Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2021, 13:50   #1

Cracks around keel bolts in bilge on Catalina 22 Wing Keel

I am looking at a Catalina 22 1989 Wing Keel boat in very nice condition, actually kept inside and not used for the last twenty years. It comes with all the extras and two outboards and a roller furling and overall looks just absolutely excellent(including the trailer) but there are some cracks in the bilge on the inside of the keel stub that look a little frightening. I'll include a picture of the outside of the keel but you can see it is not coming off or doing the "catalina smile".

Here is the outside of the keel. Yes, it does need resurfacing with epoxy and paint, but that part I think I can manage.

It also has a small gelcoat crack around the mast step that I'm confident I can fill, I think it was probably from an overtightened shroud.

Anyway, what do you make of the bilge? Does that need to be ground out and a bit and filled with epoxy? Do I need to cut a stainless steel plate to go on top to spread the load out? Does the whole keel need to come off? Anyone seen this issue before?

Thank you! I'm sure many people will say "RUN!" but..i'd like to at least know the work involved. The boat is very inexpensive, relatively recent, and comes with multiple motors and goodies. The decks are solid and there are no signs of any leaks.
light24bulbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 13:56   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Cracks around keel bolts in bilge on Catalina 22 Wing Keel

light24bulbs,

I don't see any pictures. Here is a link for posting pictures that might help: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-133457.html

Ann
Old 11-08-2021, 13:59   #3

Since none of the image tags seemed to work, here are the imgur links
https://imgur.com/Axj2YE2
https://imgur.com/gWY4byp
https://imgur.com/nuWyXO6
light24bulbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 10:35   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I don't see enough to form a strong opinion, but I do see enough for you to go looking. Point one is that the stainless steel washers in the bilge are bent, which suggests a pretty big force applied thereto. Next take a look at the leading edge of the keel, both at the hull and where the two parts join. A problem in either place (catalina smile or hull cracks) could be covered with paint. If you find cracks there, then OK, it hit something. That does not necessarily mean run like hell, but it does go into an estimation of the work ahead.

On the deck check for a soft or waterlogged spot. Water intrusion could be the source of the crack.
Old 16-08-2021, 21:18   #5

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

The boat is very inexpensive. But.
I’m not sure how much work would be involved in fixing it.
Neither can we.
What we do know, is that lightly built production boats frequently have issues which appear limited, but end up being very extensive and costly to repair.
People rebuild wood Herreshoff day sailors and spend a thousand dollars a foot or More to do it. They consider it an investment.
We’d pass on this boat but it’s your money.
The manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 01:15   #6

The first step is to remove the gelcoat around the keel bolts & see if / how badly the underlying laminate is damaged.

Thick gelcoat cracks easily when it flexes which is what it looks like in the bilge, its what's underneath that you need to see.
Midday Gun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, catalina, keel, keel bolts