Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 19:21   #1

Greetings from Corpus Christi Bay

Hi!
My wife and I have been sailing a little bitty Hobie 14 for abotu 20 years and decided to step it up recently. So we've passed the ASA Basic Keelboat, the 103 and just finished the 104 this weekend. We've taken a couple charters out but our goal is at least a 38 footer.
So I Googled sailing forums and joined a couple that look maininy in irons. This one looks lively enough.
I just have to say that the 104 class was an adventure. We left the Pt Aransas Jetties Saturday into 8 to 10 ft seas with a 12 to 15 knot SSE wind and Mercy! that was a huge difference than sailing on slightly choppy
bay water. talk about a golf ball in a mixing bowl... We hove to for lunch and one of the others on board started heaving to over the rail. Poor girl, her lunch was in reruns. The rest of us survived and we actually accomplished a MOB in that roller coaster. When we got back to the jetties and calmer water the rest of us were going OH HELL YES!!!!! What a rush. I wouldn't want to do that all day but it was enlightening.
BTW, I learned how to use the head in that chaos. It was a contortionist act but the floor was dry when I finished, why we have to pee at such odd moments I have no idea.
Anyway, I hope to stay here and learn from these forums so I raise a glass of rum to you all!
cbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 19:23   #2

BTW we are sacking away the dollar bills and loose change for a 28 footer at least.
It's a long goal we've had and we will meet it.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:15   #3

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Welcome aboard! CC Bay is such a great training area - just pay attention to the platforms and go cut holes in the water

I'm planning a mini-refit in February and can't wait to get back down there. Boat is in the Island Moorings marina. Hope to see you out there.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:07   #4

Boat: C&C, Crusader 40 Yellow Bird
Welcome to THE forum.
It is full of great sailors and cruiser people.
Never been down your way, but heard a lot about it.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:43   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Cbac,
Welcome aboard!! If you are a guy just learn to sit when you pee at sea. Makes for a lot cleaner head when you're done.
Glad you got a taste of weather. Our channels here are up 30 most days and down to 20 on light wind days.
I went out on a friends Columbia 28 and was impressed by its handling and sailing ability. Good one to look into if you are ready for a 28. Should be around $7500 or so. My favorite is an International Folkboat 26 but they are way too costly for their size in my opinion.
Good luck in sailing opportunities.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 13:21   #6

Congrats. I grew up in CC on the bay. Don't miss Aransas Bay and the mud island anchorage just behind the barrier island. As well as the anchorages in Lydia Anne Channel and Shanrock Cove just behind Mustang Island at the eastern end of CC bay.. PA is our favorite...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 15:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
Welcome aboard! CC Bay is such a great training area - just pay attention to the platforms and go cut holes in the water

I'm planning a mini-refit in February and can't wait to get back down there. Boat is in the Island Moorings marina. Hope to see you out there.
The platforms and the crazy black flag trails, they mark dredge pipes. they are visible from about 25yds. We thought we saw a floundering whale, it turned out to bo some huge dredge part. I'd plotted a course through the middle of it so we had to adjust our navigation a bit.

It might cool down enough outside bt Feb to do the mini refit comfortably.
Old 11-12-2007, 15:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAwkcharter View Post
Welcome to THE forum.
It is full of great sailors and cruiser people.
Never been down your way, but heard a lot about it.

Thanks! I'll venture into the other forums if I can think of anything to say.
Old 11-12-2007, 15:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Cbac,
Welcome aboard!! If you are a guy just learn to sit when you pee at sea. Makes for a lot cleaner head when you're done.
Glad you got a taste of weather. Our channels here are up 30 most days and down to 20 on light wind days.
I went out on a friends Columbia 28 and was impressed by its handling and sailing ability. Good one to look into if you are ready for a 28. Should be around $7500 or so. My favorite is an International Folkboat 26 but they are way too costly for their size in my opinion.
Good luck in sailing opportunities.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
I thought about sitting down but we were pitching around and all I could see was me ending up on the deck of the head.
Old 11-12-2007, 16:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Congrats. I grew up in CC on the bay. Don't miss Aransas Bay and the mud island anchorage just behind the barrier island. As well as the anchorages in Lydia Anne Channel and Shanrock Cove just behind Mustang Island at the eastern end of CC bay.. PA is our favorite...
I think we anchored in Shamrock cove and Aransas Bay. WE dodged mosquitoes at one point...
Old 11-12-2007, 16:28   #11

Boat: Watkins 27
I had a guy email me the other day with a 28 or 30 for sale in CC located at one of the marinas. He was from S.A. Priced at $7,500 I don't think I still have his email. Might make a WTB on craigslist for CC and see what you come up with. That is where I have been looking. We're down from Montana so I am landlocked over here in POC until I can get one myself and learn to sail. My dream.

Enjoy
David

Lostmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:24   #12

Boat: 1977 Marine Trader 40' Trawler
Send a message via Yahoo to Pappy Chris
I'm currently located here in Kansas and moving to the bay area in the coming months. In fact we are leaving at 4AM tomorrow to drive down. We are house shopping this week and my wife has a job interview at a hospital on Friday. Looking forward to moving to and sailing this area (and the lack of winter weather). I will be spending a lot of time reading in this forum for sailing information in the area. We are meeting with the people of the Bay Yacht Club for a social event on Saturday. Anyway, I own 8 boats at the present time from 21' to 30' and some are swing keel or full keel c/b. All but 1 have trailers. I only intend to keep 2 of them to bring with me. I have to sell the rest. All have projects to be accomplished of a major or minor degree and one is turnkey now. If anyone might be interested in a project boat and a great deal give me a shout and I'll give you the details. I can bring it with me if you want one of them during one of my many trips down. Chris
Pappy Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:46   #13

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Welcome!

We're local down here and have a Bristol 34 on the hard in Rockport at the House of Boats.

Our Baby B34
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:49   #14

Boat: 1977 Marine Trader 40' Trawler
Send a message via Yahoo to Pappy Chris
Fish- we're scheduled to see a house in Rockport too! We have our heart set on a 1915 Victorian up in Sinton but who knows which way the wind will blow for us. Thanks!!
Pappy Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:04   #15

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Pappy, I think I know which house, on Fulton St.? As I work in Sinton for Ma Bell, you need to come see me when your in the area. I'll PM you.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote