is in the boat hoist slings. So a wooden cradle seems to be needed.I have played around with various design ideas but decided to pick the Forum’s ideas as no doubt someone has done this many times and has a well-tested design, which I hope they can share!
keithw88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific seacraft, rudder