Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2019, 01:37   #1

Boat: 80 Hunter 33' & 79 Catalina 27'
Venturing out of Alaska this fall for a spell.

Self taught, jack of trades, master of none, easy-going non-smoker who continues to learn and find new adventure on a daily basis.

What would you like to know about a guy of 40 who is trying to break into to sailing? And why has it taken so long? Well, time is relative.

I talk a little but would rather listen, observe and experience. Though I have been known to ramble. Most of the time, I am trying to just be, and not think too much - so, not looking for adventure, I just need to stay immersed in the real world to keep me awake and engaged.

Learning how to sail is also about getting from A to B, acquiring some new skills without dying or going broke, maybe even making a living. The question is Where is A and B? And what can we discover in between?

This fall I am heading south from Alaska to West Palm Beach, Florida to visit my girlfriend who is in school there, and I aim to stay true to my nature and sense of sustainability. Thus, sailing. And there is no hurry. I would love to hitch a ride starting anywhere in this hemisphere, but preferably west coast due south then east.

The goal is to turn each adventure into a lifestyle I can immerse myself into. I don’t have a 9 to 5. I have acquired some assets to keep me afloat, but am still doing jobs for money here and there to travel on and have fun, (or get me out of trouble). I design things, and I build things. I cook, stitch, study, research, write, fix and document. I fish, garden, hunt and gather. I shoot guns and climb mountains. Ive even jumped off a few times.

My skills and interests are diverse. I can do just about anything well but I am not an outspoken person. Not the life of the party.
In fact, at a party, I am usually the guy off in the corner, admiring the steel connection plates between post and beam.

If I am engaged in social behavior, it is likely something odd, like trying to diagnose your friend’s sister’s inexplicable abdominal pain, unaware she is trying to flirt because I am actually interested in discovering the secrets of her gut dysbiosis...thankfully, whatever I lack socially has no impact on my physical agility, speed, endurance or strength. I take great care of myself above all. One life, one body. Without one, the other doesn’t exist.

I hope this answers all your questions. I am up for entertaining any invitations, advice or recommendations.

Looking forward to sailing!
Jerami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska