Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 20:27   #106

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: New Boater - is it normal protocol for a marina to not cover damages from dock ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF32907 View Post
CaptVR here, one more time.
Anyone that keeps their boat in a marina for months or years on end, and they know there system is in good condition and wiring correct.
You should ad an ISOLATION TRANSFORMER to your 110 - 220 VAC system. This will insure that you will not get degradation stray current to your boat.
These can be had for$50 - about $500. Depending on your power needs and complexity. Most standard with a single 120v 30 amp service would run around $100. plus install. Simple systems are a simple install, but remember your dealing with high voltage and can get serious real quick. My advise, if you do it yourself, have a qualified shop come out and check all electrical on board as well as a dock slip. I'm shooting from the hip, but a shop tech should not take more than about a half hour for the checks, $150 would pay for itself in property protection as well as personal safety.

Where did you find those prices? Defender has a 120V/30A isolation transformer for $600. What brand.is it and where do you get one for $100?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 21:38   #107
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub
Re: New Boater - is it normal protocol for a marina to not cover damages from dock ha

Somebody doesn't know the difference between an isolation transformer and a galvanic isolator.

Yandina has one of the better deals on simple diode galvanic isolators for the ground on a 30A shorepower service, but even that starts at $150 unless you catch one of their deals on a remanufactured unit.

https://www.yandina.com/galvanicIsolator.htm

A true isolation transformer is going to cost a whole lot more than that, and weigh quite a bit too even for a small 3600VA transformer for a 30A shorepower service. There's a lot of copper in those windings plus the steel core and the housing.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:46   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
And after being shown the error of his ways, the OP decided to call daddy's lawyer to explore the possibility of litigating over a $900 repair bill. Failing that, he spent several posts telling anybody who would listen to boycott the marina in question. Defend him all you like. I will not.
I didn't catch that part of the story, but you are right. Upon re-reading the thread, he also said he filed a small-claims' suit despite getting advice from his family attorney the claim was not clear. "Gross Negligence" is his hope, which in legal terms is a very high bar. He would have to prove the dock-hand was drunk or high or was otherwise purposefully aware of the damage he could cause - and that assumes the strut was sound (which it does not appear to be from the pink-pictures). The sad end to this story is the marina will not be inclined to help folks land their boats.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 16:18   #109

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF32907 View Post
CaptVR here, one more time.
Anyone that keeps their boat in a marina for months or years on end, and they know there system is in good condition and wiring correct.
You should ad an ISOLATION TRANSFORMER to your 110 - 220 VAC system. This will insure that you will not get degradation stray current to your boat.
These can be had for$50 - about $500. Depending on your power needs and complexity. Most standard with a single 120v 30 amp service would run around $100. plus install. Simple systems are a simple install, but remember your dealing with high voltage and can get serious real quick. My advise, if you do it yourself, have a qualified shop come out and check all electrical on board as well as a dock slip. I'm shooting from the hip, but a shop tech should not take more than about a half hour for the checks, $150 would pay for itself in property protection as well as personal safety.

I have been looking at isolation transformers and unless I am looking in the wrong places I have never seen anywhere close to $100.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 19:17   #110

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Any line from the bow should not be long enough to reach the prop. You know its going in the water at some point. At least at the stern you are there, and can see what's happening.

In the end...the blame game is a waste of time. Its your boat. You pay. If you can sweet talk the marina into splitting the damage with you, then good for you. But I expect you will never be welcome there again.

I feel your pain. The crane strap was on my prop shaft for haulout, causing major damage. You own a boat, you take the risk. I had to pay. Was not my fault. But if all damage went to the marina, every marina would have to shut down.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, dock, new boat, rot