Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2020, 11:40   #1

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Corpus Christi, TX - Anchorages

My job is currently still viable but with all the restaurants in the country closed it may not stay that way. I've been cut back from 50 hours a week to 30 to try and make it last longer (lightening the burden on the company owner). But if it goes away, staying in Key West is not an option. This town is going to be dead for a long while and is filled with out of work people for the jobs that may or may not come back.

So, I've started to do some research on a new location to be and am leaning towards Texas. I've never been there so am not really familiar with it but have been looking in the Corpus Cristi area. I've used active captain to research the possible anchorages but lack local knowledge. The biggest thing in finding a place to come to shore to get supplies and find work. I'd prefer a "pay to play" option especially after I've found work (due to the long time that it would be tied up).

Any ideas for shore access, good places to anchor, and thoughts about the area in general would be appreciated. Open to other areas along the Texas coastline as well. Thanks in advance.
Old 30-03-2020, 12:29   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Corpus Christi, TX - Anchorages

Corpus is a nice place to be with great day sailing on the bay, but good nearby anchorages are few. There is (was?) a municipal marina right on the seawall downtown. Very convenient.

While the Texas coast has a huge concentration of recreation boats in places like Kehma/Clear Lake, its not that great of a cruising ground, though there are some fun stops like Rockport, Port Aransas, and Galveston.

However, its probably more likely you can find work in Kehma/Clear Lake/Houston than Corpus.

The Florida Panhandle/Mobile Bay/Mississippi Sound areas are WAY better cruising grounds.

Also, I doubt the lack of employement is going to be isolated to Key West. Tourism/recreation is a big part of the economy of most of these venues and I expect they will all be hit hard for a long time to come.

Arrangements like Key West, where many anchor off and commute into work are uncommon on the Texas coast...in fact I cant think of anywhere thats similar to that.

There are a couple of cruising guides to the Texas coast which can help fill in the details. Both are dated now. One by Campbell and the other by Corzine. Both are on Amazon.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 12:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Also, I doubt the lack of employement is going to be isolated to Key West. Tourism/recreation is a big part of the economy of most of these venues and I expect they will all be hit hard for a long time to come.

Thanks. Yea, but Key West is ONLY tourism, and I'm not sure a lot of these mom/pop restaurants/facilities are going to reopen. I think I found the one manufacturing job down here.

Thanks for the heads up on Houston. I'll start looking in that area as well.

I had debated going up the to the panhandle of Florida. I've been in Jacksonville (3 years) and now Key West (18 months) so was looking to get out of Florida for a change of view.
Old 30-03-2020, 13:28   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

There’s nowhere in Texas that anyone anchors to live and commute to work.....exceptions of course, like 1 boat in Galveston, one in clear lake, etc....

However slips are far less expensive, so living in one is a very viable option.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 13:29   #5

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Like someone said, Corpus Christi Bay can be great to day sail, but you are wide open to predominate SE winds. Only protected anchorages are to the south, but you'd have to cross the bay to get ashore. I cant remember seeing any boats anchored in that bay long term. There is a municipal marina, but ashore is mostly some office buildings, restuarants, banks, housing. Grocery store requires a car, or maybe bus possible. The liveaboards i know there complain about distance to grocery, and that summer weekends there can fill up parking with revelers.

Port Aransas has a marina, but limits liveaboards, and i think they are currently at the limit. Even there is no public dinghy dock. You could ride a bike to grocery store though. But the city is predominately weekender homes and summer rentals, and nothing here is cheap.

Kemah area. Galveston Bay too rough for anchorage, but Clear Lake might be ok for shallow draft. That said, i know of no shore access to tie up dinghy. And Clear Lake is small and gets busy with boats, and speedsters, etc. Not aware if there are anchoring restrictions. But again i have never seen a baot permanently mored there, so maybe.

