Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2020, 14:31   #1

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
US Coast Guard bill of sale, CG-1340 expired?

I'm selling my powerboat so I can concentrate on refitting our sailboat. We're ready to commence on the deal - she passed her survey and the buyer handed me a check.

I went in search of the Coast Guard bill of sale - CG-1340, but the latest version on the CG's own website expired on 31 July 2019. Could the sale be legally challenged at a later date if we have a signed and notorized bill of sale - but the date was executed after the sail form expired?
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:38   #2

Re: US Coast Guard bill of sale, CG-1340 expired?

I don't believe so, it's just a form that has fields needed by CG. We've completed a purchase of a boat in July and used a local marine documentation office to do all of the paperwork, they did a similar form (not official USCG) and sent it to CG, who then updated the documentation and registration information with our names and details.

Even with this form you've mentioned they process it and update the registration to the new owner as usual. The document is still legally binding once notarized and will be accepted for registration update.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:45   #3

Boat: 1977 Bodega 30
Re: US Coast Guard bill of sale, CG-1340 expired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausoleil View Post
I'm selling my powerboat so I can concentrate on refitting our sailboat. We're ready to commence on the deal - she passed her survey and the buyer handed me a check.

I went in search of the Coast Guard bill of sale - CG-1340, but the latest version on the CG's own website expired on 31 July 2019. Could the sale be legally challenged at a later date if we have a signed and notorized bill of sale - but the date was executed after the sail form expired?
I just transferred title on my recent purchase with the original notarized COD and CG-1258 (also obsolete with a 7/31/2019 expiration date) - so I don't think they're too concerned about it.

Regards,
Eric
EricJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale