Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2019, 02:57   #1

Best island/marina in the Canary Islands to find a boat for Atlantic crossing

I’m thinking of going to the Canary Islands in November to try to find a spot on a boat to cross the Atlantic. Any ideas what island I should go to? Or what marina?
I’d rather find a boat and crew doing on the cheap instead of a luxury yacht. I have no problem paying for it, but I usually like the mindset of people doing things on the cheap.

If anyone is interested I have ads in this forum.

Thanks,
/Kp
Tiki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 03:39   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 36
Re: Best island/marina in the Canary Islands to find a boat for Atlantic crossing

That would be Las Palmas Gran Canaria.

But beware your competition is enormous. Hundreds of hitch hikers literally swim to anchored boats if they've asked any and every docked yacht. The time to cross is November - January so don't bother going there in June.

Good luck!
Standbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 03:40   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best island/marina in the Canary Islands to find a boat for Atlantic crossing

Gran Canaria, Las Palmas..
But your leaving it late.. folks will already be hustling round boats as they arrive.
I had two couples and a single guy approach me before I cleared in.. and at least a couple of enquiries a day once on a berth.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 11:59   #4

Re: Best island/marina in the Canary Islands to find a boat for Atlantic crossing

Ok. Thanks guys!

I'll try the different crew/boat sites instead. I just got a little discouraged when I was contacted by a captain that wanted $5000 fot the crossing. Of course I'm willing to pay, but he had 5 other paying crew, so it seemed more like a business.

I know of crewbay, oceanlinkcrew and findacrew.
Any other site suggestions?

Thanks,
/Kp
Old 25-10-2019, 12:35   #5

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

How about smaller marinas around the islands. San Sebastian de la Gomera has merely sailing couples and solos on a budget and might need a hand. Santa Cruz de la Palma is occupied with more wealthy sailors.. Go around and talk to people!
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 08:20   #6

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

As others have said, Las Palmas, Gran Canaria.

"Sailor Bar" is the main hangout at the marina. But your chances might be better with the boats at anchor.

From what I saw when I was there, your chances greatly increase if you wear a two piece bathing suit.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 12:40   #7

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I think you are wise to pass on walking the docks in Las Palmas - it is a mob in Nov-Jan and the chances of success are small. Also, the folks charging thousands for the passage are to be avoided, as they are putting themselves in the position of a commercial operator with all that entails for registration, insurance, and liability - both greedy and dodgy.

If you do get a passage, keep in mind that once the boat arrives in the Caribbean the trip is over: no one wants a crew to stay once they have arrived. They want the crew gone and the boat to themselves. And no one else is going to be taking on crew at that time. So within very few days you will either be flying home or paying to stay in (expensive) resorts. There might be exceptions but they are few and far between. And regardless of what may be discussed in advance, after a long crossing many crew have worn out their welcome and will be asked to move on, or themselves will want to escape the owner. Just the way things are...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 13:49   #8

Simple rules:
Best marina and Island?
1. This is your own country and your own country marines.
2. UK marines in UK.
Do you want to pay $5000?
3. Make sure that it does not cost the $10000.
4. If you have $5000 maybe better for you buy old vessel and self sail at necessary place if you so want "Atlantic crossing".
5. If you have $5000 maybe better for you flight to necessary place and sail there. Because this "Atlantic crossing" is not a fun, it is very hard and dangerous, it can be fatal.
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 07:12   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Tiki21, you didn't mention anything about yourself, and your profile is blank. It goes without saying that if you have sailing and bluewater experience, or skills like diesel mechanic or electrical/electronics, then you would be more likely to be wanted as part of a crew. At the very least you should be fit, healthy, and clean.

Catching a ride on a sailboat is not like hitchhiking in a car. You aren't just along for the ride...you are part of it. You are asking someone to feed you, give you a berth, and be responsible for your life. What do you offer in return?

And the flip side is that there are boats you do NOT want to go on. Either because they are not safe/properly equipped, or because the skipper/crew are going to make your life hell. Remember, you will be confined in a small space, in lousy conditions for 2 to 4 weeks, depending on the vessel. By "lousy" I mean the boat will be rolling 24/7 for days on end. This makes everything difficult...even getting a drink of water, or sleeping can become impossible. Add to that being wet, hungry, and seasick and it can become a nightmare. You can't just leave. Once you begin, you are on for the duration.

I signed on a crew to cross from Spain to Antigua. No sooner had the cruise begun that I found out that half the crew were novice sailors who spoke little/no english and were chain smokers (I don't smoke). The entire crew were drunks...we carried more booze than fresh water. It was a 4000 mile booze cruise and I was the designated driver. The boat was filled with new electronics and equipment (like radar) that the skipper/owner did not even know how to turn on. My handheld garmin etrex and paper charts I had purchased got us across, while the $10,000 worth of chartplotter/AIS/instruments were useless...first because nothing had been configured or calibrated, and later because the batteries ran flat from trying to keep the beer cold. I would post some pictures of the trip, but my camera was stolen just before we arrived in Antigua.

Just sayin...careful what you wish for...
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 08:42   #10

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I think you are wise to pass on walking the docks in Las Palmas - it is a mob in Nov-Jan and the chances of success are small. Also, the folks charging thousands for the passage are to be avoided, as they are putting themselves in the position of a commercial operator with all that entails for registration, insurance, and liability - both greedy and dodgy.

If you do get a passage, keep in mind that once the boat arrives in the Caribbean the trip is over: no one wants a crew to stay once they have arrived. They want the crew gone and the boat to themselves. And no one else is going to be taking on crew at that time. So within very few days you will either be flying home or paying to stay in (expensive) resorts. There might be exceptions but they are few and far between. And regardless of what may be discussed in advance, after a long crossing many crew have worn out their welcome and will be asked to move on, or themselves will want to escape the owner. Just the way things are...

Greg
Additionally the skipper/owner is required to check in all of his crew at customs/immigration on arrival and each crew is required by immigration to have an ongoing departing air ticket outbound from St Lucia.

Without such evidence of repatriation, the owner/skipper can't clear the yacht for subsequent onward departure and remains responsible for buying a ticket for crew departing the boat.

Check out
The Atlantic Crossing Guide 7th edition: RCC Pilotage Foundation

https://books.google.ie/books?id=gWw...iation&f=false
kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 10:39   #11

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kish View Post
Additionally the skipper/owner is required to check in all of his crew at customs/immigration on arrival and each crew is required by immigration to have an ongoing departing air ticket outbound from St Lucia.
...snip
So nobody can stay on the boat for the next passage
(there must be tens of thousands of derelict boats there..)
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 12:18   #12

Generally no need to sail and fly to Santa Lucia. In FIG it is needed.
Old 27-10-2019, 13:10   #13

For example, this man told that he allegedly wants Atlantic crossing va2002sa@hotmail.com, Tom, Sweden. Maybe for money he cans bring and you. But while I see that only one man from this forum arrived in Mexico from Brazil, but maybe he flew. But I see that he's stuck in Mexico. Maybe at the end of his life.
Old 28-10-2019, 06:46   #14

Thank you all for your input!
I doubt it would increase my chances of finding a boat if I wore a bikini..... and if it did, I probably wouldn’t want to crew on that boat....

I have a few leads now and will try to arrange something before leaving. Otherwise I will try smaller islands.

/Kp
Old 28-10-2019, 13:27   #15

If you succeed, then write the truth about your trip here on the forum. The truth. This is the price for help.

Tags
atlantic crossing, boat