Access to decent sized cities, and also a long term anchorage, with shore access - i dont know of any in Texas. OTOH, there are a lot of marinas. Rates vary.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 13:36   #6

Thanks. I was under the impression that live aboard slips at the marinas were being drastically cut back. Is this accurate?
Old 30-03-2020, 13:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Thanks. Yea, but Key West is ONLY tourism, and I'm not sure a lot of these mom/pop restaurants/facilities are going to reopen. I think I found the one manufacturing job down here.

Thanks for the heads up on Houston. I'll start looking in that area as well.

I had debated going up the to the panhandle of Florida. I've been in Jacksonville (3 years) and now Key West (18 months) so was looking to get out of Florida for a change of view.
True, most anywhere on the TX coast has a more diverse economy than Key West.
Old 31-03-2020, 20:30   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Kemah ? Houston area---there are a couple of boats sitting out on clear lake that have been there for some time- never seen anybody on them-- there are a couple of places you mcould dock a dinghy but they are all a ways from the grocery stores-- might want to look into Waterford harbor marina or a marina close by-- very secure close to grocery etc- there are also several cheaper close by without the same amenities however you might want to realize that oil is below $25 barrel and Houston economy slows dramatically when it goes below 50. Currently everything is locked down although restaurants are available for takeout only- lots of people will soon be hurting for work in this environment unless you have a skill that is easily marketable in a down economy
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:10   #9

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Thanks. I was under the impression that live aboard slips at the marinas were being drastically cut back. Is this accurate?
Yes, that is true. Island Moorings marina in my backyard Port Aransas rebuilt and prohibits liveaboard. I don't know if others are cutting back liveaboard allowed, but certainly all have limits on numbers.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:31   #10

Boat: Whitby 42

We are in South Shore Harbor Marina. Great facilities and lots cheaper than Waterford Harbor or Watergate. Not sure about liveaboard rules.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:02   #11

Thanks for all the information. Luckily I've still got a job (1/2 pay) for now. Rent on the mooring ball here in Key West is paid until May and I have 3 months food/water. Hopefully businesses will start hiring before that runs out.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
Kemah ? Houston area---there are a couple of boats sitting out on clear lake that have been there for some time- never seen anybody on them-- there are a couple of places you mcould dock a dinghy but they are all a ways from the grocery stores-- might want to look into Waterford harbor marina or a marina close by-- very secure close to grocery etc- there are also several cheaper close by without the same amenities however you might want to realize that oil is below $25 barrel and Houston economy slows dramatically when it goes below 50. Currently everything is locked down although restaurants are available for takeout only- lots of people will soon be hurting for work in this environment unless you have a skill that is easily marketable in a down economy
Repo man? [emoji6]
Old 01-04-2020, 10:47   #13

Boat: Nauticat 43

Most of Texas' boats in the Houston area are in Kemah/Seabrook/League City/Clear Lake Shores. So, there are a lot of restaurants around. As mentioned, Clear Lake is mostly shallow draft outside the channels; deeper draft boats will need to be careful and watch tides. Anchoring out in Galveston Bay can be done but, as mentioned, it's exposed. Otherwise, the best anchoring site in the Galveston area is Offatts Bayou. I don't know the status of the Moody Gardens dock or whether it's open to all comers. But, Galveston's restaurants are within biking distance of Moody Gardens. Otherwise, if you can get a position at Number 13 restaurant, perhaps you could negotiate a benefit to stay at Pelican Rest Marina.
Old 01-04-2020, 13:01   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

I went from Key West to Kemah TX, people are very friendly and marinas are super cheap compared to fl. Water is muddy brown and weather sucks after Key West cold in winter, Ice and snow, very hot in summer. I'm back in South FL working on getting back in Keys.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 13:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding View Post
I went from Key West to Kemah TX, people are very friendly and marinas are super cheap compared to fl. Water is muddy brown and weather sucks after Key West cold in winter, Ice and snow, very hot in summer. I'm back in South FL working on getting back in Keys.
Oh yeah, Texas gets both hotter & colder than FL!

Tags
anchor, anchorages