Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2021, 06:05   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Catalina 30 Stern Pulpit Removal

Looking for someone who has removed/installed the stern pulpit on a Catalina 30.

Getting ready for my next big project of updating the lifelines replacing the sagging corroded lines, seized turnbuckles, and bent stanchions.

I will need to remove the rear pulpit to have the cracked welds repaired on the forward mounting pads.

The pulpit's two forward pads are through-bolted into the lazarette on the port side and the aft berth on the stbd side.

My question is how the two rear 2 1/2 inch rectangular mounting pads on the stern are attached.

If these are bolt-through like the forward pads, then I will need to hire someone with tiny hands and l-o-n-g forearms to get thru the narrow space to the nuts & washers.

However in reviewing some old blogs it was mentioned that the bolts for these two mounting pads might actually screw into threaded metal plates which have been fiberglassed into the deck. (??)

Unfortunately I am travelling on work till March and cannot get any underside pix.

Anyone out there have experience with removing/ installing the stern pulpit?

Thanks
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:42   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Catalina 30 Stern Pulpit Removal

There are two or three different models of stern rails for the Catalina 30. I had someone hit me (while I was not there) bent the lower rail and snapped the dock line. I had a friend that one that was taken off his Cat 30 from an insurance repair and he was going to give it to me, but it would not fit. I have an older boat and the one from my friend was from a newer boat. Just saying that different models might attach differently. I never did change mine so not sure how they attach.
SDsailor50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, removal